New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would you recommend your Oculus Products to others?

2

Comments

  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,710 Volunteer Moderator
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Zenbane said

    It's just part of "the internet of things."
    The entry for the Reading Half this weekend needed more info than I've ever put into Facebook... Mobile phone number, next of kin/emergency contact number, any health issues, date of birth and your shirt size! (for a running T).
    If you do any run in France, you even need to have a medical certificate done.

    I don't get too paranoid about it and would recommend running.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • goproconstructiongoproconstruction Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    yes, sure
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    I haven't logged into my Facebook account for over a year. I guess I don't have a Facebook life.
    Bookface happens to others
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 523
    Neo
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Today I would not recommend buying the Rift as it's outdated. But I definitely recommend Oculus VR over HTC, Valve, or WMR, so if I'm asked, I would say: wait for the new Oculus products.
    There's a very good chance I recommend the Quest and the Rift S, and I will with no doubt recommend the Rift 2 if it ever comes out.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.


    My hopes for VR next gen:

    - Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.


    "If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,493 Valuable Player
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Facebook and Google amongst others probably know what you had for breakfast this morning. It's WAY too late to start worrying about who has your data.  :o:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    My friends and family always laugh at me because I talk about VR so much, but so far I have only got one more person to buy a Rift who was my cousin, but I'm still proud about that.

    Also I have one more cousin and my best friend who both want VR but can't afford it right now, I am going to lend them my Quest once I get it so hopefully that entices them to save their pennies. 

    I'm going to continue working hard to spread the word on VR and The Oasis that lies beneath the surface! :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Yep, we're pioneers my friends, one day peoples will think of us as we think of the peoples who used to type in a basic language game in their atari , commorore 64 or TRS 80.
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 
    32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory,
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2019
    Zenbane said:

    Richooal said:
    I do have a Facebook account but it is only so that I could access a relative's albums, and it contains minimal identifying info.
    I respect your decision to vote "no" based on Facebook's increased pressure for Oculus product owners to rely on the FB Social Media platform. That's an opinion that should most certainly be voiced.

    That being said, Facebook has large chunks of our data even outside of Facebook. Including our usage of this very forum. Facebook regularly buys consumer online web traffic data from multiple 3rd Parties. All of our Internet Activity is logged, sold, and analyzed to multiple organizations. Facebook is just one of many who purchases this data. So even if someone doesn't have a Facebook Account, they still have a profile of who you are and what you do online.

    It's just part of "the internet of things."
    ACK!!! Where's my tin-foil hat!! Save me @Zenbane!!

    Though, honestly, I do try to minimize my *big data social* footprint.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
    3Jane
     I would still recommend it (mainly because I haven’t tried the alternatives) but I would be less likely to recommend it than I used to be after the poor treatment of its founder as well as it’s current owners’ apparent tendency to try to virtue signal and suggest what types of games should be produced for it rather than encouraging excellence and just letting the market decide.  I see this is threatening to lower the quality of the gaming experience in the long run. 
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    Unsure. I would not give an opinion either "for" or "against" an Oculus HMD
    I've learned through my journey that the Rift is optimal only under ideal conditions and other than requires a lot of time, effort and additional investment in order to have an actual functional setup so I wold have to find out a lot of information on someones environment, pc specs and usage desires before I would be able to recommend the Rift.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    I'd recommend the Rift without hesitation, and if the next offering is as good as the rumours - then that too.  We have probably the best controllers of the bunch and, for first 'domestic' product an excellent device.
    Mine was a doddle to set up and apart from my first motherboard not liking the USB draw from all my devices (current one, no issues, ever!) has not presented many challenges to use.
    For me, at least, it was a purchase chosen against the competition and never regretted.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 284
    Nexus 6
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Richooal said:
    It bugs me that it takes so long for "Home" to load (on a machine with RECOMMENDED specs) even though I don't want the "Home".
    All I need is a VR interface (HMD and Touch Controllers) which allows me to access my Account, the Store, and my Library. It would be simple to click on a button or menu item to load "Home" if I needed it and all it's attached fluff.
    But you already have this interface! It is desktop software.
    If you click on "Start App" before you put HMD on you will never see Home software :lol:
    And you need to take off your HMD before you exit from app then press Alt+F4 to close it.
    That is all. Home will never starts :)
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    No, I would not recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Nekto2 said:
    Richooal said:
    It bugs me that it takes so long for "Home" to load (on a machine with RECOMMENDED specs) even though I don't want the "Home".
    All I need is a VR interface (HMD and Touch Controllers) which allows me to access my Account, the Store, and my Library. It would be simple to click on a button or menu item to load "Home" if I needed it and all it's attached fluff.
    But you already have this interface! It is desktop software.
    If you click on "Start App" before you put HMD on you will never see Home software :lol:
    And you need to take off your HMD before you exit from app then press Alt+F4 to close it.
    That is all. Home will never starts :)

