cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

ShineHunter
Protege
I would be very comforting if Oculus came forward to say there is going to be Rift 2 for the hardcore VR peeps so I can feel reassured. Getting a Rift S and it being some what meh, but not saying anything for those who are hoping for the the bee's knees next gen VR headset is very disappointing. They haven't said what the Rift S is and if there is even going to be a next gen Rift 2. Till I've heard from them there will be a next gen Rift 2 then I'm going to remain angry.  

KoBak07
Protege
I am kind of lost with this release, as for me product offers more drawbacks than benefits over my current RIFT. Very small resolution bump vs loss of blacks (OLED), and worse tracking. To me this release is nothing but all the other el cheapo WMR headsets that are on the market. They should have never called this a RIFT in 2019+

At least if they offered any insights or commitments about a real next gen upgrade to the Rift, I would feel somewhat re-assured that any continued investment into Rift content is OK to make. But with Iribe also leaving last year, all points to me that Oculus future is catering to the low end

DWinner9971
Protege

I didn't miss any points, I was making a comment on the overall malcontent that seems to me to be misplaced.

As I've said in another thread, gen 2 hasn't been cancelled. Rift S is just another headset that VR needs in order to attract more people. Just producing enthusiast headsets isn't sustainable for the PCVR industry.

The current fanbase wants more titles and not just from indies... they (we) need them from the major devs. We want Codemasters to include VR for all their race sims, not just 1. We need Bethesda to include VR from the start in their big-budge games, not just conversions for a couple existing games.

When I make my comments I'm talking about the benefits that Rift-S will have for enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike. As for releasing an enthusiast headset at the same time... I couldn't really care less about such timings. Like I said gen 2 hasn't been cancelled. It'll arrive when it's ready. And when we're able to drive such a headset.

Perhaps you can shed some light on how an enthusiast headset could be driven if it was release now? what GPU? what res headset, what refresh rate? what FOV?

In a year to 18 months, when nvidia have produced something with a bigger bang-for-your-buck than the 2080ti (ie 2100 series) then I'll be shouting for gen 2 headsets.

I'd like to address a few things you mentioned from my perspective.
I consider myself an enthusiast. I've followed the VR industry closely since Oculus was a kickstarter and pre-ordered the Rift ASAP once their site allowed me to finally order (it was buggy as heck that day).

While I love and appreciate that Rift 2 is not fully cancelled, Oculus really should have at least announced some information about it - they could have even geared it toward to enthusiast crowd in an effort to not take anything away from their other announcement. Hopefully we will get this from them soon.

Yes, I too want more quality games and applications for PCVR, but I would have also greatly preferred to have seen a real replacement for the Rift that still had two screens with a real IPD adjustment, actual headphones like the original, along with something that might make it worth it for existing owners and newcomers alike - such as higher resolution OLED panels, inside-out tracking with the announced option for external sensors for greater behind-the-back tracking, and/or larger FOV.

As for what could drive a headset with higher resolution and/or wider FOV, I've been using either 1.75x or 2x supersampling since nearly the beginning with a GTX 1080. While that was the flagship GPU at the time, there are now multiple options for less money than I paid in 2016. Your point about waiting for Nvidia to produce something with a bigger bang for the buck is honestly laughable - even to an Nvidia fan like me. They have proven that they have 0 interest in doing such a thing when they can keep on price gouging for incremental perf improvements and additional features we don't want or need yet - like RTX.

Honestly not trying to be argumentative, but the several deviations they made from the original Rift are what have me and so, so many others completely baffled and disappointed.
As I and so many others have said....If they can release the Quest (physical IPD, two OLED panels with higher res, real headphones, and and SOC with onboard storage and Wi-Fi, etc) for $400, then why did they need to cut anything other than the SOC for the Rift S? Surely, the SOC costs them more than the additional camera/sensor. I know the drop to a single lower res panel without IPD adjustment was not necessary by simply looking at the Quest. 

Cyion
Protege

I didn't miss any points, I was making a comment on the overall malcontent that seems to me to be misplaced.

