Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

Some of you are humerus. I won't name name but some of the gripers biggest gripes was how horrible the god rays are in the rift way before now. Some of those people  are saying they will wait. Well either your hypocrites or the god rays weren't bothering you as much as you said.

I am one of those people who said I would like to see Godrays gone, but I am not a hypocrite. A hypocrite is someone who acts one way but who really believes something else. Someone who admits they are having second thoughts about something is just being honest, so can't be classed as a hypocrite for giving an honest opinion.

When I compare the Oculus Rift -S and Oculus Quest, for me it caused me to have a bigger gripe then Godrays. I see one VR headset with good hardware and another headset with not such good hardware going for the same price. Had Rift -S been cheaper then I might have thought differently. 

I will probably pick up the Oculus Quest, but I haven't decided yet because I'm a PC gamer.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Time to move on. Nothing to prove. The people I'm referring to know who they are. We have all been hypocritical in our lives. Nobody in what I mentioned are evil. I will not name names to prove something that is no big deal. 

Right so if there's nothing to prove then there's also no reason to call people hypocrites. Blanket name-calling makes situations worse, not better. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if people started pulling your quotes together to call you "ignorant."

inovator
Consultant
Being hypocritical isn't ignorant. It's interesting your taking this so personal.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Being hypocritical isn't ignorant. It's interesting your taking this so personal.

I never said that being hypocritical is the same as being ignorant. But I do think that it is ignorant to think that someone who wants reduced God Rays is a hypocrite because when the God Rays were reduced the Tracking was also reduced. That's not how hypocrisy works, and it is ignorant to think otherwise.

inovator
Consultant
I'm  not saying anyone who wants god rays gone are hypocritical. Those that say the rift  is OK but it's not enough of an upgrade but won't upgrade when they hate god rays, are whom I'm talking about. If you hate god rays it should be reason enough if you are OK with the rift s in general.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

I'm  not saying anyone who wants god rays gone are hypocritical. Those that say the rift  is OK but it's not enough of an upgrade but won't upgrade when they hate god rays, are whom I'm talking about. If you hate god rays it should be reason enough if you are OK with the rift s in general.

I never hated the God Rays, and Oculus did end up reducing them over a year ago with a Software Upgrade. I would love to see God Rays reduced further, but not at the cost of losing my perfect 360 hand-tracking.

You are still 100% wrong to suggest that people who hated God Rays are now hypocrites because they won't settle for the loss of integrated hardware audio and reduced hand-tracking accuracy. For you to call people hypocrites in this situation makes you seem ignorant.

The fact that you continue trying to stand your ground doesn't help your situation. Anyone who understands the concept of "hypocrisy" knows that it is completely inapplicable in this situation. So either you don't understand the difference between the Rift-S and Rift CV1, or you don't understand what "hypocrisy" means.

Either way, this discussion should involve addressing the issues and not trying to insult people. You are the one who turned this discussion in to name-calling. And you couldn't even back it up.

inovator
Consultant
I never said you hated god rays. (Interesting)Relax pour yourself a nightcap and it will be better in the morning. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

I never said you hated god rays. (Interesting)Relax pour yourself a nightcap and it will be better in the morning. 

I was just clarifying my personal stance on God Rays as an example. I'm also pointing out that those who hate God Rays clearly didn't want to have other features downgraded. But that's the part you seem to be struggling with.

And believe me, I am calm. I'm just challenging your decision to start name-calling. Don't get scared!
😄

inovator
Consultant
We can agree to disagree. Have a good night. You wore me out.

inovator
Consultant
From someone that tried both.
But switching back and forth between Quest and Rift S, one thing became clear: The difference between mobile and PC felt like it was fading away. Rather than push further into higher-end VR, Oculus is converging the Rift S and Quest, and soon enough, there might not be any rift at all.