Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

ah yeah, price is a another matter and I'd loved to have seen maybe $50 less on the Rift-S tag.

I think it'll still be a price that'll attract who it needs to attract though... and no doubt will drop by $50 by Christmas (or maybe even before).

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Here's another VR YouTube guy who is praising the tracking...

"I tried the tracking. I really tried to hold my hands like here and on my head. It was...it was prefect."

https://youtu.be/LpDnu1wuNDo?t=107

Like everyone else he does complain about the black levels due to the LCD screens. I guess I'll have to buy it and try it to know if the loss of black is worth it. I do know the brain interprets black at times so maybe it's not a big deal. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

ShocksVR
Superstar
IMO, Oculus is probably making some money on the new Rift-S.  Whereas the old CV1, they we're probably charging at cost or losing money (since it had more components).

It's also a bit unfair to compare it to Quest.  I know many think the Rift-S should be cheaper than the Quest, but for all we know it probably is.  But it's Facebook/Oculus taking a loss on the hardware.  Seriously, at OC5 when they announced Quest at $399 ppl at OC5, reddit, tech blogs were pretty shocked. 

So why can Oculus subsidize Quest but not Rift-S?  Because of the store.
  • - Quest is a console.  All games/apps will be purchased via Oculus.
  • - Rift-S is a PC headset.  Games/apps are purchased from Oculus and STEAM.

I actually thought the low cost of the Rift Cv1 would eventually come to an end; despite the fantasy predictions made on reddit. As long as Rift owners buy their games on STEAM, then it makes ZERO sense for Oculus to subsidize the cost.
Thus, I always was of the mindset if Oculus can keep future reiterations around $400, then it should be a good product for PC VR users (looks like Nate agrees). However, I don't discount the inclusion of a Rift Pro for those willing to pay more. But the base Rift should be in "that ballpark figure of around $350".

-----
Regarding screens, I know ppl like to crap on it, but trust me the LCD screen isn't all the bad.  I have a GO, and the combo of the RGB screen and new lenses is pretty good (and probably cost efficient). Seriously, the 1440p RGB probably is comparable to a 1600p Pentile.  For example: the Rift is 1200p Pentile, in comparison the PSVR is 1000p RGB. Yet, I can say the PSVR actually looks pretty good compared to the Rift CV1. 
There's a reason Ben Lang from RoadToVR said the display on the Rift-S has one of the better clarity on the market. He put it in a nothc below VivePro. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3ebw4/hey_roculus_ive_used_every_recently_launched_or/eiz1...

Let's
talk about "clarity" (which I use as an overarching term for how
'clear/immersive' the view through the headset looks, and factors in
display characteristics and lenses). I'm going to exclude Varjo and
Pimax because those are more niche headsets and harder to make a direct
comparison for a simple list.

More Clarity

• Reverb

• Vive Pro

• Rift S

• Quest

• Go

• Rift

Less Clarity

Initially, I wasn't going to upgrade to a Rift-S, but the more I read and the more I go back to my GO, the more I want those optics in my Rift.  And with the easier setup, friendliness for EYE GLASSES, removal of the USB bandwidth issues, and the inclusion of the new Passthrough feature, I'm gonna buy it.  I think my 3 sensor Rift can probably fetch at least $150 for a quick sale, which brings the cost of the Rift-S down to $250 for me.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

Like everyone else he does complain about the black levels due to the LCD screens. I guess I'll have to buy it and try it to know if the loss of black is worth it. I do know the brain interprets black at times so maybe it's not a big deal. 

I guess there's a lot of truth to the saying "once you go black you'll never go back"  o:)  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or once you go Harv you're never as suave 😄

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

however a vive pro with BS 2.0 & knuckles for £600....... that would give me a major incentive to jump ship

I love that no matter how many years go by with the Knuckles remaining unreleased... people still talk about them as if they are a real consumer option lol

I was literally going to say the same thing. Until the Knuckles are in the store, they're as real as Halflife 3 to me. 

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

All this will be moot soon anyway, Oculus are bound to add sensor support sooner rather than later. Probably before the thing launches imo.

I think they probably will try not to because they probably don't want to keep producing the sensors. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
It will be interesting to see if the Rift-S can use the free Oculus app Sensor Bounds in order to display the actual tracking volume, and maybe help to show what inside-out tracking with the Rift-S actually is.  Just a thought.  I use this app to help optimise my cv1 2x sensors placement and it works great.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/65319/sensor-bounds-free-rift-app-that-shows-you-yo...
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:
Yes, but they all felt that this was rather inconsequential. Their opinion of the tracking was very positive.

That is not true; that is how you are trying to spin it.

MowTin said:

Will you deny that these two in this video, are saying "The tracking is flawless"? 

https://youtu.be/HMWSaqoUips?t=408

I've already seen that video, and again... that's a video where people use it to talk about how it is "not flawless." I am not going to transcribe yet another video for you! lol

The two videos you have posted clearly talk about the problems with tracking. You just intentionally choose to ignore them.

I'm not saying the tracking is flawless.

wtf, you are literally quoting the phrase, "the tracking is flawless." 

😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Brixmis said:

Zenbane said:

Brixmis said:

I could swear I heard the Oculus guy saying this headset isn't aimed at current Rift owners. So why are people who have a Rift constantly moaning about how they don't want a Rift S?

Because "the guy" also said that the Rift CV1 is being phased out. Why are you moaning about moaning?

Well, seeing you're the champion of it, I guessed you would know 😉

Everyone in this thread is talking about it because everyone heard the same thing. It's not about championing a product, it's about understanding and comprehension. I champion understanding and comprehension for sure. You should try it some time
😉