cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

278 REPLIES 278

eraserhead360
Protege
A nice option would be to buy the Quest and use the upcoming TPCast Air dongle to stream your games from your PC. According to a press release the TPcast Air that supports the Oculus Go will also support the Quest in the future. Since I was planning to buy the Quest anyway, I think the TPCast streaming solution is, at least for me, the way to go. Of course we have to wait and see how it works and how expensive it will be.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

HP Reverb piggybacks off of WMR so integration should be fine. But there is a lot of Frankenstein hackery required to make it as viable as the Rift CV1 in terms of a "complete package."

Yea this. WMR has had some pretty good software updates and it's a lot better than it was but it's feature lacking. I do actually like the cliffhouse because I have my Xbox friends list up in there and my Email and such on the wall as well as a web browser, and I can launch SteamVR games from in there. It's kinda cool to have it be a functional virtual office like the Rift Home space..and it loads instant! lol

The biggest difference is Windows store has very few VR games so you rely on SteamVR and Revive. SteamVR works as well as SteamVr works for anyone and I'll leave it at that. Revive works pretty well but I've had some issues with controller mapping in some games. Overall the software isn't that big of a deal to me anymore like it used to be.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Hmmmm the more I think about this the more I am starting to sway. I wonder how much I could get for a rift, 3 sensors and a brand new never used replacement face plate.
I could probably even throw in an inateck usb 3 card
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
Not until they at least give us the screen and rez of the Quest, and I also wan't headphones included in my next HMD as well.
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Yeah, I've decided I'm definitely getting the Rift -S now. I mean they are not asking the earth for it and hears the things I like. GodRays just about gone if not gone. Tracking won't be a problem because their software will take care of blank spots, if the camera's don't pick up the tiny area around the back of your head. I like PS VR design because it is so comfy, it's much better the having something pressed up against your face. No more messing around with my sensors, but I'll leave them up because I think Oculus might still use them until they perfect their inside out tracking. I have games I purchased from the Oculus store, so no messing with revive. It's a win win situation in my opinion and I'm getting one.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I'm on the fence. The tracking solution is ideal for me (laptop + high travel job), the god rays should be mostly gone and I expect I'll like the controllers. But the use of the halo instead of the strap, lack of headphones and lackluster resolution do bother me. I'll have to wait and see some reviews comparing the Rift S to the Odyssey+ for a better idea. I briefly considered the Reverb, but there's just no way my laptop RTX 2070 can run that at 90 fps in even low graphical fidelity games like Skyrim, nevermind something prettier. The resolution of the Odyssey+ is more doable, judging by my current super sampling settings.

I would like to know how the Odyssey+'s visual quality compares to the Go, since that's basically what we're getting. Anyone have a link comparing the image quality between the two? I've seen that blurry painting one from MRTV, but that's not very informative. Something with a sharp image or text would be ideal.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm also concerned about how that Halo will respond to high-movement experiences like Boxing. But that will require first-hand experience to come to a conclusion.

pjenness
Rising Star
No for now.
Not really enough to make me upgrade.
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

Lujho said:

Oh that sounds cool, suppose it makes it handy when your looking for the beer on your desk or some chocolate.

Yes, especially since the Rift S seems to have a design that blocks out more light around the nose area so you can't just look down to see.

If I write any software for the Rift-S, I'll add in an optional virtual nose gap, so it does a little passthrough to simulate a CV1. I find the nose gap damn handy. (If the gap gets annoying, I just turn the lights off, something the Rift-S can't handle)

Actually I've just thought of an awesome use for the Rift-S. Something that a certain segment of the VR community would love, that can't be done with Windows MR or Rift. But I don't want to say anything yet until I see if the SDK can handle it (whenever they release an SDK with Rift-S support) and I can make a demo. Damn it, guess I need to buy one. 😞
(Oh well, I've already got 6 VR headsets (7 when Quest comes out), might as well get an 8th one too)

Join the Oculus Start programme after the Rift S has released. If you've published VR software somewhere you'll qualify if I'm remembering correctly. Currently you get a free Rift, free Oculus Go, various Oculus branded stuff like a glass, pen and stuff. I'm expecting them to replace the free Rift with a free Rift S and it wouldn't surprise me if they add a free Quest to the bundle too because they'll want developers for the Quest I reckon.

jayhawk
Superstar
If I want to keep using VR, I have no choice. My Rift just sits right now. After the novelty of it wore off, the SDE bothers me too much. I think most of what makes up the Rift S is indeed an upgrade. Little bummed about the headphones, but there are a few pluses, like nothing on ear. Besides, there's talk of a headphone accessory.