cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

278 REPLIES 278

Anonymous
Not applicable
From what we know so far - I say I am more on the ropes for No or Undecided. 60/40 atm in terms if it warrants a buy. Right now I still plan on buying a Quest as it seems more worthy of the price point because it's a on the go unit that should be fun to play with while not at home or over at someone else house (much like a console).

On the other hand - I feel like the Rift S does have some strong points for that price point. At the same time, that price point kill it for something connected to a PC that is naturally going to have more power anyways as hardware gets better. The lack of using my current tracking system sucks a bit - but something I can live with as long as vision tracking is or a good 90% what it did. From what we do know though - that isn't the case with the Rift S only doing about 80% as good but still pretty solid for the area it does track.

Along with that - there was other compromises I just don't understand. The drop in FPS/Hz seems like a silly reason. I understand it was to help keep the same specs as CV1 - but really - who cares? The performance differences is a small one and one that  they could've lied about and still got away with it honestly LOL.

The switch to fast LCD is fine - I understand again why they might have done that - but to go back to software IDP is better over a real slider is flat out stupid. The dual screen serves a purpose over the way it works and one of the main reasons they went that way in the first place. Going back now is just flat out wrong. Everyone is going to notice this when they use it if they come from a CV or a Quest.

If 100$ could fix these issues - I be more than willing to pay 100$ more to get a good refresh than this.

CrashFu
Consultant
It'll be a while before I make the upgrade  (I'll probably get the Quest first, and then need to lay off the spending for a while), but.. at some point, definitely!  Between the resolution, the inside-out tracking, the passthrough-plus system, and the potential for features like hand-tracking and mixed-reality stuff... this is a clear upgrade for only $400.

Not sure why people are talking about the minor tradeoffs like they're dealbreakers.  Could you really tell the difference between a refresh rate of 90 vs 80? 1440 resolution vs 1600?   I seriously doubt it.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I'm going to wait for more real-life reviews before committing to a Rift-S or Quest.  

I've only had my CV1 and Go for ~11 months now and I'm actually very happy with both of these.  CV1 for AAA games and flight/racing simulators, Go for media and quick VR fixes when travelling.  At this point in time I do not see anything compelling to update either of these.  Never say never though, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kzintzi
Trustee
I like my Rift, though I might look to buy a replacement if anyone is selling one since I still have that annoying height shift bug :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

falken76
Expert Consultant
I'm still happy with my CV1 even after 2 years.  This Rift S doesn't have anything that wows me and has more that makes me not want it like LCD, no IPD and wondering how the tracking behind the HMD is.  Nothing about it entices me about this thing.

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm pretty much in the No field as well. I feel like it's kind of nuts to take away so many features from the CV1 and increase the price 50 bucks. Think I'd rather buy the Quest for portability and then go for the HP or something else that's coming soon. 

Andr0ss987
Honored Guest
Just bought a CV1 a bunch of days ago, so I am a bit disappointed about this news... the most relevant feature in my case is the absence of sensor, on the other hands the LCd instead of the OLED is not a good choice, i love the real black when i an in a dark room ir in space... and maybe turn back to 80hz it is not so bad but also not so good... in addition, i heard that the cable can't be replace, it's a really bad thing for me, this means it can't be upgraded but also the connectors on the cable are the first things  that in my case can be broke , because i connect and disconnect the device every time and put it back in its box every single day.

so it's not only an upgrade, it is also a downgrade... so i'm a little bit confused...

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

It's a no from me, not needed or wanted mate. I have a CV1 and a Go. I'll probably jump ship now.

What would you jump ship to if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I don't think there's a better alternative for the price. Eventually the Vive pro will be redundant because Valve will also start using inside out tracking. The HP Reverb is the only other I can see, but it uses only 2 camera's for tracking, unlike Rift -S five camera's with a cheaper price tag.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

Techy111 said:

It's a no from me, not needed or wanted mate. I have a CV1 and a Go. I'll probably jump ship now.

What would you jump ship to if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I don't think there's a better alternative for the price. Eventually the Vive pro will be redundant because Valve will also start using inside out tracking. The HP Reverb is the only other I can see, but it uses only 2 camera's for tracking, unlike Rift -S five camera's with a cheaper price tag.

Some of us mostly play seated games so the 2 sensors is not a big deal. Yea it is terrible for games like beat saber/super active games but I still got a CV1 for that. Not like it's a very graphical game anyway and hopefully the Quest can play it proficiently enough. The big thing for me personally is when Ampere cards are going to release. I'm probably on hold until those come out unless my 1080 can power something like the HP enough. 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yup sims all the way for me @RedRizla I have the 2080ti and yearn for better resolution for those pesky dials in my cockpit. I'll await reviews but the reverb is tickling my fancy.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.