Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Were all looking forward to Lone Echo 2, I mean, it must have been tested with Rift-s  how bad can the tracking be afterall ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G14B8nmqPRs

Be good, die great !

davejohnblack
Protege
Imagining rift users playing games with their hands tied behind their backs... ?

Maybe a football game or like the prodigy music video...

David

inovator
Consultant
Mardr  setup is not debatable. If you can permanently place sensors and have a dedicated room it's easy peasy 
If not its a pain in the ass. Kick and scream all you want  sensors are being phased out  eventually. And when cv2 comes out, I believe  tracking will be as good in my opinion. If they decide for now to continue sensors it will still eventually be gone. If oculus quest totally blows away and dwarfs the rift s and I mean an unexpected major monster blowing it away, you may not even see oculus coming out with cv2. Of course that's a huge if. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Nope. The bottom line is that everyone, including Tested and Nate, acknowledge that there are "two areas that are problematic" when it comes to tracking.

Yes, but they all felt that this was rather inconsequential. Their opinion of the tracking was very positive. 

Here are two more very respected VR YouTube commentators. They both say, "The tracking is flawless." 

Will you deny that these two in this video, are saying "The tracking is flawless"? 

https://youtu.be/HMWSaqoUips?t=408

I'm not saying the tracking is flawless. I'm saying the flaws are on par with the flaws of the current Rift with multi sensors DEPENDING on your room setup (furniture obstructing cameras). I don't think tracking is the big issue with the Rift-S.

Now the LCD vs OLED is a big issue. But again, that's a trade off. Better clarity overall vs better blacks. It's a subjective choice. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm still finding it mind boggling why they didn't just put Oculus Quest screens in Rift 2. I'm trying to find one good reason why they didn't do this and I can't think of one. I can find good reasons for them to have used Oculus Quest screens, which makes it all the more difficult to understand why they didn't. Had Rift -S used Oculus Quest screens then number 1) it would have made more CV1 users upgrade and 2) It would be a much better experience for those new to PC -VR.

The only one thing I can think of is that they intend dropping the Rift -S price in a matter of months to £299 to £350, because that's what Rift -S is worth when everything is taken into account. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

Mardr  setup is not debatable. If you can permanently place sensors and have a dedicated room it's easy peasy 
If not its a pain in the ass. Kick and scream all you want  sensors are being phased out  eventually. And when cv2 comes out, I believe  tracking will be as good in my opinion. If they decide for now to continue sensors it will still eventually be gone. If oculus quest totally blows away and dwarfs the rift s and I mean an unexpected major monster blowing it away, you may not even see oculus coming out with cv2. Of course that's a huge if. 

Very few people have a dedicated room. I have an office. The third sensor has a long USB traveling across the floor and up the wall. It's ugly. And all my USB ports are used up. And we haven't even touched on the problems of USB disconnect issues some people face. And then there is the portability issue. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Could be a supply issue, I've no idea what the implications are for producing those screens for the Quest and Rift-S... it could have been a toss-up deciding which device merited them more. Maybe the Quest was deemed to be more important as it's more of a make-or-break for stand-alone.

Also, I'm not going to judge until I try it what the implications are of less than staller blacks. We need to remember that with the current Rift, god rays don't disappear in bright or evenly lit scenes... they just appear all over so aren't notable as rays... they instead manifest as poor contrast. So some of the bad issues with LCD will be negated by the better lenses.

I'm not saying that OLED wouldn't have been better, I'm just not going to judge the overall quality until I see it.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Brixmis said:

I could swear I heard the Oculus guy saying this headset isn't aimed at current Rift owners. So why are people who have a Rift constantly moaning about how they don't want a Rift S?

Because "the guy" also said that the Rift CV1 is being phased out. Why are you moaning about moaning?

Well, seeing you're the champion of it, I guessed you would know 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I'm still finding it mind boggling why they didn't just put Oculus Quest screens in Rift 2. I'm trying to find one good reason why they didn't do this and I can't think of one. I can find good reasons for them to have used Oculus Quest screens, which makes it all the more difficult to understand why they didn't. Had Rift -S been given Oculus Quest screens then number 1) it would have made more CV1 users upgrade and number 2) It would be a much better experience for those new to PC -VR.

The only one thing I can think of is that they intend dropping the Rift -S price in a matter of months to £299, because that's what Rift -S is  worth when everything is taken into account. 

It has nothing to do with cost. The timeline for the latest Oculus headset development went in this order:

Quest -> Go -> Rift S

Carmack said that if the Quest was developed sooner they would have bunged BOE's LCDs in it, so if the Quest and Go switched places in that timeline they would ALL have LCDs in. Carmack is a fan of those fast-switch LCDs because there's lower persistence in them vs the OLEDs in the current Rift and Quest.

I don't think we'll see a price cut so soon because the Go, Quest and Rift S products have had Hartmann involved right from the start so he would have got costs down as far as they can go right now. Perhaps next year we'll see a price cut for the Rift S but not before imo.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect - I see what you are saying, but when you consider the much better hardware of Oculus Quest, then I'm not sure they can justify the price of Rift -S. The Rift -S should be a £299 headset when you considering the lack of Oled screens and other hardware that Oculus Quest has got.