New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,874 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:
    dburne said:
    vannagirl said:
    Ohh dear!!

i enjoy sitting in elite by a sun just listening to music, is about my skill level

blacks are kinda important really. I remember the grey Nvidia bug a while ago it looked terrible, that said the godrays can also be a mood killer, similar to Snowdogs laundry...

i still keep my interest but it is suddenly diving toward this HP hmd now, darn Oculus please just tie up the loose ends not spread them over hmds

Yep I am with you there, 95% sure at this point I will be placing an order for an HP Reverb next month.
    After all it is my birthday month woohoo!
    Well I say an early happy birthday and hope you do detailed reviews with it just to make us envious or also jump ship 

it looks on paper great, I have lower my standards a lot if it has blacks, enhanced visuals and lack of godaweful rays I’m in
    Lol will do, but don't believe it will be available to order till next month.

Thanks!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,301 Valuable Player
    I could swear I heard the Oculus guy saying this headset isn't aimed at current Rift owners. So why are people who have a Rift constantly moaning about how they don't want a Rift S?

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,633 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    I could swear I heard the Oculus guy saying this headset isn't aimed at current Rift owners. So why are people who have a Rift constantly moaning about how they don't want a Rift S?
    Because "the guy" also said that the Rift CV1 is being phased out. Why are you moaning about moaning?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,991 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

Maybe it's good trying to leave our comfort zone once in a while - but Bullock got it all wrong - the new Oculus/Lenovo fashion  can look nice - I guess - like this:

Hmm - and like this:

Axl is probably the winner - the most important thing for Rift-S users may indeed be sunglasses on top of the headband!!! How cool is that?  :D

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Is Oculus already starting to listen??

A new article suggests that Oculus is already openly considering an Audio accessory for the Rift-S,

While there’s a few key differences about the upcoming hardware specs-wise, it seems the company has also taken a page out of Go’s playbook by including an open-ear integrated audio solution in the headstrap of Rift S. To that end, Oculus says they might bring out a bespoke audio accessory in the future.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-over-ear-headphone-gdc-2019/

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
     The best headset now might be a Vive Pro with knuckles controllers. And if Valve announces Half-Life 3 VR then the enthusiasts will have to go with that.  
    I said this on another forum but it fits here too.
    I think HTC need to do the same with vive as oculus have with CV1....... who is gonna buy a standard vive for £500 with wands when they can get a rift S with touch for £400.

however a vive pro with BS 2.0 & knuckles for £600....... that would give me a major incentive to jump ship (maybe even £650 if they chucked in a monster game).

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited March 21
    however a vive pro with BS 2.0 & knuckles for £600....... that would give me a major incentive to jump ship

I love that no matter how many years go by with the Knuckles remaining unreleased... people still talk about them as if they are a real consumer option lol
    edited March 21
    Seriously, the headband looks really big - I'm already sweating like visiting the Sahara desert after 5 minutes in BoxVR using the Rift. Rift-S looks quite hot (no pun intended):

Image result for rift-S

Image result for rift-S

Seems like the Rift lets my skin breathe a lot more (no it's not me on the photo)...

Image result for oculus rift

S for Sweat?  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

Even Nate said that tracking gets occluded. I noticed that people on Facebook who claim to have watched these YouTube reaction videos also believe that tracking is being reported as perfectly flawless.

I think there's a society of people who watch videos like this,

Nate said he tried the full range of motion and had no problem. He said it snaps back seemlessly. Finally, he said he needs to test it in other games. They said there is a blind spot right in front of the headset but it's not really an issue. 

Do you want a transcript?

They did say the tracking was nearly flawless. And it's a fact that even with 3 sensors tracking is not flawless. There are blind spots, usually on the floor near the desk when your body is blocking your rear camera and the desk is blocking your front cameras. 

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    On a more serious note, how stable are these other HMDs on your head in games where you toss your head around? I'm thinking boxing games etc. I remember Linus posted a Vive Pro review, where he said it wasn't as stable as the regular Vive.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited March 21
    MowTin said:
    Nate said he tried the full range of motion and had no problem. He said it snaps back seemlessly. Finally, he said he needs to test it in other games. They said there is a blind spot right in front of the headset but it's not really an issue.