    I'll just repeat this bit .....................
    "All I need is a VR interface (HMD and Touch Controllers) which allows me to access my Account, the Store, and my Library."
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Me, recommend my Oculus product after sneezing in it?




    Maybe...
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    I try to at every opportunity.

    Once I get my hands on a Rift-S, I'll definitely be "recommending" the two Rift units I already have in my possession, if you know what I mean.  (better to get more people into VR than to have these things just collect dust in my closet, eh?)

    Then again, with these being phased out of production soon and a number of people on the forums prematurely declaring the Rift-S a "downgrade",  maybe I should hold on to these things... I might be able to get a good price from some stubborn so-and-so who refuses to upgrade the next time their Rift needs replaced. :wink:

    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    ^^^ Well since they will no longer make the regular Rift if yours break, (they're already out of stock everywhere) unless you stock up on headset cables,controllers and sensors, there will be no way to get a part so you will have to get a Rift S, or dish out $1000 + to get the ones the cheap phone Co. makes, with whom btw you will always be on the edge asking yourself if they're going to go under... and good luck to get replacement parts.
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 
    32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory,
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    That's possibly true if your current Rift is out of warranty, but if you still have a live warranty and your headset packs up, then i'm fairly sure that the onus would be on the supplier to provide a replacement, an equivalent or, perhaps less likely, a refund.   

    As the Rift S is effectively being released as a straight replacement for the Rift, then that should mean a faulty Rift would be replaced with a Rift S, if no replacement Rifts are available.

    As far as i understand it, countries in the EU get a two-year warranty period whilst most of the rest of the world gets just 12 months. 

    What happens to existing warranties for UK-owned Rifts after Mar 29th is anyone's guess.  :)

  • Devlin-DarksideDevlin-Darkside Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    Unsure. I would not give an opinion either "for" or "against" an Oculus HMD
    Before Rift S yes.... now? Not so sure.
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    From what I heard and seen from the videos (at the time no rift S has hit the market) I'm saddened to see that they made the Rift S to follow the standard they have set for the regular Rift, It would've been nice if they made it (without getting rid of the regular Rift) for top of the line machines cause many of us built our computers specially for VR and surpassed their recommended standard or could be made even better (faster processors, better video cards, more or better RAM etc.  
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 
    32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory,
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 773
    3Jane
    edited March 2019
    Greyman said:
    That's possibly true if your current Rift is out of warranty, but if you still have a live warranty and your headset packs up, then i'm fairly sure that the onus would be on the supplier to provide a replacement, an equivalent or, perhaps less likely, a refund.   

    As the Rift S is effectively being released as a straight replacement for the Rift, then that should mean a faulty Rift would be replaced with a Rift S, if no replacement Rifts are available.

    As far as i understand it, countries in the EU get a two-year warranty period whilst most of the rest of the world gets just 12 months. 