As I've said in another thread, gen 2 hasn't been cancelled. Rift S is just another headset that VR needs in order to attract more people. Just producing enthusiast headsets isn't sustainable for the PCVR industry.

The current fanbase wants more titles and not just from indies... they (we) need them from the major devs. We want Codemasters to include VR for all their race sims, not just 1. We need Bethesda to include VR from the start in their big-budge games, not just conversions for a couple existing games.

When I make my comments I'm talking about the benefits that Rift-S will have for enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike. As for releasing an enthusiast headset at the same time... I couldn't really care less about such timings. Like I said gen 2 hasn't been cancelled. It'll arrive when it's ready. And when we're able to drive such a headset.

Perhaps you can shed some light on how an enthusiast headset could be driven if it was release now? what GPU? what res headset, what refresh rate? what FOV?

In a year to 18 months, when nvidia have produced something with a bigger bang-for-your-buck than the 2080ti (ie 2100 series) then I'll be shouting for gen 2 headsets.

Oculus could have released an enthusiast headset in addition to the rift S that meets the standards of the htc vive pro or the pimax 5k+, if you have a high end PC like I do, my computer could easily handle those kind of specs.  The language out of Oculus has me deeply concerned, from my perspective, there is a change of culture to cader to the mainstream and grow VR at the cost of neglecting what the enthusiast wants.  If their ideology is to release headsets that have low spec requirements to run on a huge number of computers, they won't ever be releasing anything that will blow the other brands of headsets out of the water as far as innovation goes because they want to sell the headset to as many people as possible.  Oculus won't be releasing anything that is cutting edge because not many computers could handle it and profits are not there to sell to enthusiasts.

CrashFu
Consultant
Seriously, anyone else suspicious of all these < 10 post people with keyboard-smash looking names suddenly coming out of the woodwork to make near-identical disappointment posts?

Methinks a lot of this is manufactured outrage, especially considering how baseless most of these complaints are. 
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

pyroth309
Visionary

CrashFu said:

Seriously, anyone else suspicious of all these < 10 post people with keyboard-smash looking names suddenly coming out of the woodwork to make near-identical disappointment posts?

Methinks a lot of this is manufactured outrage, especially considering how baseless most of these complaints are. 

Nope, it's normal. Most people only comment when something they dont' like compels them to which is why forums/reddit always skew negative. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be very comforting if Oculus came forward to say there is going to be Rift 2 for the hardcore VR peeps so I can feel reassured. Getting a Rift S and it being some what meh, but not saying anything for those who are hoping for the the bee's knees next gen VR headset is very disappointing. They haven't said what the Rift S is and if there is even going to be a next gen Rift 2. Till I've heard from them there will be a next gen Rift 2 then I'm going to remain angry.  

And we won't hear anything, at least for a long while if ever.
As far as I am concerned a true Gen 2 Rift is shelved, until I hear any news to the contrary.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
When news like this arrives, it's always the same. A flood of new posters, and then the "Legacy Trolls" log back in.

For anyone using Vive Pro as an example of what Oculus could do as a drivable enthusiast headset now, I'd say that isn't gen 2, any more than Rift-S is gen 2.

Has an FOV increase suddenly been abandoned for your next enthusiast headset? It hasn't for me. I did ask what res, what FOV... what spec are you really looking for for gen 2? What PPD increase?

To help out I'll say what I'm expecting... 130 minimum FOV, 50% minimum increase in PPD, possibly fovated rendering to help with the load. Less than that and it isn't gen 2.

These kind of resolutions are getting towards Pimax 5k+ and above. Take a look at their forum to discover how well it's being driven with the latest and greatest GPU.

If you're saying gen 2 doesn't have to be that much of a step, I'd say you're backing out of your own argument.

KoBak07
Protege

CrashFu said:

I am sure @CrashFu that there was a time when you made your first post on this forum too  :):smile: I would bet there are a quite a few people like myself, who had the RIFT for a while (I bought mine in 2016), but have not been too active on forums, just lurking.

Maybe, if many of us had been more active, FB would still be trying to build hardware that is for the early adopters, and not seemingly abandon that market.