cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Dilip said:
Interesting ... I would never take argument of employee of Honda over Toyota vehicle, He is duty bound to brag Honda

Well that analogy doesn't fit because Nate works for Oculus and helped create Rift-S. So that is an employee of Toyota talking about a Toyota vehicle.

Dilip
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Dilip said:
Interesting ... I would never take argument of employee of Honda over Toyota vehicle, He is duty bound to brag Honda

Well that analogy doesn't fit because Nate works for Oculus and helped create Rift-S. So that is an employee of Toyota talking about a Toyota vehicle.

I thought you refer Nate's comment as "HP" downgraded their tracking...

Dilip
Rising Star

Zenbane said:The HP Reverb is a stronger HMD but has much worse tracking than both Quest and Rift-S.

I interpret this as HP Reverb has worse tracking than both Quest and Rift S 
Isn't it what you said.

Dilip
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

Waiting for faster and cheaper GPUs may also be beneficial. 

Is in fact a best policy .. upgrading GPU over 2+ generation gives boost that you would really notice as mostly single generation upgrade adds nothing but refinement and renaming... It also matter how hard your earned money is and how much you appreciate them while spending.

Dilip
Rising Star
RIFT S was kept under powered to not to steal show from Quest, is my strong feeling too..come on FB can and surely deliver HI Res OLED Twin Displays as this price point ($400).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Dilip said:
I interpret this as HP Reverb has worse tracking than both Quest and Rift S 
Isn't it what you said.

Nate (Toyota) said that Rift-S has behind-the-back tracking issues. And HP (Honda) has said that Reverb is using 2-front facing cameras.

Do you get it now?

Dilip
Rising Star
So HP is inferior in tracking to RIFT S for not having top camera too..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Dilip said:

So HP is inferior in tracking to RIFT S for not having top camera too..

HP has 2 front-facing Cameras. Quest has 4 cameras. Rift-S has 5 cameras.

It's not just the "top camera" that HP is missing when compared to Quest and Rift-S.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea the HP tracking is going to be way worse than the Quest or RiftS. It's the same as an Odyssey+ which also has a bluetooth dongle in the headset. When you are in the cameras view the tracking is great,,, but there's a lot of blind spots. Even with teh Rift-S having 5 cameras there will be some blindspots but a lot less than the WMR 2 camera system.

Dilip
Rising Star
  1. Why Didn't Oculus just add Virtual Link Controller board to Oculus Quest  it would have been all in one that RIFT S could never be.. is what i also think???lickcbz9i3j4.png