cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

ShocksVR
Superstar

RedRizla said:

@DaftnDirect - Yes, I think there's a lot of people just saying they will get a HP Reverb, but like me had forgotten that a higher a resolution also means needing a better Graphics Card. Yes a Geforce 1080 will work on a HP Reverb, but I'm sure it isn't going to be a great experience. I think a Geforce 1080 will run great on a Rift -S and given that is the card most gamers have right now, then I'm sure the Rift -S will sell very well. I hope it does to keep the VR dream alive for years to come. I'd hate to think these companies don't sell enough headsets and just decide to shelve PC-VR altogether for that reason.

HP has stated the GTX 1080 is the MINIMUM.  You know you're gonna need something better to play those games.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

ShineHunter
Protege

Just watched today's F.Reality livestream discussing Rift-S vs Reverb.

Most of the points they were making are points that have been made several times in the numerous threads here. You're going to need a 2080ti to run the Reverb, I'd assumed that but there was some talk of needing something less, less won't be good enough for most games, so if you don't have one allow for that cost. If you're worried about inside-out tracking with the 2 cameras, you'll also have to buy a Vive so you can run the Reverb with Lightning sensors. The controllers are uncomfortable and burn through batteries fast and you'll have to rely on Revive for Oculus games.

Oculus Quest is 1600p and can run on a out dated mobile chip so yes this you need this to run this is BS. All depends on the games. 

Most of the points they were making are points that have been made several times in the numerous threads here. You're going to need a 2080ti to run the Reverb, I'd assumed that but there was some talk of needing something less, less won't be good enough for most games, so if you don't have one allow for that cost. If you're worried about inside-out tracking with the 2 cameras, you'll also have to buy a Vive so you can run the Reverb with Lightning sensors. The controllers are uncomfortable and burn through batteries fast and you'll have to rely on Revive for Oculus games.

Oculus Quest is 1600p and can run on a out dated mobile chip so yes this you need this to run this is BS. All depends on the games.

Totally agree. We know the games that will be running on a Reverb as we run them now, so GPU estimates for Reverb I think are pretty accurate. Quest games will be graphically less complex because they'll have to be. They'll also take up less memory because they'll have to.

I think when Oculus say Quest will give a Rift-like experience, we need to remember that they mean Rift-like with a LOT of optimisation by games devs.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

@DaftnDirect - Yes, I think there's a lot of people just saying they will get a HP Reverb, but like me had forgotten that a higher a resolution also means needing a better Graphics Card. Yes a Geforce 1080 will work on a HP Reverb, but I'm sure it isn't going to be a great experience. I think a Geforce 1080 will run great on a Rift -S and given that is the card most gamers have right now, then I'm sure the Rift -S will sell very well. I hope it does to keep the VR dream alive for years to come. I'd hate to think these companies don't sell enough headsets and just decide to shelve PC-VR altogether for that reason.

HP has stated the GTX 1080 is the MINIMUM.  You know you're gonna need something better to play those games.

Yea I'm hoping we get some actual benchmarks. I have money set aside for an Ampere upgrade already but Nvidia is in cruise control since AMD is no threat. With my Odyssey+, I run it normally at 2015x2520 with a 1080 and I can play everything except fallout 4 at that setting. I'm hoping I can run the HP at native until next gen cards release or even downsample a bit. At 2160x2160 everything is going to be super sharp already. Hopefully we get some early reviews.

I'm hoping for further nvidia releases along the lines of their 1660ti. Something with the non-raytracing performance of a 2080ti. So maybe a 1680ti ? The problem for nvidia is that such a card would probably put the breaks on RTX sales so they'd have to decide what's more important... overall sales or continuing to push ray-tracing.

pyroth309
Visionary

I'm hoping for further nvidia releases along the lines of their 1660ti. Something with the non-raytracing performance of a 2080ti. So maybe a 1680ti ? The problem for nvidia is that such a card would probably put the breaks on RTX sales so they'd have to decide what's more important... overall sales or continuing to push ray-tracing.

Yea, that might be a doable upgrade for me. The Raytracing tech is why the RTX cards were outrageous and until VR starts using it, I don't really care that much about it. I should also mention that, I can't run ultra in every game with those resolution settings on my odyssey. I just leave it at 200% and reduce some graphical settings when I need more performance. I prefer the clarity. Seeking Dawn I run on medium for example. With the way the Odyssey diffuser works, moving off the 200% supersample target results in more blur for me so I tailor the games around that. The average game though I usually run high with no problem. Fallout 4 VR is a monster and I gotta free up some performance when I play it.

pyroth309
Visionary
Speaking of performance, small detour here, the Rift really needs something like FPSVR. It is sooo easy to tweak games with that application. Look down at your wrist and all of your performance metrics are there....and then with OpenVR advanced settings you can change them on the fly and see the performance changes realtime. I hope Oculus adds something like that in their software natively.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Oculus Quest may have 1600p screens, but it only renders a 2560x1280 image and upscales it to the displays.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

ShineHunter
Protege

nalex66 said:

Oculus Quest may have 1600p screens, but it only renders a 2560x1280 image and upscales it to the displays.

I didn't know this. However still the same answer. Quest can run 2560x1280 then upscale it to 1600p with just a out dated 435 mobile CPU. The Rift S could of had 2k per eye screens and If your system isn't cutting it then just lower the quality settings plus SS. It should still look good and be able to run it. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I didn't know this. However still the same answer. Quest can run 2560x1280 then upscale it to 1600p with just a out dated 435 mobile CPU. The Rift S could of had 2k per eye screens and If your system isn't cutting it then just lower the quality settings plus SS. It should still look good and be able to run it. 

Two screens at 2k per eye and at 80Hz? That would require something better then a Geforce 1080 for games with good graphics. Unless off-course you use ASW at 45 FPS, but who wants a crappy 45 FPS? They have made the Rift-S, so that you get a great experience with a Geforce 1080 and don't need a highend graphics card. That makes total sense if they want to sell to the masses and not to just people with a Geforce 2080Ti.