cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Rift CV1 Owners: Will you plan to purchase the Rift-S ??

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The news is out, the new face of Rift is now the Rift-S:

Some new info came in that sheds more light on Rift-S:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus' messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own the other.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

Here's the best YouTube video on the topic, with a great interview with Nate Mitchell from Oculus:

The Rift-S seems to be a refresh of the Rift product-line, and its primary target audience seems more aligned with "new PCVR users," as opposed to alluring existing Rift CV1 owners to partake in a long awaited upgrade. So my question is... how many of you Rift CV1 owners are planning on purchasing the Rift-S based on the information we have now??

278 REPLIES 278

jayhawk
Superstar

RedRizla said:

Techy111 said:

It's a no from me, not needed or wanted mate. I have a CV1 and a Go. I'll probably jump ship now.

What would you jump ship to if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I don't think there's a better alternative for the price. Eventually the Vive pro will be redundant because Valve will also start using inside out tracking. The HP Reverb is the only other I can see, but it uses only 2 camera's for tracking, unlike Rift -S five camera's with a cheaper price tag.

Reverb is also LCD, and the Pimax as well.

dtrjones
Protege
When I first bought the CV1 it was something really special. The packaging, Oculus being a top brand and the promise of exciting VR experiences. I don't know what the packaging for the WMR Rift S headset will be like but I guess it's not going to be anywhere near as good. The special factor now doesn't exist anymore.
On the other hand the HP Reverb looks like it could have been the Rift successor and has the visual specifications to prove it. It's missing Insight and the Touch controllers, the Oculus eco system so it's a long way from a complete package which the Rift has always been.
It's just frustrating Oculus had the ball in there court and they've just decided to smash the racquet into the ground instead of playing a positive shot to advance VR. Don't get me wrong the Rift S is a great package at an even better price for new users but I think the VR experience needs to get better not cheaper and it just feels like a kick in the teath for existing customers.

kblood
Explorer
Yeah, I am also sad with the direction this has taken. I think the Rift S would be a great alternative to the Rift... but not a great replacement. Unless they add support for Rift sensor, its tracking will be a downgrade from the Rift.

I was pretty certain I wanted the Rift S and the Quest as soon as they got out. But once I realized how they are actually leaving the Rift S to be their only PC VR device... for 2 or 3 years? That is quite the sacrifice just to go all in on mobile VR. Makes me think I cannot justify supporting Oculus any longer, so I will probably jump ship as well. Its been great and I will keep using my Rift. But I will stop buying Oculus games and hardware. If they promise to add support for Rift sensors within the next 2 months, then I will probably get the Quest, but otherwise I will just go for alternatives. Like the HP Reverb or... maybe the Vive Cosmos, since the Vive Cosmos seems to be the best of all worlds. Inside out tracking with 4 sensors and it can be used both with mobile and PCs. Of course its tracking will be lacking like the Rift S, but it will at least have substantially better displays and features, and I will probably add Knuckles controllers to it, to have full tracking again. Then when eye tracking is possible to add, it will be like a true 2nd gen VR headset, without having to wait for 2021.

zocky
Explorer
I think it's enough! USB, software and connection problems. And this totally overloaded home version with a direct line to Facebook! No thanks.
P.S The Rift S glasses are a bad joke!

ShocksVR
Superstar

rVRcloset said:

Not until they at least give us the screen and rez of the Quest, and I also wan't headphones included in my next HMD as well.

You're getting slightly lower screen resolution for greatly reduced Screen Door Effect with the LCDs.

There's a reason many of the newer VR headsets are transitioning to LCD RGB screens (HP Reverb, Valve HMD, Cosmos?), it's because of greater clarity.

For me, the true negatives are
1. Lack of Manual IPD switch
2. Lack of Headphones (it needs to be stated the Rift-S does have sound tubes, which reviewers state are good, but not great)

And Oculus has already hinted they will now create an addon headphones accessory for Rift-S.

As for the IPD, I use the GO and I can use it just fine (for hours).  My IPD is 69mm.  And the Rift-S will be even better, as the Rift-S uses software based IPD setting that you can change, whereas the GO is a static IPD.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Actually I just remembered this morning. 6 months ago my rift earpiece snapped. Electronics are fine but I had to glue it. No way I will get what I want for the rift with that damage so looks like back to plan A.
Sticking with the rift till it either breaks or till some other package I want comes out.
Oh well 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I'm happy for new Rifters - it's a great deal for them but just not that much of an improvement (i think) for those with a Rift.

They've definitely done a Vive here, which is quite amusing.  I won't go digging up any posts from the Vive Pro threads though...
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

inovator
Consultant
I hope it launches soon. My money is burning a hole in my pocket.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

I'm happy for new Rifters - it's a great deal for them but just not that much of an improvement (i think) for those with a Rift.

They've definitely done a Vive here, which is quite amusing.  I won't go digging up any posts from the Vive Pro threads though...

I agree there is a whiff of vivepro about it BUT that said in other ways not so much...  But the important thing is unlike vive pro this is the same cost (give or take) as the hmd it replaces

Rift S totally replaces rift CV1 where as vive pro was sold as a premium device
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

rVRcloset said:

Not until they at least give us the screen and rez of the Quest, and I also wan't headphones included in my next HMD as well.

You're getting slightly lower screen resolution for greatly reduced Screen Door Effect with the LCDs.

There's a reason many of the newer VR headsets are transitioning to LCD RGB screens (HP Reverb, Valve HMD, Cosmos?), it's because of greater clarity.

For me, the true negatives are
1. Lack of Manual IPD switch
2. Lack of Headphones (it needs to be stated the Rift-S does have sound tubes, which reviewers state are good, but not great)

And Oculus has already hinted they will now create an addon headphones accessory for Rift-S.

As for the IPD, I use the GO and I can use it just fine (for hours).  My IPD is 69mm.  And the Rift-S will be even better, as the Rift-S uses software based IPD setting that you can change, whereas the GO is a static IPD.

Thanks for the points on the LCD screen and that optional headphone accessories might come!
Guess I neet to read up and hear / see more about LCD HMD's then. 
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S