Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

vannagirl said:

This seems a great gap fit if it uses touch. I trust oculus to deliver great tracking also i feel it will be a worthwhile upgrade until something much more techy comes from oculus.

hopefully it also cuts down godrays and i have psvr the design is rediculously comfy

welcome back!!

Greyman
Superstar
I think i'll stick with the Rift until they bring out a version that warrants the name upgrade and if that doesn't happen in the next year or so, then i'm sure that there will be some viable alternatives by then.

I might be tempted by the Quest however, if not just to play Beat Saber, that has just been confirmed as being one of the launch titles, whenever that is due to happen. 

If only the devs knew how to spell Sabre.   🙂

vannagirl said:

This seems a great gap fit if it uses touch. I trust oculus to deliver great tracking also i feel it will be a worthwhile upgrade until something much more techy comes from oculus.

hopefully it also cuts down godrays and i have psvr the design is rediculously comfy

Flippin heck, where did you pop up from?

As for upgrade, i don't think it's much of one.  This is great for new PC VR users, might be worthwhile if you have the money (and already have a Rift).
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:
You COULD argue that the Vive Pro ISN'T a bigger jump when you take the lenses into account. You shouldn't have to take apart a $1200 headset and perform surgery on it to add lenses from the GearVR to make it a decent headset.

Yeah but the Rift-S is no longer a complete package either. The loss of integrated headphones and external sensors means that we need to hack it to make it a decent headset.

I feel like it will be good enough - but yea - not near as good as the OG CV1 sensors are. For new users it wont matter because they wont be able to compare - but anyone with a CV1 is going to notice a big difference. At the same time - if most games dev keeps this in mind - it should be fine to a point. At the same time - Another sensor on the back for a CV2 should fix this feeling as that will cover a good chunk of the 360 view point later on.

Yep, the ability to use my external sensors are all I need, and the Rift-S is a purchase. Without the external sensors... pants.

Yup, me too. Nate Mitchell said earlier (or Monday now I'm thinking about it lol) in his interview with Norm from Tested that the sensors CAN be used, both the sensors and the cameras in the Rift S track IR LEDs after all, and they can add that if there's enough people wanting it to happen. Like I've said in my post above, I'm surprised they haven't got that ability in place right now tbh.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The Rift S - Rift second generation. We need the Rift X.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

JonJonXD
Expert Protege
I am eagerly awaiting comparisons between the vision tracking and 3/4 oculus sensor setups.

I would love to get rid of the God Rays, as that is my biggest peeve with CV1.
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

vannagirl
Consultant

vannagirl said:

Flippin heck, where did you pop up from?

As for upgrade, i don't think it's much of one.  This is great for new PC VR users, might be worthwhile if you have the money (and already have a Rift).

Haha

back to kill off this sausagefest!!!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
But, did they just announce the rift-s, so noone cared to ask about which date "spring 2019" actually is ?
 I rely on april 12th .. But do we really know ?

Just got home from work, have a shitload ot catch up on I see. 😄
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable

KlodsBrik said:

But, did they just announce the rift-s, so noone cared to ask about which date "spring 2019" actually is ?
 I rely on april 12th .. But do we really know ?

Just got home from work, have a shitload ot catch up on I see. 😄

Oh, they mean late spring early summer. Like around May or June

But what about Quest?  Release?  When?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3