Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Wildt
Consultant

Zenbane said:

however a vive pro with BS 2.0 & knuckles for £600....... that would give me a major incentive to jump ship

I love that no matter how many years go by with the
Knuckles remaining unreleased... people still talk about them as if they
are a real consumer option lol

They're still tweaking it so that you can easily hold a drink!

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Even Nate said that tracking gets occluded. I noticed that people on Facebook who claim to have watched these YouTube reaction videos also believe that tracking is being reported as perfectly flawless.

I think there's a society of people who watch videos like this,

Nate said he tried the full range of motion and had no problem. He said it snaps back seemlessly. Finally, he said he needs to test it in other games. They said there is a blind spot right in front of the headset but it's not really an issue. 

Do you want a transcript? https://youtu.be/2vtryRHVg_I?t=1104

They did say the tracking was nearly flawless. And it's a fact that even with 3 sensors tracking is not flawless. There are blind spots, usually on the floor near the desk when your body is blocking your rear camera and the desk is blocking your front cameras. 

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Wildt
Consultant
On a more serious note, how stable are these other HMDs on your head in games where you toss your head around? I'm thinking boxing games etc. I remember Linus posted a Vive Pro review, where he said it wasn't as stable as the regular Vive.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:
Nate said he tried the full range of motion and had no problem. He said
it snaps back seemlessly. Finally, he said he needs to test it in other
games. They said there is a blind spot right in front of the headset but
it's not really an issue.

Do you want a transcript?

I think you're the one who needs a transcript. But I am not wasting time typing it up for you. Nate openly stated that tracking is lost behind-the-back and when the controllers are too close to the HMD. If you want to ignore it then fine, but plenty of people around the world saw it, heard it, and understood it.

MowTin said:

They did say the tracking was nearly flawless. And it's a fact that even with 3 sensors tracking is not flawless. There are blind spots, usually on the floor near the desk when your body is blocking your rear camera and the desk is blocking your front cameras. 

I have 3 sensors and they are flawless. So either you don't have 3 sensors, or you set yours up wrong.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

I love that no matter how many years go by with the Knuckles remaining unreleased... people still talk about them as if they are a real consumer option lol

true enough...... but one day it will exist............... and honestly, i do think that time is close now.

RE tracking... the message i took home from it was... the HMD tracking IS flawless - better than rift even for most people where chairs and what not can cause issues.................... but the touch tracking was some what of a compromise, with great tracking as well but with a couple of blind spots - hence why constellation sensors from CV1 may in the future be supported for the controllers if there was enough interest.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

true enough...... but one day it will exist............... and honestly, i do think that time is close now.

Yeah, I remember when people thought it was close a year ago. I'm sure it's finally true this year.
😉

Thmoas
Rising Star
This is instant buy for me. I have 4 sensor 5m by 5m roomscale setup, still it's not enough as I can't track my desk chair (for mouse and keyboard vr games) and the bar stools aren't tracked great either which I like sitting on when playing VR Chat. I always wish for better resolution as I have a RTX 2080 now.

Rift S has better resolution, hopefully supersampling will take advantage from that. It has tracking that works anywhere. I trust the 360° tracking will be good enough.

The downsides are no true blacks, however I don't think I have them with Rift either. I always have like this dusty filter over it. I hope the contrast is good, that is important. I don't mind losing IPD since mine's average but I love the lens to eye distance adjustment and hope I can get my eyes real close. I don't mind the 80hz thing, I don't think I will notice.

Rift S is just a refresh of Rift, like a facelift. If the setup you have works fine, there's no real need to upgrade. What is very important though is that Rift now becomes _a lot_ easier to recommend to people. The USB3 setup is always daunting with the extension cables, extra sensors, possible USB issues. It will be a lot easier to recommend now that you can tell people that you have to plug in 2 cables and it works. This way we can get as much people in PCVR as possible. It will be a lot better for laptop users too! You can ask, why not a competitor? Because Oculus has the greatest games and software.

I'm looking forward to receiving it. My hopes? An audio accesory and optional external USB3 sensor support to fully cover behind-back controller positions. 2 sensors would solve most of the tracking issues.

Luciferous
Consultant

Techy111 said:

I do see it as a shame. All us faithful CV1 users are now beginning to divide. I suppose it had to happen  but times are a changing. I won't buy any Lenovo oops sorry, Oculus products again until a true updated CV2 comes along. They got my money for the DK1 DK2 CV1 and the GO but that's about it. Onwards and upwards, I'll probably get the HP even if it lasts for 18 months until a new HMD from Oculus comes out then I'll reboard the train.

What is the HP going to use for controllers. I cannot jump ship without the right paddles 🙂

The HP had the same FOV which put me off originally but now....

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
HP has the WMR Controllers.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Hahahahahhaha and he made me spit my cola out damn it lmao
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.