    What happens to existing warranties for UK-owned Rifts after Mar 29th is anyone's guess.  :)

    That is a interesting point, what do they do with present CV1's in the UK/EU that are still under that 2 year warrenty if they are no longer producing the cv1 or parts for it...........i mean personally my warrenty is up at the end of this July so i doubt i will have to deal with that issue, but anyone who bought a CV1 this year in the UK/EU has a warrenty right up until 2021, so how hard will it be to get new CV1 parts for repairs if Oculus are not manufacturing them, and a straight swap might not be on the cards anyway because consumers of the original CV1 paid for outside in tracking with external sensors and built in earphones, so the S is not for like replacment.........a very interesting dilemma when and if it rears its head.

  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    I know of five systems that friends have bought because I introduced them to my 360 roomscale.
    WAAAGH!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,431 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    OmegaM4N said:
    Greyman said:
    That's possibly true if your current Rift is out of warranty, but if you still have a live warranty and your headset packs up, then i'm fairly sure that the onus would be on the supplier to provide a replacement, an equivalent or, perhaps less likely, a refund.   

    As the Rift S is effectively being released as a straight replacement for the Rift, then that should mean a faulty Rift would be replaced with a Rift S, if no replacement Rifts are available.

    As far as i understand it, countries in the EU get a two-year warranty period whilst most of the rest of the world gets just 12 months. 

    What happens to existing warranties for UK-owned Rifts after Mar 29th is anyone's guess.  :)

    That is a interesting point, what do they do with present CV1's in the UK/EU that are still under that 2 year warrenty if they are no longer producing the cv1 or parts for it...........i mean personally my warrenty is up at the end of this July so i doubt i will have to deal with that issue, but anyone who bought a CV1 this year in the UK/EU has a warrenty right up until 2021, so how hard will it be to get new CV1 parts for repairs if Oculus are not manufacturing them, and a straight swap might not be on the cards anyway because consumers of the original CV1 paid for outside in tracking with external sensors and built in earphones, so the S is not for like replacment.........a very interesting dilemma when and if it rears its head.

    I’m sure they’ve accounted for a stock of replacement parts and refurbished headsets to cover their warranty obligation.

    If those run out, they would have no legal problems providing a Rift S as an equivalent replacement for a CV1. Whether the customer agrees or not, Oculus can legitimately declare that the S is a fair swap—it performs the same function as a CV1, runs on the same PC hardware, and supports the same software. The differences are minor and subjective. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    kobs57 said:
    From what I heard and seen from the videos (at the time no rift S has hit the market) I'm saddened to see that they made the Rift S to follow the standard they have set for the regular Rift, It would've been nice if they made it (without getting rid of the regular Rift) for top of the line machines cause many of us built our computers specially for VR and surpassed their recommended standard or could be made even better (faster processors, better video cards, more or better RAM etc.  
    The Rift CV1 had issues
    1. High failure rate of right headphone (due to failing ribbon cable)
    2. Not eye glasses friendly
    3. Not friendly with laptops (incompatible with nvidia Optimus, Rift requires a direct HDMI to GPU connection)
    4. USB Bandwidth issues with 3 or more sensors
    5. Messing and difficult room-scale setup
    6. Comfort complaints

    While we might not like this current Rift-S, it was also incompetent of Oculus to keep manufacturing the Rift CV1 without ANY revisions for those 3 years (this Rift-S should have been done last year). To continue offering the flawed CV1 while releasing another Rift would have been malicious conduct from my perspective (Oculus is aware of the flaws of CV1)

    I wish it was an upgrade for all of us, but I understand why they at the minimum did a refresh of the existing Rift.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    You have a few points for me anyways cause I had to "remove" the Oculus headphones and use my own, I wear glasses but I can do without, I also had to buy a quad bus USB card, Aaaand bought a face replacement thingy from VR cover cause the effin foam couldn't be cleaned properly and I'm a little bacteria paranoid lol
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 
    32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory,
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,204 Valuable Player
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD

    2. Not eye glasses friendly
    I am going to have to disagree with you there.  I wear glasses in the Rift with no problem whatsoever.  So do many of my customers and friends.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Mradr said:
    A bit open ended huh? LOL

    I guess to expand this more - I would NOT recommend the CV1 atm until after the Quest release to new users or users that dont have a PC atm to rush out to get one for the CV1.

