Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

ShocksVR
Superstar

pyroth309 said:

Here are my takeaways from today:

Oculus released the CV1 and it did OKAY, but issues were apparent, sensor setup can be confusing to people, gen one lenses were not so good, requires a beefy machine, unpredictable PC market in terms of hardware costs, aka crypto mining debacle of 2018, multiple sensor USB issues etc.

Conclusion

Let's make a 3rd vertical ... platform independent, we control hardware to fine-tune software, let's bring 6dof experiences to the masses at console prices without them having to go and buy a 3000 dollar pc.

Ok sure! But we have limited resources and manufacturing and supply chain know-how and our enthusiast level first adopters are getting pissed off!

Ok, we were gonna get CV2 out now, but is it really v2 if it again requires sensors and super rigs? Where is the growth here? Mobile GO? No ...

OK LETS RESHUFFLE .... Let's divert all energy to Quest for now, let's launch an affordable platform independent 6dof experience so many people have enjoyed so far, let's make it no fuss accessible.

But what about them enthusiasts?

Ok, lets partner with an experienced manufacturer that can bring something to the market quickly, using our new tech like the lenses and Inside out tracking. Lenovo it is, this can serve as an upgrade path to fix most common issues for rifters, once Quest launches, we can get back full force onto the rift and get Caspar/Cv2 perfected so that it can truly be a stand out VR revolution.

But this is just my humble opinion based on experience:)

I agree with all of that. I just feel like what you're getting for 399 in the Rift S is a bad deal when you consider what you're getting from the Quest for 399. The Quest is a far superior product on paper for that price. The Rift S just seems like a cost cutting measure to me that's actually more expensive for the user.

IMO, Oculus is taking a loss on Quest and going to make it up on software sales. Pretty much everyone was predicting a Quest price of $500-$600.  $399 was a big shock for ppl at OC5.

Oculus may have done the same with Rift CV1, but since users can buy games on STEAM, they probably stopped subsidizing the Rift.  Now we get the real cost.  But $400 is still affordable
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

LZoltowski
Champion

dvlbru57o811.gif

AH I do enjoy backup burner accounts so much 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary

LZoltowski said: 
Quest and Rift are meant for different audiences. I would adjust my margins accordingly. 

I do agree with that but at the same time, they are both in the same realm since Nate alluded to them playing multiplayer together and also that there would be some crossover content purchases. IE I buy it on Quest and it's also on Rift like Xbox Play Anywhere. But it is what it is. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Your last part says they will keep going on a CV2 - but they are delaying that now because of Rift S most likely. We wont see a CV2 until 2020 or 2021. If you don't pick up a Rift S now - that is basically waiting 5 years for the next update. That is BS. Even then - if it sells well - they won't be working on a CV2 - no - they will be working on smaller upgrades base on Rift S - meaning whatever they do now - will refect what CV2 will have in the future. You can say good by to IDP adjustment and support for current tracking on the CV1. No more built in headphones and single display using LCD instead of OLED. If price and mass market are your goals - advance stuff like that comes MUCH MUCH slower. Do you really think eye tracking will fit into their pretty 400$ next time around?

Hmm, I think Mradr from  yesterday has some good advice for Mradr of today:

Sweet cheeks - just be nice - let it go, sometimes not commenting is better than 2-3 post of arguing over nothing!
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/666315/#Comment_666315

Let's play the Quiet Game for a tiny bit, sugar
😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Mradr that's what I said in a much earlier rant. Oculus has to do what's bests for the masses hence very slow high end development. Someday standalone will completely take over.  If the masses don't get into it the vr future will...........etc.

We already have a similar rumor leak today about the Rift CV2. So there's no reason to push  the panic button. People need to calm down and simply take advantage of their options as Consumers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

inovator said:

Mradr that's what I said in a much earlier rant. Oculus has to do what's bests for the masses hence very slow high end development. Someday standalone will completely take over.  If the masses don't get into it the vr future will...........etc.

And my point is that CV lines ARE NOT your mass market lines - that is your mid tier hardware. The Quest IS for the mass market customers. This idea that a low price offering for the PC is just silly. Granted I am not saying doing what Vive Pro did is great either. No, but there is a middle market that people can afford and that is around the 500-600$ range and that is what PCVR should aim for while over time bring down the cost. NOT start at whatever the lowest cost is right now and give only a sub par experience in hardware. That just kicking everyone from generation one in the face. 

I am going to take some time and let everything settle and lisen to more reviews - but I just want to make it clear that so far I just haven't heard many good things about Rift S - Quest is amazing for the price - I just wish Rift S was also amazing for its price.

LZoltowski
Champion

pyroth309 said:

LZoltowski said: 
Quest and Rift are meant for different audiences. I would adjust my margins accordingly. 

I do agree with that but at the same time, they are both in the same realm since Nate alluded to them playing multiplayer together and also that there would be some crossover content purchases. IE I buy it on Quest and it's also on Rift like Xbox Play Anywhere. But it is what it is. 

Well, if it was not the case, the enthusiasts would have additional pitchforks 🙂 Really cant please everybody.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
And my point is that CV lines ARE NOT your mass market lines - that is your mid tier hardware. The Quest IS for the mass market customers.

It's not your place to decide what works for mass market lines. The lower cost of entry that the Rift-S has over the Rift CV1 allows the "mass market" to enter PCVR to play higher end titles. It's a simple concept, even if it is not the best thing existing Rift CV1 owners were hoping for.

That just kicking everyone from generation one in the face. 

Too much exaggeration and hyperbole. Slow down, turbo.

inovator
Consultant
Mradr even on pc you will have a higher entry at a lower price. 600 dollars would make me think twice and I love vr.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
And my point is that CV lines ARE NOT your mass market lines - that is your mid tier hardware. The Quest IS for the mass market customers.

It's not your place to decide what works for mass market lines. The lower cost of entry that the Rift-S has over the Rift CV1 allows the "mass market" to enter PCVR to play higher end titles. It's a simple concept, even if it is not the best thing existing Rift CV1 owners were hoping for.

That just kicking everyone from generation one in the face. 

Too much exaggeration and hyperbole. Slow down, turbo.

Yes I know, I need to take some time off here I feel.

But that is what the tier idea system works out to be. The idea is that Your First level is going to be your lowest cost while providing entry into the community. Your next tier is design to bring in the mass market providing as many things as the customer will need to get by with. The top tier wont include everything, but should provide the best in hardware and going that extra mile to be the best all around (even from past products). In this case - it seems like they just went backwards quite a bit. I feel like this is a fair idea on what a tier system should be about.