cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer
Will I able to use my Oculus "camera", the camera accessories for Oculus Rift that are outside in tracking? I bought three of then and have been considering buying a 4th for a while now. If the new inside out cameras are in any way a tracking downgrade, I would rather use the accessories I get with the original CV1. Plus I bought them, and might as well use them.

If I can't use my cameras, that's really disappointing because what I want most out of VR right now isn't better screens, it's better tracking. I definitely don't want to buy a Rift S from my Rift CV1 if it's a downgrade in any way on tracking. It has several more cameras than Windows Mixed Reality headsets have, but I don't know if it's enough to overcome the shortcomings. The reason I prefer my Rift to Windows Mixed Reality is because the tracking is very difficult to put up with and not nearly as good as Rift. Good tracking is kind of the major reason I enjoy Rift. And why I've found Windows Mixed Reality a big disappointment. If adding all these extra Inside Out cameras to the headset is enough to make the tracking as good as the original CV1 Rift, then that's fine. But if it isn't, then that's a downgrade.

And that's a disappointment. And means I will want to keep my original Rift. The problem is, I may not have a choice. I've had to send my Rift in for repairs several times by now, and while I've gotten luck this time, I don't know how long it will last. With them stopping production of CV1 Rifts, and Rift S being a replacement and not a third pillar, that means I can't go back to what I'm anticipating will still be the better tracking method. Because of this, I'm kind of in a rush to get an extra Rift camera and possibly even an extra CV1 Rift.

As a Samsung Odyssey+ and several other WMR owner now, I have to say that, while a better screen resolution is wonderful, it isn't nearly as important as tracking for a fun VR experience. The last thing you want is to lose your hands inexplicably in the middle of play. And I feel like I made a mistake by buying WMR headsets instead of just saving up for a Vive.

As such, if I won't be able to use the original Rift outside in tracking method with Rift anymore, if anything happens to my CV1, I won't be replacing it with a Rift S. I'll be waiting for the real Rift 2, and in the meantime, saving for a Vive. No a Rift S, or an HP Reverb, as nice as the resolution sounds. But what I want most out of VR right now, and what I think is most important to VR at the moment; good tracking. I already really wanted Full Body Tracking and Finger Tracking most from VR and I made a thread several months ago saying that was what I wanted and needed most from VR at the moment, better tracking and more kinds of tracking. But Windows Mixed Reality offers worse tracking than Rift, and it feels like, I fear, that Rift is going backwards in this area. Leaving only Vive who prioritizes what I think they should; good tracking and more tracking options.

I'm really looking forward to Vive Knuckles at this point, and I wish I had invested in a Vive far sooner. Any direction for VR that doesn't prioritize tracking, isn't a direction for me. I can easily put up with 10 less FPS, even though we as an industry should be moving towards 120Hz/FPS VR and gaming in general. And I can put up with LCD screens, WMR mostly uses LCD and I think they look gorgeous. But I firmly believe that the most important thing that needs improving in VR, and is definitely the most important thing for me, is tracking. I can't put up with Inside Out tracking if it means being even slightly worse than the original Rift. And I don't think that's an acceptable compromise.

I'm not inspired confidence by the Rift S and by Inside Out tracking so far. And if it is a downgrade, I'm afraid I'm going to jump ship and buy a Vive. Possibly even selling my Rift and WMR headsets in the meantime to pay for it if Knuckles is announced and released soon. I hate to do that because I do enjoy my games on the Oculus Store and I like having several options. But if the Rift S is as much of a downgrade as I fear it is, and this signals the direction of Rift and Oculus, I'm better off investing wholly in the Vive ecosystem instead.
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

All this has made me have a harder look at HTC stuff

A week of debacle made me harder too.

Wait, what?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Plus we now need Headphone accessories if we don't want a downgrade. It's a severe bad choice to do the same as Go when this is presently Oculus TOP OF RANGE VR UNIT!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

edmg said:

RedRizla said:
I suspect HTC will not stick with outside in tracking which is something to note.

No-one is going to stick with outside-in tracking. It's a technological dead-end.

To that end, everything is a technological dead-end. Even the VR HMD's. One day we'll replace them with glasses. Then contact lenses. Then brain chip implants.

jayhawk
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

jayhawk said:
Are you going to notice a difference between 80 and 90hz? So far no one seems to.

Would you consciously notice the difference between 80 and 70 Hz on a LCD (LCDs are flicker-free); would you notice the difference between 70 and 60 Hz on a LCD? I bet many persons wouldn't.

Not a great comparison. As you get lower in Hz, a difference of 10 becomes more noticeable. I absolutely would notice the difference between 10hz and 20hz. Only the most trained would ever notice the difference between 120hz 130hz. Question here is are we going to notice 90 to 80. I'm not going to speculate until I see it for myself.

MadSheogorath
Honored Guest
When company puts marketing in first place - it gains earnings. But loses progress. Though progress most likely brings much more earnings in long terms. Hard to understand, but so many examples... Well it's Vive's turn now I guess.

edmg
Trustee

Zenbane said:
To that end, everything is a technological dead-end. Even the VR HMD's. One day we'll replace them with glasses. Then contact lenses. Then brain chip implants.

VR glasses and contact lenses will be an evolution of VR headsets, not a replacement. Outside-in tracking was a quick hack to get cheap 6DOF VR working, not a long-term technology. There's not a lot in common with the inside-out tracking that will replace it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

edmg said:

Zenbane said:

VR glasses and contact lenses will be an evolution of VR headsets, not a replacement.

You don't see how the evolution of VR headsets in to contact lenses would serve as a replacement for VR HMD's?? Then how do you see Inside-Out tracking as a replacement for Outside-In? lol

There's a very obvious answer that allows contact lenses and VR glasses (in the future) to replace an HMD. The answer lies within the reason Inside-Out tracking for WMR, Quest, and Rift-S are considered successful with their tracking despite having blind spots.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jayhawk said:

RuneSR2 said:

jayhawk said:
Are you going to notice a difference between 80 and 90hz? So far no one seems to.

Would you consciously notice the difference between 80 and 70 Hz on a LCD (LCDs are flicker-free); would you notice the difference between 70 and 60 Hz on a LCD? I bet many persons wouldn't.

Not a great comparison. As you get lower in Hz, a difference of 10 becomes more noticeable. I absolutely would notice the difference between 10hz and 20hz. Only the most trained would ever notice the difference between 120hz 130hz. Question here is are we going to notice 90 to 80. I'm not going to speculate until I see it for myself.

Well certainly there was a time Oculus believed less than 90 HZ would not be good.
Things change.

edmg
Trustee

Zenbane said:
You don't see how the evolution of VR headsets in to contact lenses would serve as a replacement for VR HMD's?? Then how do you see Inside-Out tracking as a replacement for Outside-In? lol

This is just getting silly. VR contact lenses are just VR HMDs in a more convenient package. Inside-out tracking is a fundamentally different technology, even if both use cameras.

Outside-in tech was necessary in 2016, but no-one would have used it if inside-out was easy to do at that time. The cool kids might still use VR HMDs in twenty years when VR contact lenses are readily available, just as they play vinyl records today. But only a handful of people with very specialized requirements are going to be using outside-in tracking.