Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If you zoom in even closer, you can see the manufacturer Logo...

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

vannagirl said:

Ya!  Now let me show you an image comparing the God Rays. Holy Cow that looks way better !

rdyfokqf0nr5.png

Huh

why does Vive Pro look so so bad, atleast to my eyes.

Maybe i need glasses

I think the images are only trying to capture the god rays - not the true sharpness - but agreed, comparing different angles and levels of blurry shots may easily make us compare apples to oranges - potentially predisposing to false conclusions (and of course such photos aren't easy to take). 

The video shows it better. Go to 17:10.

Of course it could be a circumstance of camera capture too. Heres' a vid from a different guy/camera

The Go's blacks look acceptable in those scenes. I actually bought a GO for my Ex and we broke up while it was in shipment lol. I never got to use it.

ShocksVR
Superstar

vannagirl said:

Ya!  Now let me show you an image comparing the God Rays. Holy Cow that looks way better !

rdyfokqf0nr5.png

Huh

why does Vive Pro look so so bad, atleast to my eyes.

Maybe i need glasses

That pic is for comparing God Rays.
It's worth noting, that even though the Vive Pro has an improved 1600p OLED, the Vive Pro still uses the OLD Vive lenses (like seriously HTC).  The God Rays are coming form the use of the old lenses.
You can also see some of the concentric ring pattern that Vive uses complain about.

Whereas the GO uses Oculus' "next gen" lenses that have significantly reduced God Rays and larger sweet spot.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer
I'm going to have to pass on this unless I can get my hands on a VR ready laptop or backpack, and can take a Rift S to go wirelessly walk around VR at a local unoccupied indoor basketball court or some other free roaming area where I can just walk around a VR space freely, but not have to compromise on playing PC games. The game I play most in VR, VRChat, is not going to work with all in one VR solutions like Oculus Quest.

But if I could get my hands on a high end, lightweight gaming laptop for VR, to put in a backpack with maybe a couple extra batteries for longer sessions. And find a safe big open space to walk around in VR, then I could see myself putting up with all of the downsides of the Rift S. It would at least be better for freeroaming PCVR than WMRs with less inside-out cameras. I would probably try to go to a local gym with a basketball court when no one is using it as to avoid dangers and sunlight which damages HMDs.

But I don't have a VR ready laptop, or a VR gaming backpack, and I just got done paying off my new high end VR ready desktop. The most disappointing aspect of the Rift S for me personally is the tracking. People who have tried it at GDC say the extra cameras go a long way towards making the tracking better than Windows Mixed Reality, but still isn't perfect, and still isn't even as good as the outside-in tracking on the original CV1 Rift. Meaning as someone who doesn't free roam VR or have the equipment for it yet, and doesn't want to settle for quest, and plays in a bedroom, this is a downgrade on the most important VR feature for me.

There's definitely a use case for this. And I can see wanting one a lot if I had a VR ready laptop or backpack to go roaming around the biggest indoor space I could find and safely use. But it's definitely not for me. It's not what I needed out of a refresh at all. And compromises on several of the aspects of the Rift that mattered the most to me.

It makes me sad that if my Rift ever breaks, I may have to settle on a Rift S if I want a Rift again. Or find a used Rift CV1, which might be expensive. I think at that point I would rather just get a Vive, though. The only downside with Vive is it can be a bit more expensive and the Vive Pucks aren't as good as Oculus controllers. But I've started to realize I would much rather deal with Vive Pucks than inside-out tracking. Plus hopefully Valve won't keep delaying their Knuckles controllers indefinitely.

Had Oculus wanted to focus on going in the direction that is most important, to me at least. Which is better tracking, instead of portability and improved resolution, I would have been more than happy to keep supporting Oculus. At this point I'm saving my money for a Vive rather than a Rift S. Sorry, Oculus.
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor

vannagirl
Consultant

inovator said:

The evasive legendary knuckles controllers. Maybe they will come out with the cosmos.

I hear they are being bundled with a Star Citizen release
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

vannagirl said:

I heard they'll be released with Half-LIfe VR and the new Valve headset. That would be a game changer. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Zoom in to the right knuckles thumb stick, broken I'd say.....

I hear that might be why we havent see them yet - that they keep breaking and the plastic theyre using to cheap out on just isnt working for them lol.

inovator
Consultant
vannagirl said:
I think half life would be more likely.

inovator
Consultant
Today I was going to play my rift which lately has only been on weekends since I can keep it set up for 1.5 days. But now that rift s is close I got super lazy. I will only play the go and borderlands vr on psvr until then. It's kind of a relief not  to have to continue that crazy setting up. I will now drink to my rift and be grateful for the many hours of game play and helping my lifelong dream of vr come true. It is now officially retired.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm keeping my sensors connected to the wall just in-case Oculus decide to use them in their software for Rift -S. But I will wait for Rift -S before starting anymore new games. I want to see them in all their glory on the new Rift -S. I just hope it arrives May 2nd or before.