Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm definitely buying Quest, but Rift-S won't enter Casa Grayskull unless it supports external sensors. I'd rather wait for a proper CV2, or wait for a competitor to release a proper product.

inovator
Consultant
I'll buy both. for me the biggest plus is no outside sensor setup. Eeeeehaaaa!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

I'll buy both. for me the biggest plus is no outside sensor setup. Eeeeehaaaa!

Yeah, no outside sensors translates to increased tracking loss. YEEEHAAAWWW??

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

pyroth309 said:

kojack said:

Interesting tweets from Tom Forsyth (former Oculus developer):

I've not seen it reported anywhere, but I believe the Rift S has eye-relief adjustment. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. The closer you can get your eyeball to the lens, the wider your FOV and the better the image quality.
So while there's no hardware IPD, you can move the lenses closer or further from your eyes. If true, that's great.

I wonder if that's why we're hearing mixed reports of some people saying the FoV is smaller than CV1 and some saying it's slightly larger. Would make sense. 

I'm confused, so can someone explain to me how normal IPD works on the Rift CV1? Does the IPD slider move the screens or the lenses?

I thought the Rift S doesn't have IPD adjustment and therefore you can't move the lenses? And there's only one screen so nothing to move there?

Or am i miss understanding and the software adjustment they mentioned moves the lenses?

Or did he mean move the lenses closer to your eyes or away from your eyes instead of increasing the separation/spacing between each lens?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

inovator
Consultant
I understand what your saying. But  I hate the setup so much. Everytime set up small table shelves for sensors move around furniture. Then after midnight put it all away.Omg I'll be happy to sacrifice some tracking for something that for me will be good enough. I really mean it when I say with excitement eeeeehaaaaa!!!

Wildt
Consultant

I'm confused, so can someone explain to me how normal IPD works on the Rift CV1? Does the IPD slider move the screens or the lenses?

Both.
On the Lenovo it's handled digitally in the rendering.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

I'm definitely buying Quest, but Rift-S won't enter Casa Grayskull unless it supports external sensors. I'd rather wait for a proper CV2, or wait for a competitor to release a proper product.

Yeah.. somehow the Lenovo has made me realize how good the Quest is, and I think I'll buy one now. ::smile:

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Wildt said:

Both.
On the Lenovo it's handled digitally in the rendering.

Oh I see, that's cool I didn't know that.

Btw, I've never heard of Lenovo before, I didn't even know Oculus was making them a partner? It's going to be weird seeing their name on the side of the Rift S. Is Lenovo a good company?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Luciferous
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Damn I was waiting for you to buy it and review it ::smile:

Guess I'll have to rely on LZoltowski as being a moderator he has to buy it, it's the law.

PS @TheRealCyber any thoughts now you are a free man?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If the Rift-S becomes available to demo at the Microsoft store, or it stocks in-store at Best Buy, then I will give it a shot just for the sake of writing a review. But for now, I have no active plans to make it part of my Oculus collection.