Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:
How many headsets has the Vive pro sold? I think we all no it's not millions let alone thousands. Seriously, if you don't keep prices down then you might aswell give PC-VR the kiss of death. VR companies aren't here to please us all, there here to eventually make a profit out of their product and keeping prices low will bring more people into VR.

Edit: Takes 5 seconds at most to put on a pair of headphones, so it's no big deal really when you think about it.

More than 5 seconds if your headphones are already connected to your PC - but the cable isn't long enough to support full VR length. Even then - my headphones take an amp to run - are you saying that Rift S will have a built in amp to get the power my headphones provide? IF so - you got me there and I will turn red - but they don't so I don't have to worry about it lol.

Plus that is requesting more gear to put on and is one of the reasons I went with the Rift OVER the vive - I didn't want to have to deal with headphones and a bunch of other stuff when I put on my headset. I just wanted it to work. The CV1 did that. Are you saying removing them is a set - up? Because there are many people here that feel the same as me too that removing them is a set backwards either way.

Vive Pro is also in another market value of its own - hell you could raise the Rift S 300 more and still be way below that headset. Are you trying to say a 1000+$ headset is the same as a 400 or even a 500$ headset? I think you are reaching for something that doesn't match here nor anyone is comparing at any level of understanding.

I think you are miss understanding the idea of the 3 tier system - the middle teir here is for the massive market of people that don't have a PC in the first place. You could make the Rift 200$ right now and it wont sell anymore than it is right now. The problem of entry isn't the headset - its the PC in the first place. PCVR will keep growing - but to blame price on the next generation headset over current gen is silly at best. A CV1 could easier fill in the market for lower cost entry for the PC side while bring out a real refresh of the CV1.5 at around 500-600. There is no need for a 1.25 in this case. Hell the dam device is 50$ more than the current CV1 already price higher than current VR entry. They went backwards in this case as far as price. Are you trying to say that all this backwards = forwards D:? 

LZoltowski
Champion
Here are my takeaways from today:

Oculus released the CV1 and it did OKAY, but issues were apparent, sensor setup can be confusing to people, gen one lenses were not so good, requires a beefy machine, unpredictable PC market in terms of hardware costs, aka crypto mining debacle of 2018, multiple sensor USB issues etc.

Conclusion

Let's make a 3rd vertical ... platform independent, we control hardware to fine-tune software, let's bring 6dof experiences to the masses at console prices without them having to go and buy a 3000 dollar pc.

Ok sure! But we have limited resources and manufacturing and supply chain know-how and our enthusiast level first adopters are getting pissed off!

Ok, we were gonna get CV2 out now, but is it really v2 if it again requires sensors and super rigs? Where is the growth here? Mobile GO? No ...

OK LETS RESHUFFLE .... Let's divert all energy to Quest for now, let's launch an affordable platform independent 6dof experience so many people have enjoyed so far, let's make it no fuss accessible.

But what about them enthusiasts?

Ok, lets partner with an experienced manufacturer that can bring something to the market quickly, using our new tech like the lenses and Inside out tracking. Lenovo it is, this can serve as an upgrade path to fix most common issues for rifters, once Quest launches, we can get back full force onto the rift and get Caspar/Cv2 perfected so that it can truly be a stand out VR revolution.

But this is just my humble opinion based on experience:)
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

inovator said:

Zenbane :The only thing about that video you sent that was disturbing was he says the fov is more noticeable or tighter. To me that translates as smaller. That's very funny and ironic if true when so many people had on their wish listed a bigger fov.

Rift S has a bigger FOV by a few degrees

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oculus released the CV1 and it did OKAY, but issues were apparent, sensor setup can be confusing to people, gen one lenses were not so good, requires a beefy machine, unpredictable PC market in terms of hardware costs, aka crypto mining debacle of 2018, multiple sensor USB issues etc.