Do you want a transcript?

I think you're the one who needs a transcript. But I am not wasting time typing it up for you. Nate openly stated that tracking is lost behind-the-back and when the controllers are too close to the HMD. If you want to ignore it then fine, but plenty of people around the world saw it, heard it, and understood it.

MowTin said:

They did say the tracking was nearly flawless. And it's a fact that even with 3 sensors tracking is not flawless. There are blind spots, usually on the floor near the desk when your body is blocking your rear camera and the desk is blocking your front cameras. 

I have 3 sensors and they are flawless. So either you don't have 3 sensors, or you set yours up wrong.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:

I love that no matter how many years go by with the Knuckles remaining unreleased... people still talk about them as if they are a real consumer option lol
    true enough...... but one day it will exist............... and honestly, i do think that time is close now.

RE tracking... the message i took home from it was... the HMD tracking IS flawless - better than rift even for most people where chairs and what not can cause issues.................... but the touch tracking was some what of a compromise, with great tracking as well but with a couple of blind spots - hence why constellation sensors from CV1 may in the future be supported for the controllers if there was enough interest.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited March 21
    true enough...... but one day it will exist............... and honestly, i do think that time is close now.
    Yeah, I remember when people thought it was close a year ago. I'm sure it's finally true this year.
    ;)
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 321
    Trinity
    edited March 21
    This is instant buy for me. I have 4 sensor 5m by 5m roomscale setup, still it's not enough as I can't track my desk chair (for mouse and keyboard vr games) and the bar stools aren't tracked great either which I like sitting on when playing VR Chat. I always wish for better resolution as I have a RTX 2080 now.

Rift S has better resolution, hopefully supersampling will take advantage from that. It has tracking that works anywhere. I trust the 360° tracking will be good enough.

The downsides are no true blacks, however I don't think I have them with Rift either. I always have like this dusty filter over it. I hope the contrast is good, that is important. I don't mind losing IPD since mine's average but I love the lens to eye distance adjustment and hope I can get my eyes real close. I don't mind the 80hz thing, I don't think I will notice.

Rift S is just a refresh of Rift, like a facelift. If the setup you have works fine, there's no real need to upgrade. What is very important though is that Rift now becomes _a lot_ easier to recommend to people. The USB3 setup is always daunting with the extension cables, extra sensors, possible USB issues. It will be a lot easier to recommend now that you can tell people that you have to plug in 2 cables and it works. This way we can get as much people in PCVR as possible. It will be a lot better for laptop users too! You can ask, why not a competitor? Because Oculus has the greatest games and software.

I'm looking forward to receiving it. My hopes? An audio accesory and optional external USB3 sensor support to fully cover behind-back controller positions. 2 sensors would solve most of the tracking issues.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Techy111 said:
    I do see it as a shame. All us faithful CV1 users are now beginning to divide. I suppose it had to happen  but times are a changing. I won't buy any Lenovo oops sorry, Oculus products again until a true updated CV2 comes along. They got my money for the DK1 DK2 CV1 and the GO but that's about it. Onwards and upwards, I'll probably get the HP even if it lasts for 18 months until a new HMD from Oculus comes out then I'll reboard the train.
    What is the HP going to use for controllers. I cannot jump ship without the right paddles :)

The HP had the same FOV which put me off originally but now....
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Is Oculus already starting to listen??

A new article suggests that Oculus is already openly considering an Audio accessory for the Rift-S,

While there’s a few key differences about the upcoming hardware specs-wise, it seems the company has also taken a page out of Go’s playbook by including an open-ear integrated audio solution in the headstrap of Rift S. To that end, Oculus says they might bring out a bespoke audio accessory in the future.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-over-ear-headphone-gdc-2019/

We'll start hearing about Constellation compatibility soon too imo. Although I'm REALLY surprised that they haven't set this up already tbh, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work out that current Rift owners will want tracking on a par with the Rift.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:
    HP has the WMR Controllers.

