cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend your Oculus Products to others?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
After 3 years of mainstream VR and two leading HMD's on the market (Rift, GO), as we march towards the release of Quest I am curious as to how many of us would actually recommend an Oculus product to someone else.
65 REPLIES 65

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Greyman said:

That's possibly true if your current Rift is out of warranty, but if you still have a live warranty and your headset packs up, then i'm fairly sure that the onus would be on the supplier to provide a replacement, an equivalent or, perhaps less likely, a refund.   

As the Rift S is effectively being released as a straight replacement for the Rift, then that should mean a faulty Rift would be replaced with a Rift S, if no replacement Rifts are available.

As far as i understand it, countries in the EU get a two-year warranty period whilst most of the rest of the world gets just 12 months. 

What happens to existing warranties for UK-owned Rifts after Mar 29th is anyone's guess.  🙂

That is a interesting point, what do they do with present CV1's in the UK/EU that are still under that 2 year warrenty if they are no longer producing the cv1 or parts for it...........i mean personally my warrenty is up at the end of this July so i doubt i will have to deal with that issue, but anyone who bought a CV1 this year in the UK/EU has a warrenty right up until 2021, so how hard will it be to get new CV1 parts for repairs if Oculus are not manufacturing them, and a straight swap might not be on the cards anyway because consumers of the original CV1 paid for outside in tracking with external sensors and built in earphones, so the S is not for like replacment.........a very interesting dilemma when and if it rears its head.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I know of five systems that friends have bought because I introduced them to my 360 roomscale.
WAAAGH!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

Greyman said:

That's possibly true if your current Rift is out of warranty, but if you still have a live warranty and your headset packs up, then i'm fairly sure that the onus would be on the supplier to provide a replacement, an equivalent or, perhaps less likely, a refund.   

As the Rift S is effectively being released as a straight replacement for the Rift, then that should mean a faulty Rift would be replaced with a Rift S, if no replacement Rifts are available.

As far as i understand it, countries in the EU get a two-year warranty period whilst most of the rest of the world gets just 12 months. 

What happens to existing warranties for UK-owned Rifts after Mar 29th is anyone's guess.  🙂

That is a interesting point, what do they do with present CV1's in the UK/EU that are still under that 2 year warrenty if they are no longer producing the cv1 or parts for it...........i mean personally my warrenty is up at the end of this July so i doubt i will have to deal with that issue, but anyone who bought a CV1 this year in the UK/EU has a warrenty right up until 2021, so how hard will it be to get new CV1 parts for repairs if Oculus are not manufacturing them, and a straight swap might not be on the cards anyway because consumers of the original CV1 paid for outside in tracking with external sensors and built in earphones, so the S is not for like replacment.........a very interesting dilemma when and if it rears its head.

I’m sure they’ve accounted for a stock of replacement parts and refurbished headsets to cover their warranty obligation.

If those run out, they would have no legal problems providing a Rift S as an equivalent replacement for a CV1. Whether the customer agrees or not, Oculus can legitimately declare that the S is a fair swap—it performs the same function as a CV1, runs on the same PC hardware, and supports the same software. The differences are minor and subjective. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^^I am going to box my CV1 back into its box and store it away nice and safe because this thing is going to be worth gold in a year or two for those who just won't give up constillation tracking, sitting on a gold mine with the CV1. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

ShocksVR
Superstar

kobs57 said:

From what I heard and seen from the videos (at the time no rift S has hit the market) I'm saddened to see that they made the Rift S to follow the standard they have set for the regular Rift, It would've been nice if they made it (without getting rid of the regular Rift) for top of the line machines cause many of us built our computers specially for VR and surpassed their recommended standard or could be made even better (faster processors, better video cards, more or better RAM etc.  