THAT STUFF STILL THERE THOUGH! The recommend for Rift S hasn't change short of not needed the external sensors. Aka, you still have to have a pretty beefy machine still. You are still going to have Unpredictable PC platforms, and you are still going to have issues with random problems (screen going on sooner or is DOE). Witch I understand and ok with in this case so long as they kept everything else about the same. The fact there is soo much change for little benefit of generation one users - it doesn't help them see the point in this Rift S. Most of the problems could be simple work out as far as problems with sound and design.

pyroth309
Visionary

Conclusion

Let's make a 3rd vertical ... platform independent, we control hardware to fine-tune software, let's bring 6dof experiences to the masses at console prices without them having to go and buy a 3000 dollar pc.

Ok sure! But we have limited resources and manufacturing and supply chain know-how and our enthusiast level first adopters are getting pissed off!

Ok, we were gonna get CV2 out now, but is it really v2 if it again requires sensors and super rigs? Where is the growth here? Mobile GO? No ...

OK LETS RESHUFFLE .... Let's divert all energy to Quest for now, let's launch an affordable platform independent 6dof experience so many people have enjoyed so far, let's make it no fuss accessible.

Ok, lets partner with an experienced manufacturer that can bring something to the market quickly, using our new tech like the lenses and Inside out tracking. Lenovo it is, this can serve as an upgrade path to fix most common issues for rifters, once Quest launches, we can get back full force onto the rift and get Caspar/Cv2 perfected so that it can truly be a stand out VR revolution.

I agree with all of that. I just feel like what you're getting for 399 in the Rift S is a bad deal when you consider what you're getting from the Quest for 399. The Quest is a far superior product on paper for that price. The Rift S just seems like a cost cutting measure to me that's actually more expensive for the user.

LZoltowski
Champion

Mradr said:

THAT STUFF STILL THERE THOUGH! The recommend for Rift S hasn't change short of not needed the external sensors. Aka, you still have to have a pretty beefy machine still. You are still going to have Unpredictable PC platforms, and you are still going to have issues with random problems (screen going on sooner or is DOE). Witch I understand and ok with in this case so long as they kept everything else about the same. The fact there is soo much change for little benefit of generation one users - it doesn't help them see the point in this Rift S. Most of the problems could be simple work out as far as problems with sound and design.

You should really start reading my whole posts before reacting, read the last part again 🙂

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

pyroth309 said:

Conclusion

I agree with all of that. I just feel like what you're getting for 399 in the Rift S is a bad deal when you consider what you're getting from the Quest for 399. The Quest is a far superior product on paper for that price. The Rift S just seems like a cost cutting measure to me that's actually more expensive for the user.

You can buy an iPad or a MacBook, for the price of an iPhone, different verticals, different audience, different margins

Quest and Rift are meant for different audiences. I would adjust my margins accordingly. 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should really start reading my whole posts before reacting, read the last part again 🙂

Your last part says they will keep going on a CV2 - but they are delaying that now because of Rift S most likely. We wont see a CV2 until 2020 or 2021. If you don't pick up a Rift S now - that is basically waiting 5 years for the next update. That is BS. Even then - if it sells well - they won't be working on a CV2 - no - they will be working on smaller upgrades base on Rift S - meaning whatever they do now - will refect what CV2 will have in the future. You can say good by to IDP adjustment and support for current tracking on the CV1. No more built in headphones and single display using LCD instead of OLED. If price and mass market are your goals - advance stuff like that comes MUCH MUCH slower. Do you really think eye tracking will fit into their pretty 400$ next time around?

Also, sorry if I sound a bit too.... forward - I just want to make my point strong enough that everyone understands that Oculus is going to think from a market view of things and not the dreaming hope we want it to be.

ParadoxAnomaly
Expert Protege
dvlbru57o811.gif

inovator
Consultant
Mradr that's what I said in a much earlier rant. Oculus has to do what's bests for the masses hence very slow high end development. Someday standalone will completely take over.  If the masses don't get into it the vr future will...........etc.