Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

From someone that tried both.
But switching back and forth between Quest and Rift S, one thing became clear: The difference between mobile and PC felt like it was fading away. Rather than push further into higher-end VR, Oculus is converging the Rift S and Quest, and soon enough, there might not be any rift at all.

Well even if the Rift remains for another 5 years, I'm sure you'll still be around to make fake predictions and call people hypocrites as your only means to understand complicated situations.
😉

inovator
Consultant
Wow your like a pit bull. This was not me saying this it was someone who expressed his opinion after trying both. Give me a few minutes and I'll get the link.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Wow your like a pit bull.

Yeah, but less this:

And more this:

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Not sure what conversation you think we were having, but that article doesn't demonstrate anything to prove your case about Hypocrites.

inovator
Consultant
I'm not a pit bull I changed the subject.

ShocksVR
Superstar
Rift CV1 in the US is now Unavailable - https://www.oculus.com/rift

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

That article suggest that the Rift -S and Oculus Quest will be £300? I'm not sure that is correct but if it is I would definatly reconsider. This is what part of the article says: "Both models will cost $399, which converts to about £300". I was thinking it would be more like £399.

I'll wait for more reviews before I decide which headset I'm getting. I need an upgrade before Rift 2 arrives even if that means jumping ship to HP Reverb.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:
I've already seen that video, and again... that's a video where people use it to talk about how it is "not flawless." I am not going to transcribe yet another video for you! lol

You don't have to transcribe anything people can watch the video for themselves. The two guys in that video literally said it was "flawless." They praised the tracking. People have seen plenty of first impressions regarding the Rift S. They can judge for themselves how most reviewers felt about the tracking regardless of what you or I say. 

I'm going to wait for Valve to announce Half Life VR and knuckles controllers. Oculus has no high end PC VR offering at the moment. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:
You don't have to transcribe anything people can watch the video for themselves. The two guys in that video literally said it was "flawless."

Ah, you are still going with that story? Okay, repetition ensues!

It is only flawless within the tracking area. But this is the whole story which you continue to intentionally ignore:
You're absolutely right that given that the sensors on the headset
are tracking the controllers, there are going to be certain places where
you're able to occlude the controller from the headset (Nate puts his
hands behind his back). Or up close (Nate puts his hands on his
forehead). That's exactly right. There are basically two areas that are
problematic.