Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

Agree Oculus really needs to share a roadmap especially with all  the questions now on PC-VR after this Leno - err Rift S release.
As far as I am concerned, when it comes to PC-VR Oculus has abandoned what "brung them to the party".
Thankfully we now have other HMD manufacturers that are jumping in to fill that void.

Who has done this?  Thanks.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ohgrant
Superstar

snowdog said:

ohgrant said:

Not sure at this point what will be my next purchase. Modding my Vive with the gear VR lenses gave me greater appreciation for the importance of the optics for me to get the most immersive experience. I was still using my DK2 when I got my gear VR. When I first got my Rift those ridged plastic Fresnel lenses were a bit of a disappointment when it came to watching 3D movies and apps that were cross platform to gear VR and CV1 and didn't really benefit from PC mojo. When I picked up my Vive real cheap, first thing I noticed was the image quality was pretty much unbearable to me with those hazy optics. 
 I'm not sure if the lenses in the Gear VR are considered Fresnel. They don't have the layered ridges the Vive and Rift has, completely smooth convex lens just like all the ghetto mobile VR headsets, but much higher quality, I've seen. It seems like those ridged outer ring lenses are a premium feature only on high end VR gear. 
 To my eyes what those ridged outer rings do it add a bit of haze and blurriness, create a sweet spot and magnify a bit, slightly making the SDE more apparent there but blur the outer area. Also the cause of godrays Makes me think it's designed purpose was kind of a built in comfort mode. . With the lens mod, there is no sweet spot, SDE is apparent less at the sweet spot IMO , maximum super sampling and no ridges has made me content with current gear. The Rifts optics suffer to a much lesser degree than the stock Vive optics. If the lenses in the R-S are of the same smooth design as the Gear VR lenses, I'll probably get one sooner or later. 
  I'm going to keep my money ready for the inevitable price war when Vive releases their outsourced mobile/PC offering.
 At the end of the day I think it all will have a good effect on the VR scene if sales permit, there will be more people buying VR games and apps. The lower specs will force the devs to do more with less in a x86 Win environment. 

There won't be a price war of any description when the Vive Cosmos is released because it'll be at least twice as expensive as the Rift S knowing HTC.

Has it been confirmed that HTC is the manufacturer of the Cosmos? When it was announced I remember reading much speculation that it was a re-branded samsung WMR device. 
   Weird we didn't hear anything about Cosmos or Rift-S until recently, sure seems like the start of an outsourced price war to me. I heard about the Cosmos first, I believe it was Steam's response to the Quest, then the Rift-S talk started, I believe Oculus's response to the Cosmos.
 In any case, I will probably eventually get one or all of them, but I won't be paying full price, that's for sure. I welcome the arrival of the Rift-S, Quest and Cosmos to the VR scene, but I will not be an early adopter of any of them. The money stays with me until more info, user reviews and prices stabilize.    
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

TomCgcmfc said:

Techy111 said:

I plan to retire mine one day, I have a mint unopened in box DK1 and DK2 but I am not buying a mint CV1 lol it will just be retired one day, placed in the lovely box it came in and put away for the future 🙂

Ya, I also have a WMR Dell headset, retired and currently in its box.  Maybe just me but I think Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) VR is very poor compared to my Oculus Rift.

I have the same, and after seeing that the S is not really much of a improvment for present Vr owners, and having a look at what else is on offer in 2019, i have decided to stick with the Rift and Dell, and use the Dell for my sit down driving games(Euro truck sim, ATS, Dirt Rally), and the Rift for everything else...as i have already been doing. and wait until 2020 to see what is on the horizon for VR....PSVR should also be improving come 2020....and at least my wallet will be very happy with this. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ohgrant said:

snowdog said:

ohgrant said:

Not sure at this point what will be my next purchase. Modding my Vive with the gear VR lenses gave me greater appreciation for the importance of the optics for me to get the most immersive experience. I was still using my DK2 when I got my gear VR. When I first got my Rift those ridged plastic Fresnel lenses were a bit of a disappointment when it came to watching 3D movies and apps that were cross platform to gear VR and CV1 and didn't really benefit from PC mojo. When I picked up my Vive real cheap, first thing I noticed was the image quality was pretty much unbearable to me with those hazy optics. 
 I'm not sure if the lenses in the Gear VR are considered Fresnel. They don't have the layered ridges the Vive and Rift has, completely smooth convex lens just like all the ghetto mobile VR headsets, but much higher quality, I've seen. It seems like those ridged outer ring lenses are a premium feature only on high end VR gear. 
 To my eyes what those ridged outer rings do it add a bit of haze and blurriness, create a sweet spot and magnify a bit, slightly making the SDE more apparent there but blur the outer area. Also the cause of godrays Makes me think it's designed purpose was kind of a built in comfort mode. . With the lens mod, there is no sweet spot, SDE is apparent less at the sweet spot IMO , maximum super sampling and no ridges has made me content with current gear. The Rifts optics suffer to a much lesser degree than the stock Vive optics. If the lenses in the R-S are of the same smooth design as the Gear VR lenses, I'll probably get one sooner or later. 
  I'm going to keep my money ready for the inevitable price war when Vive releases their outsourced mobile/PC offering.
 At the end of the day I think it all will have a good effect on the VR scene if sales permit, there will be more people buying VR games and apps. The lower specs will force the devs to do more with less in a x86 Win environment. 

