Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
I can't believe that after my Nerd Rage in that thread I created about the inside out tracking I seem to be the only one that's thinking of getting one lol

Yep. You and I literally just switched places lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

Aekero said:

It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 

Yeah, that price was rather painful.

But spec wise, the Vive Pro was a bigger jump. It went from 1080x1200 to 1440x1600 and added headphones. The Rift-S went from 1080x1200 to 1280x1440 and removed headphones.

So if the Vive Pro was considered a Vive 1.5, then I guess Rift-S is a Rift 1.25? 🙂
(Well, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 for me, depending on the situation in which I'm using it)

You COULD argue that the Vive Pro ISN'T a bigger jump when you take the lenses into account. You shouldn't have to take apart a $1200 headset and perform surgery on it to add lenses from the GearVR to make it a decent headset.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
You COULD argue that the Vive Pro ISN'T a bigger jump when you take the lenses into account. You shouldn't have to take apart a $1200 headset and perform surgery on it to add lenses from the GearVR to make it a decent headset.

Yeah but the Rift-S is no longer a complete package either. The loss of integrated headphones and external sensors means that we need to hack it to make it a decent headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dooguk said:

Well $400 (before tax) will probably end up being nearer £500 (after tax) here in rip-off Britain.

Nope, unlikely. We'll end up paying £399.

Zenbane said:

Right, Oculus probably wants a good 100,000 million people to own a Rift-S. Compared to what... somewhere between 2-4 million who currently own a Rift CV1?

Rift-S isn't really targeting existing PCVR owners; it's targeting the global market.

If you think about it, in 12 months or 2 years at most, Lenovo will be able to partner with Oculus and sell an Oculus Ready PC for £500.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Dooguk said:

Well $400 (before tax) will probably end up being nearer £500 (after tax) here in rip-off Britain.

Nope, unlikely. We'll end up paying £399.

You might. I won't be. 😉

bigmike20vt
Visionary
i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not
replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high
spec rift as well as the rift S.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:
I can't believe that after my Nerd Rage in that thread I created about the inside out tracking I seem to be the only one that's thinking of getting one lol

Yep. You and I literally just switched places lol

That means that I should try and get myself banned from here now lol

I'm still waiting on what's going to happen with Constellation tracking and whether the Insight tracking on its own out of the box is good enough. If I do get one then I'm going to give my old Rift to a mate of mine so I want to know if I'm going to be giving him three sensors or just two lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
When the CV1 was released I believe it was made to provide the best VR immersion possible - it was original and Oculus was the leader.

My main disappointment with the Rift-S is that it looks like "the best VR HMD Oculus can make for $399" - and it looks like a copy of the WMR HMDs (with better tracking but worse res - and maybe better controllers). CV1 was an industry leading HMD, Rift-S feels like a forced solution to limit the gap to the best WMR headsets. 

I do consider Rift-S a good thing though - compared to doing nothing. But as a CV1 owner Rift-S isn't the solution I was hoping for. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

At least we now know why Brendan left...    😕
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3