cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift owners upgrade to Rift_S or HP Reverb

Dilip
Rising Star
Have seen wonderful announcements but made me wonder due to not so big difference in pricing and great difference in resolution 
my wonder is those who already own RIFT and wish to upgrade will they upgrade to RIFT S .. (will it really be an upgrade?) or they 
switch to HP REVERB which is very strong opponent  IMO due to visual fidelity and nice ergonomics... VR WARS are upon us.  
441 REPLIES 441

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

Well I read an article that said $399 amounts to £300 here in the United Kingdom. If it's £300 I'll pick Rift-S up. but if it's £399 I won't. 

Yea I mean, if you really need/want a new headset it's fine. My thing is, if I get the Quest which I'm planning on at this point, do I really need almost the same thing with a Rift-S? I had hoped the Rift-S would be a significant upgrade over the CV1 so I'd want to get both. Sure Quest won't have PCVR visuals but I already have an Odyssey+ which is superior to both anyway. If anything, I'd want to replace the Odyssey with something more powerful like the HP. Not sure I can settle for the blacks on the HP though..same problem I have with the Rift-S. I love space games. 

I'm also in the position that my CV1 sensors don't really bother me, I wish I could eliminate them but Im fine leaving them out too. So I will just continue to use it in the few games that WMR tracking or performance isn't good enough and continue using O+ until one of these companies releases a complete headset upgrade. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@pyroth309 - I know it's really frustrating and has left me not knowing what to do to do tbh. A Rift -S with Quest screens would have being a dream come for the majority of people and not caused such a divide. That's why I can't get my head around Oculus doing this.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

@pyroth309 - I know it's really frustrating and has left me not knowing what to do to do tbh. A Rift -S with Quest screens would have being a dream come for the majority of people and not caused such a divide. That's why I can't get my head around Oculus doing this.

Yea that's what I wanted. The loss of the audio really hits the hardest for me as I always thought Rift CV1 was best in class in this department. So far reviews aren't that great about the tube audio deal. Seems even Oculus is now considering an Over-Ear accessory.

When I go from my O+ back to the CV1 I'm like holy cow the O+'s sound sucks! It's really night and day especially in Beat saber. People will point to the 3.5mm jack and that I can just bring my own but that's one of the things I hate the most about PSVR is having it be a 2 step process with putting on the headset and earbuds which I don't like anyway. Always been an over ear headphone user. There's a lot of benefit and convenience to having the CV1 act like a ballcap where I slip it on and I'm playing and take it off as needed. Simple and painless. That alone wouldn't be a dealbreaker but every little thing adds up. I'll stop there as I don't want to go into everything that bothers me about Rift-S when it's clear I'm not the intended audience. 

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer

RedRizla said:

Well I read an article that said $399 amounts to £300 here in the United Kingdom. If it's £300 I'll pick Rift-S up. but if it's £399 I won't. 

You can bet it will be £399, this always happens to us in the UK

kojack
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

People will point to the 3.5mm jack and that I can just bring my own

When I use headphones at home, I use large circumaural ones (go around your ear, not on). Those won't work well with Rift-S, the headband is so thick that it will lift the top of the headphones away from my head, so they sit on an angle.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

pyroth309 said:

People will point to the 3.5mm jack and that I can just bring my own

When I use headphones at home, I use large circumaural ones (go around your ear, not on). Those won't work well with Rift-S, the headband is so thick that it will lift the top of the headphones away from my head, so they sit on an angle.

My problem is my headphones require an AMP - so unless they provide one - it's not going to work for me either. It's a nice option to have - but like I said too - removing one of them little things is a step backwards when the idea is just simple get into VR and out. Having to deal with extra stuff (no matter how much more time it takes) is just one more one thing that a user has to deal with each time.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Good upgrade here, great for all "animals"

xu4l0ksjbvw6.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

pyroth309
Visionary

Interesting takeaways from the Reverb. 115 degrees FoV, less blur from edge to edge...yeaaa I think I finally have my simming headset.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@pyroth309 - What Graphics card do you have? I have a Geforce 1080 and I'm not sure if that's going to be good enough for DCS World or X Plane 11 with this headset.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

@pyroth309 - What Graphics card do you have? I have a Geforce 1080 and I'm not sure if that's going to be good enough for DCS World or X Plane 11 with this headset.

1080 for now. The recommended specs of this device is a 1080, odds are it will be less than ideal for DCS or Xplane. I'm hoping it works fine for IL-2, Aces High (should), and Dirt Rally and other games. Doubt Project cars 2 is doable. We will have to see. I have money set aside for as soon as Nvidia decides to release an Ampere card but sadly they're too busy selling old inventory for the foreseeable future.