There won't be a price war of any description when the Vive Cosmos is released because it'll be at least twice as expensive as the Rift S knowing HTC.

Has it been confirmed that HTC is the manufacturer of the Cosmos? When it was announced I remember reading much speculation that it was a re-branded samsung WMR device. 
   Weird we didn't hear anything about Cosmos or Rift-S until recently, sure seems like the start of an outsourced price war to me. I heard about the Cosmos first, I believe it was Steam's response to the Quest, then the Rift-S talk started, I believe Oculus's response to the Cosmos.
 In any case, I will probably eventually get one or all of them, but I won't be paying full price, that's for sure. I welcome the arrival of the Rift-S, Quest and Cosmos to the VR scene, but I will not be an early adopter of any of them. The money stays with me until more info, user reviews and prices stabilize.    

HTC own the Vive IP and will be selling it, doesn't make any difference who manufactures it. Same with the Rift S. The Vive Cosmos is an HTC headset, the Oculus Rift S is an Oculus headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

dburne said:

Agree Oculus really needs to share a roadmap especially with all  the questions now on PC-VR after this Leno - err Rift S release.
As far as I am concerned, when it comes to PC-VR Oculus has abandoned what "brung them to the party".
Thankfully we now have other HMD manufacturers that are jumping in to fill that void.

Who has done this?  Thanks.

Vive Pro, Samsung Odyssey, the upcoming HP Reverb ( next month). Cosmos ( whenever it comes).

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

ohgrant said:

Good point @ohgrant - the truth seems a little more complicated. The current speculation is that the Cosmos is part of the Qualcomm initiative that is being supported by Pico, Samsung and Acer (to name three), and that this will be part of a Standalone/5G/tethered PC hybrid that will be launched Q4. The concept was shown, restrictively at MWC (image) along with the Focus Pro, and is linked to a major initiative from some AAA developers who are side stepping current generation headsets.

6x82hodmnzzx.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

ohgrant
Superstar

snowdog said:

ohgrant said:

snowdog said:

ohgrant said:

HTC own the Vive IP and will be selling it, doesn't make any difference who manufactures it. Same with the Rift S. The Vive Cosmos is an HTC headset, the Oculus Rift S is an Oculus headset.

Well whoever is the parent co, they are still governed by the same economics as everyone else and I'm sure their stock holders will have a say in it. Just because they made bad decisions in the past doesn't mean they have to stay the course. The one thing they are allegedly better at was that lighthouse tracking. From my understanding the Cosmos is also abandoning that for inside out. If they are willing to abandon that, I think they are going to be on a much more aggressive course seeking the same customers Oculus is with their mobile line. I see no logic in expecting a company to continue making bad decisions based on their past. I'm not counting HTC/Vive out yet.     
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ohgrant said:

snowdog said:

ohgrant said:

snowdog said:

ohgrant said:

Well whoever is the parent co, they are still governed by the same economics as everyone else and I'm sure their stock holders will have a say in it. Just because they made bad decisions in the past doesn't mean they have to stay the course. The one thing they are allegedly better at was that lighthouse tracking. From my understanding the Cosmos is also abandoning that for inside out. If they are willing to abandon that, I think they are going to be on a much more aggressive course seeking the same customers Oculus is with their mobile line. I see no logic in expecting a company to continue making bad decisions based on their past. I'm not counting HTC/Vive out yet.     

Oculus has left that high end PC-VR door absolutely wide open for them.

ohgrant
Superstar
  I think both are seeing there isn't a lot of profit there in that area. there are only so many 2080ti owners out there compared to the rest. There is a lot at stake with the next gen HMD for both. I don't think either can afford to be outdone that much by the other. I expect to see much hesitation for the first next gen gear to come out. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

ohgrant said:

I think both are seeing there isn't a lot of profit there in that area. there are only so many 2080ti owners out there compared to the rest. There is a lot at stake with the next gen HMD for both. I don't think either can afford to be outdone that much by the other. I expect to see much hesitation for the first next gen gear to come out. 

Going by previous releases I think that HTC are going for a 2 year lifespan for their high end PC VR headsets and Oculus are going for 3 years.

HTC released the Vive in 2016 and the Vive Pro in 2018, so I think it's a safe bet for us to see a Vive 2 in 2020.

Oculus have released the Rift in 2016 and are releasing the Rift S in 2019, so I think there's a reasonably safe bet that we'll see the CV2 being released in 2022 and a CV2 S being released in 2025.

I don't think we'll see the Cosmos being released this year because that will mean they've released three headsets in three years. Same with the CV2 next year from Oculus too.