Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

ohgrant
Superstar
Fair enough, time will tell
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Oculus/Facebook have a number of highly qualified and experienced professionals working on their VR products. They do a lot of market research and know their products better than anyone.

Yet all the armchair experts here seem to think they know better. Well, Zenbane always thinks he knows better, that's a given, but this thread and all the other ones here trying to tell Oculus how they are doing it wrong just make me laugh.

So thanks for the light entertainment 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think Oculus and other companies needs to get their act together tbh. Most people would have been pleased if Rift -S had Oculus Quest screens and kept the same design judging by the comments made on this forum. Why Oculus think they know best when lots of their customers are saying they won't be purchasing Rift -S, just proves they don't know what's best at all. 

Why don't they involve their customers and listen to feedback instead of making some really crap decisions and doing it all their own way? Just a quick look at this forum would have told them that everyone was expecting Quest Screens. I just hope someone can step up to the plate and deliver a VR headsets that most people want. I don't think it's rocket science to know what will impress people most and want won't. 

This isn't even about cost given the Oculus Quest has better hardware and costs the same as the Rift -S.  

ShocksVR
Superstar

RedRizla said:

I think Oculus and other companies needs to get their act together tbh. Most people would have been pleased if Rift -S had Oculus Quest screens and kept the same design judging by the comments made on this forum. Why Oculus think they know best when lots of their customers are saying they won't be purchasing Rift -S, just proves they don't know what's best at all. 

Why don't they involve their customers and listen to feedback instead of making some really crap decisions and doing it all their own way? Just a quick look at this forum would have told them that everyone was expecting Quest Screens. I just hope someone can step up to the plate and deliver a VR headsets that most people want. I don't think it's rocket science to know what will impress people most and want won't. 

This isn't even about cost given the Oculus Quest has better hardware and costs the same as the Rift -S.  

I too wanted the 1600p screens that are on the Quest.
But 1600p OLED is Pentile, whereas the LCD screen on Rift-S will be 1440p LCD RGB.  The RGB layout allows for a higher packing of pixel density, therefore improving screen door effect from the Pentile layout.  I own the GO and it looks pretty pretty pretty good.

Here's a pic showing the 1600p VivePro and 1440p GO:

byx0gqhhal9a.png

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

pjenness
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

I'm definitely buying Quest, but Rift-S won't enter Casa Grayskull unless it supports external sensors. I'd rather wait for a proper CV2, or wait for a competitor to release a proper product.

I think I agree with you.

Oculus-S announced.....Quest it is 🙂

Having said that...Rift - S is great as a improvement to the PC level entrance for those without Rift. And Makes me more excited for the generation after.

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@ShocksOculus - I don't know much about screen technology, but to me the Oculus Go screen in your pic looks better then the Vive Pro. Even the blacks look blacker in the Oculus Go pic, so why are people saying Lcd displays more like grey?

Maybe I should just demo it some where before saying anything more.

ShocksVR
Superstar

RedRizla said:

@ShocksOculus - I don't know much about screen technology, but to me the Oculus Go screen in your pic looks better then the Vive Pro. Even the blacks look blacker in the Oculus Go pic, so why are people saying Lcd displays more like grey?

Maybe I should just demo it some where before saying anything more.

Ya!  Now let me show you an image comparing the God Rays. Holy Cow that looks way better !

rdyfokqf0nr5.png

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Like I've mentioned before, if the Oculus Quest had been worked on BEFORE the Oculus Go we'd see BOE's fast-switch LCDs in the Quest. Carmack, after seeing on good they fare in the Oculus Go, would have preferred to see them in the Quest instead of the OLED but time didn't allow for a switch.

I'd trust Carmack to know what's best rather than any of us lot, including my good self, because Carmack is GOD, 😮

I think I'm going to hold off getting a Rift S until November I think so that we can get more of an idea from Abrash when a CV2 is likely to be seen. My money would be on 2022 for a CV2 with 4K displays and foveated rendering then 4025 for a CV2 S with the varifocal and POSSIBLY higher resolution displays.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well looking at these screens Rift -S looks good, so I'll take back all what I've said about it. I'm not holding onto CV1 when Rift-S actually looks better the Vive Pro, if these screen shots are anything to go by.

inovator
Consultant
Like I said earlier many nay sayers will eventually climb aboard the same train.