cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

Richooal
Consultant
Only if my Rift stopped working, would I consider an "S". I would consider it for a couple of seconds and then buy a Quest to use while waiting for CV2.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wmacky said:

As a rift owner and a backer of the Pimax 5K+ that was beat up badly, and ganged up on this forum and belittled by Zenbain then told that waiting for the new rift was the only true path, I would just like to say

Pimax is still a failed product in comparison, and Oculus developer info leaks talk of a new Rift CV2 being released next year that will be true Next Gen PCVR. The Rift-S is a refresh obviously, and so the truth path is still... just wait longer. Hell, even Pimax backers are still waiting today (literally) for their product to become market-ready. HTC Vive owners are still waiting for finger tracking. WMR owners are still waiting for true 360 degree room-scale with full hand-tracking.

Everyone is waiting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wmacky said:

As a rift owner and a backer of the Pimax 5K+ that was beat up badly, and ganged up on this forum and belittled by Zenbain then told that waiting for the new rift was the only true path, I would just like to say

I’ve noticed some of these active contributors aren’t very nice or accommodating.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I'm not going to jump on this Bitch-Band Wagon just yet.  However I will say I'm a bit concerned about the tracking.  What I think is a bit near sighted is not allowing the sensors to work with the S.  I'm hoping this is just temporary, and eventually Oculus will allow an optional senor plug-in, like the 3rd Sensor option Rift eventually allowed.

The controllers can still use outside in tracking so it would just be a case of Oculus keeping this in their software. Granted it would only track the controllers and not the Rift -S headset, but the controllers are really all that needs tracking when it comes to hands behind your back. Nate Mitchell said he would wait to see people's opinion on this, so all is not lost yet regarding outside in tracking.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KingDGB said:
I’ve noticed some of these active contributors aren’t very nice or accommodating.

Not a fair assessment considering that you just joined recently and your post history is almost 100% voicing your displeasure with Oculus. I don't recall having any conversations with you yet, but your comment just now only reinforces the negative intentions you've had since joining. If you want nice and accommodating then try setting a different tone. It's a community of regular people, afterall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

KingDGB said:

Not a fair assessment considering that you just joined recently and your post history is almost 100% voicing your displeasure with Oculus. I don't recall having any conversations with you yet, but your comment just now only reinforces the negative intentions you've had since joining. If you want nice and accommodating then try setting a different tone. It's a community of regular people, afterall.

That’s not true. I’ve asked some things about oculus and I’ve complained about oculus S, which is totally within my right. I’m not going to argue with you about that, it’s my opinion and it’s valid. Here you are proving my point.

I have read posts here for quite awhile. Almost every post I’ve seen you personally in is heavily argumentative, but I wasn’t actually referring to you. I don’t have negative intentions, my opinions on some Oculus things have been negative.

Ive had 0 conversations with you, but you I don’t find you to be helpful honestly so I don’t think I will be.

I don’t mean to attack you, but considering I’m not allowed to voice a clear opinion without dissent. I find it rather interesting that Since you’ve joined you have 13,000 posts. Which is over 11 per day, seems excessive to me. Maybe a break would help your tone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

KingDGB said:

Not to mention, I wasn’t referring to my personal conversations, rather how others have been treated with valid questions.

The irony is that I said that in a post complaining about you bullying people.

Wmacky
Protege

Zenbane said:

Wmacky said:

Pimax is still a failed product in comparison, and Oculus developer info leaks talk of a new Rift CV2 being released next year that will be true Next Gen PCVR. The Rift-S is a refresh obviously, and so the truth path is still... just wait longer. Hell, even Pimax backers are still waiting today (literally) for their product to become market-ready. HTC Vive owners are still waiting for finger tracking. WMR owners are still waiting for true 360 degree room-scale with full hand-tracking.

Everyone is waiting.

Failed product?  Haha

I just got finished doing a few laps in a formula 1 car using the 5K+ and my DIY full motion cockpit. Crisp view, and nice wide FOV to spot passing cars coming up from the rear.  Seems to work OK to me!

Granted this isn't a good product for poor people with less than TOTL computers. Anyway, enjoy your 3 year old product.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Well this thread began with the right intentions and was very constructive. I entered the thread to voice my opinion about the need for integration with external sensors, but before I could type anything I could see that @Wmacky already posted with a purely personal and unconstructive post, and @KingDGB is not only upvoting the immature comment, but also taking part in the action of referencing people instead of the topic. This thread will likely end up locked thanks to these two taking it downhill so quickly. Such a shame.

Wmacky said:
Failed product?  Haha

Yes, a purely failed product. I've stayed on top of the honest reviews about it. Even the official Pimax forum has only 28% of owners recommending the product.

I just got finished doing a few laps in a formula 1
car using the 5K+ and my DIY full motion cockpit. Crisp view, and nice
wide FOV to spot passing cars coming up from the rear.  Seems to work OK
to me!

If I had spent all that money, waited all that time, and talked it up so much... then yeah, I would probably do everything I could in order to salvage the situation as well. There are a few who try to make it seem like it was money well spent lol

Granted this isn't a good product for poor people with less than TOTL computers. Anyway, enjoy your 3 year old product.

Your product is 2 years old, and is still incomplete. Pot/Kettle much?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KingDGB said:

Zenbane said:

KingDGB said:

That’s not true. I’ve asked some things about oculus and I’ve complained about oculus S, which is totally within my right. I’m not going to argue with you about that, it’s my opinion and it’s valid. Here you are proving my point.

You turned a topic that is about the Rift-S in to your personal diatribe about how you have been treated. I haven't proven your point, I have just exposed your terrible double-standard. You seem to believe that you can be negative yet everyone else is supposed to walk on egg shells. Yes your opinion is valid "to you," and everyone else's opinion is valid to them as well. If you want people to act nicer then set a better tone. You are nearly 100% negative since arrival. And your attempt to derail this thread proves it.