cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

Chump_Change
Explorer

Cyion said:

Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion

I think these complaints are either going to be a non-issue or there is nothing officially released to confirm your complaints.

#1- According to the stuff that has been released to date by Oculus (not some "leak" from the dark corners of the internet), the headset is not confirmed to be non-360 tracking and I doubt that they would release a headset under the Rift name that wouldn't have 360 tracking. Especially in 2019.

#2- With the new lenses, there is no need for an IPD adjustment due to the wide viewing angle. It's the same reason it was removed on the Go.
#3- Where are you reading that it will be sub 90Hz?
#4- I actually agree with this.

I would be weary to call this headset a failure before there is any more official information that has been released. It is your choice to not buy the headset, I am not here to make you buy it. But using a public voice to negatively review a product with initial launch information is a little premature in my opinion.

If the poster wants to share their sources of this information, I would be more than happy to read it and change my mind but any third party website should be taken with a grain of salt.

~Chump_Change

ShineHunter
Protege

Zenbane said:

When news like this arrives, it's always the same. A flood of new posters, and then the "Legacy Trolls" log back in.

I've been signed up for years, but had nothing to say till now. Love my Rift and everything about it. 

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
Keep selling the rift as is and release a premium version with upgraded resolution so all current rift owners had to do was by a new HMD that works with our current controllers and tracking system. Minimum fuss, environmental and monetary impact.

Add the quest and all bases covered with minimum fuss

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am amazed by the passion being expressed on the Oculus Facebook forums (both closed and open), they are creating chain posts demanding changes and making suggestions. This must be the best free intelligence from the VR community since the DK1 and DK2. I only hope that the right people remaining at Oculus VR are listening.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus were at the top of the game with the CV1 especially after Touch Controllers became available.
Now that has all changed.
RIP CV1.

TC1999
Adventurer
Oculus is the leading light in VR and slowly moving towards market dominance if only by the steam survey reports as an  indicator.

What happens if this side grade of rift fails, it doesn't encourage existing rift owners to upgrade, it doesn't encourage current PC gamers who have avoided VR due to the hardware not being compelling enough for them to drop their triple or 4k screens, and finally it doesn't bring console gamers or anybody else to the PC domain, what happens then....

My concern is we start to see rift lose ground to other HMD's over the next 6 months via steam survey reports. Will Lenovo still be happy to produce an HMD that is not selling in the numbers they need. Will Facebook pull the plug?

Palmer Lucky "FREE IS NOT CHEAP ENOUGH"  Is absolutely valid even if the Rift S drops to £299 which I think it will be by the end of the year is still not cheap enough, and even if that encourages sales that is only one side of the coin you need customers on your platform, using it and buying from it. Not just buying the HMD because its cheap trying it out and then packing it away. 

Yes PC hardware is an absolute issue and producing an HMD that only a small minority or people with 1080ti or 2080ti can use is also not the answer. Pimax have only sold around 6000 to 8000 units that's ok for them but a drop in the ocean for any company trying to build a platform and infrastructure.  

However looking at the response on youtube and press has been mixed to say best, with some saying it's not worth buying, stating all the reasons people have said on this forum. 

I feel if they had given us a tethered Quest with a larger FOV of 140 degress that would at least been interesting and a pathway to what the future can hold. This would have been possible to run on a mid level PC. 

I just can not figure out what Facebook game plan is for PCVR and there is a part of me thinks they don't know either. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Techy111 said:

3vcjzo9556mr.gif

His face, i feel for him, must have thought he had won the lottery. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

You make some valid points there @TC1999.

The only thing I'd question is that FOV being drivable on mid-level PCs. That's a 40-45% increase. Some people are more interested in pixels per degree increase so is that worthy of a similar 40% improvement? Even at the same PPD, we're upping the current minimum spec by 40% (assuming only an increase in horizontal FOV), and the current spec is above mid range by most people's standards.

My expecrtations are both a PPD increase and an FOV increase. I don't think I could call anything less and enthusiast HMD now, which, unless I'm wrong is what we want from Oculus' next top tier headset.

If the complaints are that the top tier headset hasn't arrived now, I'd say it's just a little too early... by about 12 months. If the complaint is about Oculus not communicating when their next top tier headset is arriving, just to keep enthusiasts happy, well they've never really done that until relatively close to launch.

Neither complaint is invalid but just not a reason to complain about the Rift-S imho, which isn't trying to be that headset.

TC1999
Adventurer
Yep DaftnDirect I agree we do need another 12 months for PC hardware to come down in price and offer more performance. 

I mention the fov because Carmack said in his OC4 talk that they have lenses that can comfortable do 140 degrees and was running at that time on current PC hardware. 

Today with fixed foveated rendering and the improvements in ASW that 140 is possible, however I could be wrong. Even 120 would be good, sadly right now a number of youtuber who have tried the Rift S say the FOV appears smaller then the rift. 

Ultimately it will be out and it could be great or not either way time will give us the answer as to whether this was the right way to go. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

Techy111 said:

3vcjzo9556mr.gif

His face, i feel for him, must have thought he had won the lottery. lol

I had a strange encounter like this walking through my town once. There was this girl with two lads and she did exactly what this woman did, but did hug and kiss me. At first I thought she must have mistaken me for someone else, but she just walked away after doing it leaving me not knowing what to think. I have to admit for the rest of the day I thought I was Gods gift to women 😄