Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Wildt
Consultant
Yeah, the HP looks A LOT like a CV1 :smile:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Yeah, the HP looks A LOT like a CV1 :smile:

And the Rift-S looks A LOT like the "old" HP.

Wildt
Consultant
It's all just a postal delivery mishap!

Lujho
Expert Protege

Wildt said:

This new Lenovo is in my book an arguably fancy WMR device. You can get WMR devices for  $199 - and they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. What makes FB think THIS device is gonna make anyone on the fence about PCVR put down twice as much now?

I've never used a WMR so I don't know how good/bad the 2-camera optical tracking is. But everyone who's used it says Insight is great. Constellation was always a janky jury-rigged solution that needed you to spend an extra $70 (I think?) on an extra sensor to get the best 360/room scale. Insight was built from the ground up to be the best inside-out tracking system yet seen. Aside from people putting what I feel is WAY too much emphasis on how well Insight works when controllers are out of the cameras' field of view, it seems like Insight will be as good or better than constellation - especially Constellation with just 2 cameras.

The OTHER thing you're getting over any other WMR headset is the Touch controllers, which are obviously the best out there right now. Even the HP Reverb won't have that. So you're getting a Oculus-ecosystem WMR headset with the best tracking and the best controllers. I wish it was $300 or $350, but still, I think you're getting a better headset than other WMR ones. And $200 cheaper than the Reverb which again, has worse controllers and only 2 cameras.

To me the only letdown is the displays. If they had gone with 2K by 2K per eye LCD like HP, or even something like 1700 by 1700, I think people would be a lot less disappointed - even with worse black levels. And of course the other option would have been to use the same resolution OLED as Quest. I really hope there's a "Rift S Plus/Pro" in a LOT sooner than 3 years that has either a higher res LCD or Quest-resolution OLED. Because that would be the thing for current Rift owners to upgrade to.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Constellation was always a janky jury-rigged solution that needed you to
spend an extra $70 (I think?) on an extra sensor to get the best
360/room scale.

People keep trying to describe a room-scale setup for High-End PCVR in a "bad" way. That to me is the funniest thing to come out of this debacle. Suddenly having a high-end setup is annoying... lol

Upgrade is the new Downgrade, Back is the new Front...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzuRXLzqKk

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Rift CV1 in the US is now Unavailable - https://www.oculus.com/rift

The price for my used Rift CV1 just went from 1K to 2K, thanks! Sensors can be bought separately from me - $500 per piece - hurry, this price is only valid until lunch today!

Lol probably scalpers bought all the remaining Rift CV1's up.

Wildt
Consultant

Lujho said:

Wildt said:

This new Lenovo is in my book an arguably fancy WMR device. You can get WMR devices for  $199 - and they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. What makes FB think THIS device is gonna make anyone on the fence about PCVR put down twice as much now?

I've never used a WMR so I don't know how good/bad the 2-camera optical tracking is. But everyone who's used it says Insight is great. Constellation was always a janky jury-rigged solution that needed you to spend an extra $70 (I think?) on an extra sensor to get the best 360/room scale. Insight was built from the ground up to be the best inside-out tracking system yet seen. Aside from people putting what I feel is WAY too much emphasis on how well Insight works when controllers are out of the cameras' field of view, it seems like Insight will be as good or better than constellation - especially Constellation with just 2 cameras.

The OTHER thing you're getting over any other WMR headset is the Touch controllers, which are obviously the best out there right now. Even the HP Reverb won't have that. So you're getting a Oculus-ecosystem WMR headset with the best tracking and the best controllers. I wish it was $300 or $350, but still, I think you're getting a better headset than other WMR ones. And $200 cheaper than the Reverb which again, has worse controllers and only 2 cameras.

To me the only letdown is the displays. If they had gone with 2K by 2K per eye LCD like HP, or even something like 1700 by 1700, I think people would be a lot less disappointed - even with worse black levels. And of course the other option would have been to use the same resolution OLED as Quest. I really hope there's a "Rift S Plus/Pro" in a LOT sooner than 3 years that has either a higher res LCD or Quest-resolution OLED. Because that would be the thing for current Rift owners to upgrade to.

We're talking about the device to help PCVR mass adoption.
You really think that people, who for some reason didn't buy any of the existing cheaper HMD's, are gonna buy this $400 device based on the promise of different controllers and tracking that's said to be better than something they've never tried?

Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.

inovator
Consultant
Palmer saying if you give everyone a headset in the world  for free that alone wouldn't create a mass market. (I'm paraphrasing) i do agree with him. When reading all the article, I take out of the article that you need 3 things to grow the vr market. 1. great content. 2. Continuing hardware improvement and 3. A price that will acceptable to the masses. I believe that is what oculus is doing. Zuckerberg did say after all it would take at least 10 years.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Despite not being that interested myself in rift s I do think rifts is a good product for helping getting vr off the ground in a way the pimax 5k or vive pro can't .
I DONT think rift s is just a windows MR device because it has something windows MR owners and inknownfor a fact some vivers would dearly love.... The oculus infrastructure and software.

I love that the rift S exists but I wish it was a bit cheaper. IF oculus reaally want a device for the masses then not increasing minimum specs is a win, ease of setup is a win... But $399 plus taxes I think is a bit pricy .I predict $299 by Xmas.

The only thing I really wish is oculus ALSO offered a high end device and given they are not making these things themselves I would like to think they could have offered a rift S and a rift X.

Optional constellation support for touch is a no brainer. There is no hardware reason not to so it should not even be a decision. Will only need 2 as well so that still frees up a usb 3. Hell 2x usb2 would do it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

A_Force
Expert Protege
I've been trying to feel the same level of disappointment as you guys, but however i spin it, i feel this is great news.
The fact is that my rift CV1, despite all other headsets on the market and the 3 years that have gone by since launch, is still one of the best products out there. This tells me that i made the right decision when buying it, and that the technology has still not advanced enough to warrant an upgrade for me in 2019.

I've never been the guy who buys a new phone just because the next model is released when my old one still works. I'd rather wait a few years and get a massive improvement when i buy something new. Of course, it would be great if that time was now, but obviously it isn't!

If i could swap my CV1 for a Rift S without cost, i would do it for sure. But its not worth paying $400 for the upgrade and that's fine!
I'm glad there is a new option for new people wanting to get in to PCVR, and i would recommend it if any of my friends are looking to get in.

For me, i will just save the money and put it in an even more beastly GPU when the time finally comes for my next HMD.