Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Luciferous
Consultant
Stay strong and heads down chaps, going to be long wait until a worthy upgrade.

oweh7bwrcy3i.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Part two would be viewing angle. We may consider the panels in the HMD like very small panels - and physically they are compared to a TV. But when you put on the HMD, the HMD panels become utterly gigantic in size - taking most of your field of view  - and then there's another aspect to OLED vs. LCD, namely the viewing angle. Especially the ability to perceive correct colors when looking at the periphery - here're some common observations from TV panels:

"When it comes to viewing angle, Samsung touted QLED as being a significant upgrade compared to other LED TVs. Unfortunately, we have not measured any improvement on that matter. Samsung's QLED TVs perform almost the same as their predecessors, and that's in the low-end of most LCD TVs. Now, not all LED TVs have the same small viewing angles, IPStype TVs will usually do quite good. Either way, though, neither QLED nor the best LED TVs will match the viewing angle of OLED screens." (same source as previous post).

I can notice that effect even on my 85" TV (which has a high-end VA panel, but it's still LCD) - but I don't notice it on the plasma nor the CV1. 

Or two pictures may say more than 2,000 words 😉

nzfirrlo8epv.jpg
OLED top, LCD bottom - if you're in doubt 

Eye fatigue/strain may be another concern - LCD often emits much more bright light than OLED, so LCDs are great for HDR, but I'm not sure how that work for panels placed so close to your eyes. If GO users having played bright games for many hours haven't noticed increased eye fatigue this may not be much of a problem, we'll see. 

Again - I firmly believe Oculus and HTC had clear reasons for choosing OLED in 2016, and I really don't see why these reasons shouldn't still be relevant in 2019 - other than saving money. Even the Quest has OLED.

What I like about the Rift-S is the +42% more pixels, reduced SDE and god rays, but compared to the CV1 I'm not sure that these benefits make up for the RIFT-S shortcomings. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary
Speaking of HDR, I wonder when that will show up in VR. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
Interesting tweets from Tom Forsyth (former Oculus developer):

I've not seen it reported anywhere, but I believe the Rift S has eye-relief adjustment. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. The closer you can get your eyeball to the lens, the wider your FOV and the better the image quality.
So while there's no hardware IPD, you can move the lenses closer or further from your eyes. If true, that's great.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary

kojack said:

Interesting tweets from Tom Forsyth (former Oculus developer):

I've not seen it reported anywhere, but I believe the Rift S has eye-relief adjustment. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. The closer you can get your eyeball to the lens, the wider your FOV and the better the image quality.
So while there's no hardware IPD, you can move the lenses closer or further from your eyes. If true, that's great.

I wonder if that's why we're hearing mixed reports of some people saying the FoV is smaller than CV1 and some saying it's slightly larger. Would make sense. 

Wildt
Consultant

Stay strong and heads down chaps, going to be long wait until a worthy upgrade.

oweh7bwrcy3i.jpg

The one on the left is deffo LZ, but I can't quite make out the other bloke...
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Luciferous
Consultant
On the DK1 my eyelashes touched the screen 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

@dburne - You could plug ear buds into the jack on the Rift -S. Even use some bluetooth ones from your PC.

I hate BlueTooth

Yup, now we know that the real price for the CV1's awesome headphones was $200  😄

Sound is extremely important in VR, and I've been really impressed with the sound quality in the CV1. For music and TV I'm using headphones ranging in prices from about $500 to 1K, the most expensive having 50 mm driver units (12 - 24,000 Hz). And yes, my most expensive headphones are better than the CV1, but it's not night and day. Try to note the deep bass in the CV1, it's really great - and also the high-pitched noises. I've never experienced problems using the CV1 headphones - in contrary I think they are truly excellent (for the price) and extremely important for VR immersion. 

According to Cyber, CV1 audio specs were never released to the public - so I guess we can only compare subjectively, which of course also is fine. 

95nobnqxy7zd.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

hmmmmm that image is not really relevant.. lets be honest in that image the guy is onto a good thing which ever "headset" he plays with 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