Reverb? Rift-S? Sell the CV1? 80 Hz? New controllers? LCD? Digital IPD? What to use? Confused? Kylie is here to help! B)

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,838 Valuable Player
    Luciferous said:
    What is the HP going to use for controllers. I cannot jump ship without the right paddles :)

The HP had the same FOV which put me off originally but now....

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,121 Valuable Player
    I predict many of the gripers will report the rift s was better than they thought and make it a buy after a few on line reviewer give much more comprehensive reviews.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:

I think you're the one who needs a transcript. But I am not wasting time typing it up for you. Nate openly stated that tracking is lost behind-the-back and when the controllers are too close to the HMD. If you want to ignore it then fine, but plenty of people around the world saw it, heard it, and understood it.

This is exactly what Nate said:

"In terms of tracking, I was able to get a full range of movement. I did the thing where I put my hand back and moved it up and tried to throw a thing. If you turn your head once you hand is in your field of view it's going to snap the tracking. You never actually see it snapping. It's just there." 

They both clearly indicated that they didn't experience any issues with the tracking. They also said they need to test more games to be sure. 

And with 3 sensors tracking can't be flawless if you have objects in the room like a desk or a chair combined with your body. It's possible to block the cameras.  All I'm saying is that 3 sensors are not "flawless" otherwise why would some people buy 4 sensors? So, it's not a comparison between a flawless tracking and a flawed tracking. Both tracking solutions have flaws and pros and cons.  

For me, losing tracking when stuff in VR falls under my desk is a bigger deal than losing tracking behind my back.  

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited March 21
    MowTin said:
    Zenbane said:

"In terms of tracking, I was able to get a full range of movement. I did the thing where I put my hand back and moved it up and tried to throw a thing. If you turn your head once you hand is in your field of view it's going to snap the tracking. You never actually see it snapping. It's just there." 

They both clearly indicated that they didn't experience any issues with the tracking. They also said they need to test more games to be sure. 

And with 3 sensors tracking can't be flawless if you have objects in the room like a desk or a chair combined with your body. It's possible to block the cameras.  All I'm saying is that 3 sensors are not "flawless" otherwise why would some people buy 4 sensors? So, it's not a comparison between a flawless tracking and a flawed tracking. Both tracking solutions have flaws and pros and cons.  

For me, losing tracking when stuff in VR falls under my desk is a bigger deal than losing tracking behind my back.  

Of course it's not impossible to lose tracking even with 3 sensors depending on obstacles in the play space. Personally my room is bigger than this - but I also have 2 senors in front and the third covering my back from the ceiling angled down at me (like in the picture below) - I nearly never lose tracking (unless those damn batteries die on me ;)) - my back is more or less totally covered. 

edited March 21
    MowTin said:

Wow, so you really are committed to cherry-picking a video that has over 80,000 views? Hilarious.

This is exactly what Nate said,
    You're absolutely right that given that the sensors on the headset are tracking the controllers, there are going to be certain places where you're able to occlude the controller from the headset (Nate puts his hands behind his back). Or up close (Nate puts his hands on his forehead). That's exactly right. There are basically two areas that are problematic.

So what's your plan here, MowTin. Do you think that just because we aren't all in the same room looking at you while the video plays, that you're just gonna keep pretending that we can't see the same thing? lol
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    I can't help but feel a bit like this:

Wonder what a rift2 remake of this meme would look like with dk1-2 cv1 backers.
    Be good, die great !
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,594 Volunteer Moderator
    Two senors? Damn that's greedy  ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    Sensor tracking is perfect as long as you have them high up so that they're pointing down but not too high up so that the FOV of the sensors don't reach the floor. In the case of the Rift S and adding sensors goes we SHOULD, in theory, be fine with just one sensor behind us pointing down.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    I predict many of the gripers will report the rift s was better than they thought and make it a buy after a few on line reviewer give much more comprehensive reviews.

Thought also crossed my mind after seeing so many pitchfork events only to turn into a biggggg hug over said product
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.