Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just a few days ago this was a totally normal week - can't believe how fast life can change!  :open_mouth:

https://youtu.be/HcwTxRuq-uk

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Just a few days this was a totally normal week - can't believe how fast life can change!  :open_mouth:

https://youtu.be/HcwTxRuq-uk

Inside those walls are the last remaining CV1's
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Admitted - there may be some truth to this drawing - which many of you probably have already seen. The response to Rift-S may have been even worse on Reddit compared to some of the negative posts in here (if the drawing doesn't make sense, note that the dude in the brown suit represents the average Oculus-Reddit user)...

Killing the Rift and providing an alternative that many may not want (or can't use due to need for greater IPD) - I'm not sure that's a great move - unless Oculus is forced to do so. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Admitted - there may be some truth to this drawing - which many of you probably have already seen. The response to Rift-S may have been even worse on Reddit compared to some of the negative posts in here...

Except that isn't what they did - Honestly if the did the following I feel like Rift S and the current enthusiasts wouldn't be saying much:
1) Change out the lens for better ones (the idea it has to be GO lenses is just example of what people want and not the product aka give us better lenses)
2) Change out the panels for higher resolution and full RGB only.  (Don't fucking change anything else - the design and lay out was just fine for everyone. OLED even with its short falls still look amazing in the end).
3) Aim for more comfort - but don't take away anything else.
4) Improve for options later on (add that jack for people that do not want to use headphones and/or micro phone).
5) Honestly - lets make one change here - lets go for the new tracking method to help lower the requirements into getting into VR. Explain to everyone that, hey, this is a refresh so it will still provide a good enough experience, but may not be 100% the same as we had before. The benefit here is that now we don't have to deal with senors and the upside it removes more problems the old tracking had. 
6) Remove some of the extra design elements for a more stream line lower cost shell while keeping the basic still there. For example removing the cloth around the headset (I don't mean the cloth inside) just the cloth on the outside.
7) Don't remove current features (such as IDP adjustment)
😎 Fix some key issues of the current design. For example, instead of running a cable between the headphone - run flat wires that slide across each other to make the contact so nothing is stretch or pull when adjusting the head strap.

Price - 399 or 349$.

*I've open my Oculus Rift - there are more screws (and I mean thic screws too) in that thing then there is anything else. A LOT of plastic is used just for the shape and the shell. They could remove almost another 20% of that plastic off and have a better cost while providing the same design and look. Most of the metal that was use inside the headset could be turn into hard plastic as well or use another material instead while providing less weight.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Wonder how long it'll be before someone makes an angry Mr Hitler in his bunker video........
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So I played with my Go a bit last night, and I'm coming around on the Rift S. I pulled out the facial interface and pressed the Go tight onto my face, and the FOV is not bad (probably a little better than Rift CV1), although I can see the edges of the screen when I do that, so there is a hard limit. It would be nice if the lenses and screen were a little bigger, but I can manage to get a pretty good position with each eye on the outer edge of the sweet spot (just not a lot of wiggle room). It would probably look better if the Go had a software IPD adjustment.

The LCD screen has a nice image, and I don't have any issue with the vibrancy or black levels. My Rift doesn't have perfect blacks anyway (I've never bothered messing with the SPUD tool). And of course, the Go lenses are a big improvement over the CV1.

I'm not sure about the new headband design, but people seem to like the comfort--the CV1 straps are a little too tight for my big head, so perhaps the new design would be better for me, as long as the band expands enough for me to get it on. Since there's no electronics or ribbon cables in the back, hopefully there is less limit on how far it can move.

I'd love to try out the new passthrough mode and tracking, but I'll see how that is on Quest when it releases.

I'm still disappointed that there isn't enough improvement in the Rift S to make it a definite upgrade over the CV1, but if my Rift were to die this summer, I would go ahead and grab a Rift S. I got my hopes up when we heard that Oculus was releasing a new headset, but in the end I'm still happy with what I have, and I'll get my "new toy fix" from the Quest.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

pyroth309
Visionary

nalex66 said:

I'm not sure about the new headband design, but people seem to like the comfort--the CV1 straps are a little too tight for my big head, so perhaps the new design would be better for me, as long as the band expands enough for me to get it on. Since there's no electronics or ribbon cables in the back, hopefully there is less limit on how far it can move.

I think the strap across the top of the Halo will make it better than the previous attempts. It will alleviate the forehead pressure I get from the O+ and PSVR. It's kind of funny that the O+ fits me better than the PSVR does. My head is weird apparently.

inovator
Consultant
I like my go but for me it isn't that comfortable without the ridge piece the rift has. I'm happy the quest will be more rift like.

inovator
Consultant
My Playstation vr is very comfortable so I'm glad oculus went in that direction.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

I plan to retire mine one day, I have a mint unopened in box DK1 and DK2 but I am not buying a mint CV1 lol it will just be retired one day, placed in the lovely box it came in and put away for the future 🙂

Ya, I also have a WMR Dell headset, retired and currently in its box.  Maybe just me but I think Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) VR is very poor compared to my Oculus Rift.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers