New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Do the current Oculus Rift Touch controller work with the new Oculus Rift S?

RahotepRahotep Posts: 54
Brain Burst
I would like to understand if the "old" Touch controller will work with the new Rift S headset.

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    They probably won't.  The new controllers have the ring above the hand on the Rift S so the cameras from the headset have a better view of the controllers.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    It's possible that they could work, if the IR light patterns are the same?   But yeah, occlusion would be a problem, since most of the time your own hands are going to be blocking the rings from the headset's view.

As someone with very large hands, I'm thinking the flipped ring might be more comfortable for me to hold.  (will be able to stretch out those individual digits more easily)

At the same time, I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable difference to the center of gravity?  Hopefully not, since the ring section itself doesn't really weigh much?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,203 Volunteer Moderator
    I don't know if it’s been stated officially, but I read that the new Touch controllers will work with Quest, S, and CV1, but the old controllers will not work with Quest or S. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:
    but I read that the new Touch controllers will work with... CV1
    Yeah Mike from VR Oasis said that on his latest video, but that's the only time I've heard it. If true, that's interesting, because it means there really is no technical barrier to using the Rift S and its controllers but also using the sensors for extra tracking coverage (not that I think it's needed in 99% of cases). Whether Oculus actually implement that functionality is another story.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,463 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Tested's Jeremy Williams said they (Rift-S controllers) can be paired with either the Quest or Rift-S so it seems so.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • rgrleergrlee Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I read the Rift-S controllers will work with the CV1, but not the other way around.
  • dinkster1975dinkster1975 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    better question might be,

anyone knows if it will be possible to use a rift s headset with original rift controllers, keeping the rift 1 sensors installed.

i could see this working in steam vr where you can tell steam vr to use multiple drivers (mixing wmr with steam wand controllers for example) but not sure it anything like that is available in rift core.

its a bit poor that they didn't think about this combo and maybe add constellation leds to the rift s so we could just replace the head set in existing setups and benefit from a higher resolution display without having to change our playspace, like what steam did with the vive to vive pro upgrade
  • dvnelson72dvnelson72 Posts: 6 Oculus Start Member
    FYI -- I tried to pair my Quest/RiftS controllers with my original Rift.  My dev laptop doesn't have a displayport and I don't use my desktop unless I have to.

The new controllers would not pair with the original Rift.
  • ShineyWolfboiShineyWolfboi Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Another reason not to get the Rift-S - I truly love Touch. The new Rift-S controllers don't seem to protect my fingers, when I hit a brick wall from time to time (and I do):

Image result for rift-s controller

Compared to my protective Touch semi-gloves :)

Image result for oculus touch
    Honestly your just clumsy so people can choose at their discretion 
  • natedizzynatedizzy Posts: 2
    NerveGear

anyone knows if it will be possible to use a rift s headset with original rift controllers, keeping the rift 1 sensors installed.

i could see this working in steam vr where you can tell steam vr to use multiple drivers (mixing wmr with steam wand controllers for example) but not sure it anything like that is available in rift core.

its a bit poor that they didn't think about this combo and maybe add constellation leds to the rift s so we could just replace the head set in existing setups and benefit from a higher resolution display without having to change our playspace, like what steam did with the vive to vive pro upgrade
    SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,996 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 12
    natedizzy said:

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS
    It's not possible.

The original Touch controllers communicate directly with the Rift CV1 headset. While the sensors track the position of the controllers, they still need a connection via the headset (to send inertial tracking data, button state, etc). The sensors don't do that.
    The Rift-S headset can't communicate with the CV1 controllers.

So... CV1 controllers only work with the CV1 headset. Rift-S/Quest controllers only work with the Rift-S and Quest.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,746 Valuable Player
    edited February 12
    Honestly, this question has been answered soooo many times.  It's hard to believe that some people still do not realise that the Rift S and Quest use inside-out tracking via their headset's cameras (4x on Quest, 5x on Rift S).  The older Rift cv1 uses external sensors, which are essentially cameras and it does not have any cameras on its headset.

So, pretty simple; Rift S and Quest controllers can be used with both Rift S and Quest headsets (2 at a time of course) and Rift cv1 headsets can only use Rift cv1 controllers.  Pretty darn simple and does not require much research imho. 

Sort of like asking if I have a car that runs on gasoline can I run it on diesel, and vice versa, lol! 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,135 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:

Sort of like asking if I have a car that runs on gasoline can I run it on diesel, and vice versa, lol! 
    Just being a pedant but some diesels can run on petrol (or cooking oil) ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • coluousecoluouse Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Excellent analogy, very interesting :)