Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

saami81
Rising Star
New Oculus S monitor seems good enough. Im gonna buy their new Quest console first, but if my old CV1 Monitor get broken then new S monitor is bit better replacement.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:
You COULD argue that the Vive Pro ISN'T a bigger jump when you take the lenses into account. You shouldn't have to take apart a $1200 headset and perform surgery on it to add lenses from the GearVR to make it a decent headset.

Yeah but the Rift-S is no longer a complete package either. The loss of integrated headphones and external sensors means that we need to hack it to make it a decent headset.

I feel like it will be good enough - but yea - not near as good as the OG CV1 sensors are. For new users it wont matter because they wont be able to compare - but anyone with a CV1 is going to notice a big difference. At the same time - if most games dev keeps this in mind - it should be fine to a point. At the same time - Another sensor on the back for a CV2 should fix this feeling as that will cover a good chunk of the 360 view point later on.

Yep, the ability to use my external sensors are all I need, and the Rift-S is a purchase. Without the external sensors... pants.

Pants are no good for tracking, they don't come with any USB ports and even if you get them to work with the S your legs will be cold in the winter. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
lol, saw this on reddit:
httpsireddityfpd49bc9bn21jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3ezbw/mehxtra_mehxtra/

Be good, die great !

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I wonder if the S have the pass through ability for actual WMR, that would be a nice little added feature seeing as they stuck 5 camera's around it, would seem like a no brainer to be honest with that many.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Honestly - when Oculus makes decision - they should ask us here xD they would toss us out over mins of Zen and I arguing what should be in the next headset LOL

MowTin
Expert Trustee

OmegaM4N said:

I wonder if the S have the pass through ability for actual WMR, that would be a nice little added feature seeing as they stuck 5 camera's around it, would seem like a no brainer to be honest with that many.

I heard it has passthrough. Even during setup you can see your surroundings while in the HMD. They haven't given devs access to it "yet." 

If it's possible to do mixed reality and hand tracking this may be a huge plus for the headset. Could it do some of the same things that hololens does? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

davejohnblack
Protege
Hmm, people worrying about tracking seem to have different problems to me... My biggest issue is usually losing, say, a virtual basketball behind a real chair or in a corner... rift s should help a lot with that...

Also I really love the oculus go (rift s) screens, especially for media, not sure if it is enough to justify the extravagance of upgrading from cv1. I would make fun of an iPhone user doing the same ? (my ipd seems to be the default, guess oculus have lots of data for this now...)

Wireless or a combination with quest might have been enough ?

David

Anonymous
Not applicable
This seems more like something Oculus just threw together to me.
More like a Rift version 1.2.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I agree inside out all the way BUT the touch still uses constellation just from the HMD so I see no reason why they could not keep in optional external sensors for the utmost best tracking for those who wish it
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I can see me using two headsets in future. A higher res one for sims and the Rift for roomscale.

Doesn't really bother me, though of course one headset to do it all would be better.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2