cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

KoBak07
Protege

snowdog said:

Abrash at OC5 said that we were years away from the technology in Half Dome being ready, in terms of the hardware inside the headset so I'm personally not expecting Half Dome prototype's features being in a commercial Oculus headset until 2022.

We'll see the CV2, based on the Half Moon prototype, in 2022 and a CV2 S update in 2025 imo.

Unfortunately for me it's rather looking like that FB is trying to go the same route that consoles went. Release as low as spec device at as low of a price possible, and let developers build games for this lowest hardware requirements.

I understand why they built the Quest, you have to start somewhere on that road. I don't think that its anything interesting for people who started with the better end of the Gen 1 hardware. What kind of VR immersion would come from something that is build on already obsolete mobile phone chip, when we are talking about having to make compromises to drive PCVR for a higher resolution, with graphics power already 10-40X that of the mobile SOC.

I just feel, they wanted to dumb down PCVR as much as possible, so that there is not that big of a gap with the Quest. Almost Deja Vu with Sony and MSFT paying off AAA devs to downgrade games on PCs to "keep parity"

Very disappointed with the Rift S, not necessarily because they are maybe trying to release a more accessible headset option for PC VR, but rather that all things point to them exiting the mid/high end market. First alarm was Iribe leaving, then now replacing their PCVR solution with an overall downgraded product, one build by Lenovo, who I would argue built the by far the shittiest WMR headset before.

Anonymous
Not applicable
They will ALWAYS have a high end PC VR headset on the way because they need them to test out new technology that enthusiasts are willing to pay for before said technology matures and becomes cheap enough to be included in both of their standalone headsets.

High-end PC VR headsets aren't going anywhere, they're just using the tick tock model for them.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

They will ALWAYS have a high end PC VR headset on the way because they need them to test out new technology that enthusiasts are willing to pay for before said technology matures and becomes cheap enough to be included in both of their standalone headsets.

High-end PC VR headsets aren't going anywhere, they're just using the tick tock model for them.

Agreed. The biggest problem with the current landscape is that only Oculus with the Rift CV1 has the "perfect" overall experience from HMD to Touch controllers. Everything else feels like a sacrifice/downgrade in comparison, in one way or another. Once we have a better level playing field, then high-end PCVR as a niche market will be badass!

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I was really disappointed as well about the Rift S, been hoping for a new rift some time now.
But I don't think it's all bad, I welcome the inside out tracking! 
With one sensor in the closet for sim racing and two in the hallway outside the closet I often have tracking issues, and have to disconect and reconnect my sensors constantly.. .

But why get rid of the headphones Oculus??
Really like my Rift headphones! And if you improve on comfort, how comfortable will it be with another pair of headphones on our heads with the Rift S!?.. . No thanks!
Also find it weird that the Quest will get better rez and screens than the Rift S..

So sadly I'm going to pass on this.. 
But if you would keep the headphones, put in the oled screens, lens and rez as for the Quest and I would buy this in a heartbeat!!
You can call it The Rift S+ 🙂

The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:

Agreed. The biggest problem with the current landscape is that only Oculus with the Rift CV1 has the "perfect" overall experience from HMD to Touch controllers. Everything else feels like a sacrifice/downgrade in comparison, in one way or another. Once we have a better level playing field, then high-end PCVR as a niche market will be badass!

I agree with this statement - we need an AMD of things to Intel of things of Oculus. I hope Steam might release their HMD as that might be able to keep/combat Oculus on a store to store front - but knowing them - that might never happen.

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer
All this has made me have a harder look at HTC stuff

edmg
Trustee

rVRcloset said:

But why get rid of the headphones Oculus??

Because the Go-style speakers in the headband work very well for casual users.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I suspect HTC will not stick with outside in tracking which is something to note.

Cpt_Custard
Adventurer

RedRizla said:

I suspect HTC will not stick with outside in tracking which is something to note.

Well looking at the cosmos I think you are probably right. I dont need super accurate tracking so much though as I don't play energetic stuff like beat sabre etc. For me it is the resolution so HP Reverb and a 2080ti might be better.

edmg
Trustee

RedRizla said:

No-one is going to stick with outside-in tracking. It's a technological dead-end.