    I would recommend a Oculus product if:
    1) Its your first VR product
    2) You want to save money compare to what is out there
    3) Want a simple setup and play experience

    I would not recommend Oculus if:
    1) You are looking for edge case better experience in a area (either it be FOV, resolution, or super high end. There are better HMD out there in terms of one area or another)
    2) Dont mind paying higher prices for edge case use
    3) if your name was Atmos
    To  update mine:
    1) I would still recommend the Oculus products even with the Rift S going in some weird direction still. Looking at what is coming out from GDC - it still looks like Oculus is going to be a step up from what is out there for anyone looking into getting into VR.
    2) Looks like Oculus will have many options covered for anyone looking into a target experience. From just media to light gaming to full easy to setup pc games.
    3) Quest looks like it'll be a leap over WMR even though it still has some of the same limitations as current WMR headsets and their tracking, but yet in a mobile format.
    4) Rift S looks to be a good product for anyone new looking into getting into PCVR. It does come with better lenses, easy to setup automatic 360 headset room tracking, supports 180 controller tracking, and a RGB vs Pentile.I hear it does feel better on the head, but no one has had it a long enough time to really make sure this is going to be a thing for longer time use and what happens when you start getting into the real action yet.

    1) If you got a CV 1 one is the last 6 months - it doesn't look like the Rift S is an update I would rush out to get.
    2) Lack of communication from Oculus might scare some people into what the CV2 might come out to be after seeing what the Rift S did.
    3) Another delay in CV2 - I think they might lose some more people as they look at other headsets out there and with no information on when a CV2 might come out (other than rumors) - some might take the risk and try another product.

    More or less, yes, but if they keep going down the path of the Rift S - that might change in the future.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    Digikid1 said:

    2. Not eye glasses friendly
    I am going to have to disagree with you there.  I wear glasses in the Rift with no problem whatsoever.  So do many of my customers and friends.
    I do too; it's doable but a more difficult process.
    I usually wear contacts, but I also have small framed glasses. But many with thicker frames complain of the Oculus subreddit their glasses won't fit (thus, they choose to buy prescription lens inserts).

    But comparing the Rift to Oculus GO?  I find the GO way more glasses friendly.  With Rift, I had to put the glasses in the headset first then put the headset on (which means my glasses were touching my Oculus lenses).
    With GO you just put the headset on like you would even without glasses.

    From the on hands vids of the Rift-S, Oculus went several steps further and made wearing eye glasses a seamless process with the Rift-S

    1. it's foam interface has much more available room for eye glasses, like the Oculus GO. Just put the headset on
    2. there's an Eye Relief setting [you can move the screen closer or further away from your eyes]).

    It's one of the reasons I plan on upgrading to the Rift-S. Even the reviewer Mixed Reality TV purposely wore his eye glasses to see how the new Rift would accommodate them (as it was a common complaint).
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,493 Valuable Player
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    I think we'll have some feedback from Abrash at OC6 about when we can expect the CV2 but I'm pretty sure it'll be 2022. After the Rift S tick we can expect the CV2 to be a tock I think with many of the features that the Half Dome prototype has. I still think that 2022 is going to be too early to have the varifocal feature though, we'll see that added with the tick in 2025.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
    snowdog said:
    I think we'll have some feedback from Abrash at OC6 about when we can expect the CV2 but I'm pretty sure it'll be 2022. After the Rift S tick we can expect the CV2 to be a tock I think with many of the features that the Half Dome prototype has. I still think that 2022 is going to be too early to have the varifocal feature though, we'll see that added with the tick in 2025.
    Instead of Tick-Tock, perhaps an Oculus-ized take on a popular saying might work:  "Rift-Raft" :D (ie: like Riff-Raff)

    Rift-S is our "Raft"
    CV2/Rift-Pro will be our next "Rift"
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
This discussion has been closed.