The Rift CV1 had issues
1. High failure rate of right headphone (due to failing ribbon cable)
2. Not eye glasses friendly
3. Not friendly with laptops (incompatible with nvidia Optimus, Rift requires a direct HDMI to GPU connection)
4. USB Bandwidth issues with 3 or more sensors
5. Messing and difficult room-scale setup
6. Comfort complaints

While we might not like this current Rift-S, it was also incompetent of Oculus to keep manufacturing the Rift CV1 without ANY revisions for those 3 years (this Rift-S should have been done last year). To continue offering the flawed CV1 while releasing another Rift would have been malicious conduct from my perspective (Oculus is aware of the flaws of CV1)

I wish it was an upgrade for all of us, but I understand why they at the minimum did a refresh of the existing Rift.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
You have a few points for me anyways cause I had to "remove" the Oculus headphones and use my own, I wear glasses but I can do without, I also had to buy a quad bus USB card, Aaaand bought a face replacement thingy from VR cover cause the effin foam couldn't be cleaned properly and I'm a little bacteria paranoid lol
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Digikid1
Consultant

I am going to have to disagree with you there.  I wear glasses in the Rift with no problem whatsoever.  So do many of my customers and friends.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

A bit open ended huh? LOL

I guess to expand this more - I would NOT recommend the CV1 atm until after the Quest release to new users or users that dont have a PC atm to rush out to get one for the CV1.

I would recommend a Oculus product if:
1) Its your first VR product
2) You want to save money compare to what is out there
3) Want a simple setup and play experience

I would not recommend Oculus if:
1) You are looking for edge case better experience in a area (either it be FOV, resolution, or super high end. There are better HMD out there in terms of one area or another)
2) Dont mind paying higher prices for edge case use
3) if your name was Atmos

To  update mine:
1) I would still recommend the Oculus products even with the Rift S going in some weird direction still. Looking at what is coming out from GDC - it still looks like Oculus is going to be a step up from what is out there for anyone looking into getting into VR.
2) Looks like Oculus will have many options covered for anyone looking into a target experience. From just media to light gaming to full easy to setup pc games.
3) Quest looks like it'll be a leap over WMR even though it still has some of the same limitations as current WMR headsets and their tracking, but yet in a mobile format.
4) Rift S looks to be a good product for anyone new looking into getting into PCVR. It does come with better lenses, easy to setup automatic 360 headset room tracking, supports 180 controller tracking, and a RGB vs Pentile.I hear it does feel better on the head, but no one has had it a long enough time to really make sure this is going to be a thing for longer time use and what happens when you start getting into the real action yet.

1) If you got a CV 1 one is the last 6 months - it doesn't look like the Rift S is an update I would rush out to get.
2) Lack of communication from Oculus might scare some people into what the CV2 might come out to be after seeing what the Rift S did.
3) Another delay in CV2 - I think they might lose some more people as they look at other headsets out there and with no information on when a CV2 might come out (other than rumors) - some might take the risk and try another product.

More or less, yes, but if they keep going down the path of the Rift S - that might change in the future.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Digikid1 said:

I am going to have to disagree with you there.  I wear glasses in the Rift with no problem whatsoever.  So do many of my customers and friends.

I do too; it's doable but a more difficult process.
I usually wear contacts, but I also have small framed glasses. But many with thicker frames complain of the Oculus subreddit their glasses won't fit (thus, they choose to buy prescription lens inserts).

But comparing the Rift to Oculus GO?  I find the GO way more glasses friendly.  With Rift, I had to put the glasses in the headset first then put the headset on (which means my glasses were touching my Oculus lenses).
With GO you just put the headset on like you would even without glasses.

From the on hands vids of the Rift-S, Oculus went several steps further and made wearing eye glasses a seamless process with the Rift-S

1. it's foam interface has much more available room for eye glasses, like the Oculus GO. Just put the headset on
2. there's an Eye Relief setting [you can move the screen closer or further away from your eyes]).

It's one of the reasons I plan on upgrading to the Rift-S. Even the reviewer Mixed Reality TV purposely wore his eye glasses to see how the new Rift would accommodate them (as it was a common complaint).
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think we'll have some feedback from Abrash at OC6 about when we can expect the CV2 but I'm pretty sure it'll be 2022. After the Rift S tick we can expect the CV2 to be a tock I think with many of the features that the Half Dome prototype has. I still think that 2022 is going to be too early to have the varifocal feature though, we'll see that added with the tick in 2025.