Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel like this is a better quote:

"Do you buy an iPhone this year or next year?" says Rubin. "That question is perpetual and not going away now we have the manufacturing infrastructure the world has.
"Having said that, if you haven't bought a new iPhone for several models, the vast majority of the software works the same. The software doesn't change, and that's where we are right now with our ecosystem. It is possible there'll be new hardware in the next few years, but the ecosystem... We plan on making sure that software comes with you, so there's really no reason not to buy now. Same with your phone -- you buy when you want to buy."

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:
But not everybody was happy were they? There were countless posts about the ribbon cable snapping and of people losing audio on the current Rift. Like I said in an earlier post the Rift-S has an audio jack and adding £100 to £200 to the cost of Rift -S £399, this will get you a much better pair of headphones then the current Rift's speakers. 

The sensors might still be used to track the controllers if Oculus decide to keep this in their software. I think people's feedback will make them decide to do this, so I have a feeling it will stay in for now. 

True, but now that they have a more static strap, your argument about ribbon cables breaking should now be fix, would it not? That was more of a design flaw than it was a unfix-able problem honestly. I understand GO open air speakers are good - but I love the headphones that the OG CV1 came with too. For me it's not that much of a deal breaker - but it was nice to have something over the ear that was usually only heard by you than something everyone going to be hearing along the fact that you couldn't hear anything else outside of the game too.

Granted I like the earphone jack as an option - but to be force to have to use it instead seems 100% backwards.

Like I said in an earlier post the more robust design would also make it difficult to position the speakers on each individuals ears. The current Rift has a top strap allowing you to lower it making the current Rift speakers easy to position on the ears. I prefer the new Rift -S design though due to comfort.

Let me ask you this question. Do you agree that PC-VR needs millions and not thousands of people to make it profitable? How do you reach these numbers if you are going to create a headset that is to expensive for a lot of people?

How many headsets has the Vive pro sold? I think we all no it's not millions let alone thousands. Seriously, if you don't keep prices down then you might aswell give PC-VR the kiss of death. VR companies aren't here to please us all, there here to eventually make a profit out of their product and keeping prices low will bring more people into VR.

Edit: Takes 5 seconds at most to put on a pair of headphones, so it's no big deal really when you think about it.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

MowTin said:

And maybe it's nice to have the option of not using headphone when the wife is around talking to you (or just for being aware of your surroundings) 

And if we can press a button and see the wife using passthrough, that would be good too. 

What? Wait, WHAT??? I thought we all use VR to escape from the nagging wives? Why would you want to hear them whilst using VR? lol

And then you mention seeing them in VR as well using passthrough????!!!!!????!?!?!??!?!?!

Come on mate, I think you need to reevaluate this and have a beer! hehe 😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

pyroth309
Visionary

MowTin said:

And maybe it's nice to have the option of not using headphone when the wife is around talking to you (or just for being aware of your surroundings) 

And if we can press a button and see the wife using passthrough, that would be good too. 

What? Wait, WHAT??? I thought we all use VR to escape from the nagging wives? Why would you want to hear them whilst using VR? lol

And then you mention seeing them in VR as well using passthrough????!!!!!????!?!?!??!?!?!

Come on mate, I think you need to reevaluate this and have a beer! hehe 😛

Yea that was my thought. I like to play like I don't hear her shouting at me. The passthrough though would be handy to dodge the objects she throws. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

And now tonight I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate, I'm going to start with a Toblerone and see where the night takes me...

Probably a visit to chocoholics anonymous.

You have to remember this is all about keeping prices low and getting numbers into VR. Adding £100 here an there for things like added speakers isn't going to get numbers into VR. VR will die a death eventually if it doesn't get lots of people on-board, it's as simple as that really. 

Keeping costs down is the only way to get lots of people into VR, unless you can think of another way?

I don't think I have a problem just yet, it's only my 9th Toblerone this week so far and it's only Wednesday...oh actually wait... 😮

Regarding the headphones, you say they would add £100? Really? Is this true? I thought mass produced things cost hardly anything for big companies to make? I thought the headphones would cost them like £2 - £5 ?

As for your last comment...oh you really had to ask me didn't you, oh here goes:

• We could find every PC gamer in the world and threaten them with warm apple pie in their face if they don't buy a Rift!
  • We could march the streets outside of Oculus Studio whilst shouting "Wakanda forever!!!"
  • We could stand outside the Whitehouse with peanut butter whilst shouting "we love peanuts" and then quickly biting into a Snickers.
  • We could all meet up in Rec Room and protest in VR where we don't sleep for 2 days and just drink Vodka whilst shouting bring back Palmer Luckey and bring back our headphones!!!
There's options there mate...I'm just saying!  😄 😉 😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also another thing I really like with my Rift - I have been using the  Oculus Earbuds with it , and love them. Very small and easy to use. My wife and I share an office area and they do great for me in pretty much isolating my sound to the games.
But no, Oculus chooses to go backwards on the audio as well.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@dburne - You could plug ear buds into the jack on the Rift -S. Even use some bluetooth ones from your PC.

ShocksVR
Superstar
There was a comment on the Reddit that claimed to be an Oculus/FacebookVR employee.  The comment is now deleted, but they divulged some info on Rift-S and the next planned Rift (they also stated some basic things that I guess only FB employees would know - like wall paint colors and type of candy located only at Oculus vs FB.

They said the Rift-S is a "side grade" (as many of us expected), and from the PCWorld review of Rift-S, from what Oculus told them, this idea of it being a side grade pans out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0CSmRMi2A&feature=youtu.be

The person on reddit on stated the next Rift will be a significant upgrade over CV1, and it's currently in the finishing stages. Said it would release next year, and require a GTX 1080Ti/RTX 2080 class GPU.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@dburne - You could plug ear buds into the jack on the Rift -S. Even use some bluetooth ones from your PC.

I hate BlueTooth

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

There was a comment on the Reddit that claimed to be an Oculus/FacebookVR employee.  The comment is now deleted, but they divulged some info on Rift-S and the next planned Rift (they also stated some basic things that I guess only FB employees would know - like wall paint colors and type of candy located only at Oculus vs FB.

The person on reddit on stated the next Rift will be a significant upgrade over CV1, and it's currently in the finishing stages. Said it would release next year, and require a GTX 1080Ti/RTX 2080 class GPU.

I am inclined to believe that rumor especially when I saw Nate's response to this question on the Tested video. Next year will be the year of a true CV2. I'm happy waiting another year.