cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. Not a viable option for me since I need the full 360 spectrum. Guess I will be waiting til next year's Rift CV2. FML

Dilip
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. 

Isn't it unfair to declare without testing both side by side ...

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I just want to play Lone Echo 2, Asgard's Wrath and Stormland - which HMD should I choose?

😄 

Dead Citadel would be my most solid argument for the Reverb - but in that game I got weapons on my back... 

"Games decide HMD, HMD doesn't get to decide games" - man, what a great slogan I just made up there!  B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Dilip said:

Zenbane said:

The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. 

We have received 100% confirmation about the tracking downgrade from first-hand reviewers and Nate Mitchell himself. If a car maker tells me that there's no rearview mirror in a vehicle, I don't need to drive it myself to understand what that means.

Dilip
Rising Star

"Games decide HMD, HMD doesn't get to decide games"

isn't where anomaly or malfunction begin with...games should be independent of device supporting all devices in ideal world...

Dilip
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Dilip said:

Zenbane said:

We have received 100% confirmation about the tracking downgrade from first-hand reviewers and Nate Mitchell himself. If a car maker tells me that there's no rearview mirror in a vehicle, I don't need to drive it myself to understand what that means.

Interesting ... I would never take argument of employee of Honda over Toyota vehicle, He is duty bound to brag Honda

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S. Not a viable option for me since I need the full 360 spectrum. Guess I will be waiting til next year's Rift CV2. FML

So you aren't even buying an Oculus Quest?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Dilip said:

"Games decide HMD, HMD doesn't get to decide games"

isn't where anomaly or malfunction begin with...games should be independent of device supporting all devices in ideal world...

Maybe - in the old days I spent a lot of money upgrading for upcoming games that then got postponed several GPU generations. My lesson learned was to wait for the games you really want to experience and then find out if you needed to upgrade anything and what the best upgrade would be. 

I bought the Rift to play Lone Echo, I didn't buy the Rift because I just love testing new hardware and the stumbled across Lone Echo.

All my current games work great/flawlessly on the CV1, I think I'll wait and see what happens when games arrive I'm really looking forward to play. Waiting for faster and cheaper GPUs may also be beneficial. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Dilip said:

Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  

I dunno..... for me the HP is out as it uses an inferior tracking.... I know windows tracking is wonky, i dunno about rift S.

so that leaves simmers/seated VR... then there is the problem of the LCD screen.. which is an issue for both the HP hmd and the rift.
finally there is the FOV. does anyone really want to pay £600 for a headset with essentially the same FOV as the 3 year old hardware we already use?
honestly it blows my mind that oculus are not using quest hardware for rift S.  sure, i know the FOV is still not great but at least the res is higher and it is OLED.
I do not buy the "it is to keep low end pc users happy to be honest..... because, IF your pc is a potato then buy a quest.!  (and come on.. lets be honest a GTX 960 is pushing a potato these days.  I really do not think it is outrageous to have a 6gb  gtx 1060 as the min spec for PC VR. anyone who does not have that performance really should not be looking at PCVR imo. 
Hell if a snapdragon 835 can run a quest then an average gaming PC sure as hell should be able to!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