New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Anyone know why Rift S has Lenovo design and not Quest/Rift design?

markhollismarkhollis Posts: 19
NerveGear

My perplexity is the fact that rift s is "newer" in the production than quest but they use the lenovo/halo system (that on samsung odyssey+ was causing me a big red mark on the front)

So why this choice?

halo system is less comfortable, and more heavy. Another thing not so important is that with halo system it's not possible for example watch a video or a movie in the bed with the head on the pillow, or watch/play with the head resting on the chair due to the plastic of the halo system

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,041 Valuable Player
    Agreed. The older strap system is far better. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,067 Valuable Player
    I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios. Many people trying the rift s claim it is more comfortable than CV1
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 452
    Trinity
    It's the PSVR design.
    Go lookup why Oculus partnered specifically with Lenovo and you'll have your answer.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,041 Valuable Player
    It's the PSVR design.
    Go lookup why Oculus partnered specifically with Lenovo and you'll have your answer.
    That’s pretty obvious but it doesn’t mean that it’s better. The strap design is best. It allows for more ventilation and is far more secure. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,685 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios. Many people trying the rift s claim it is more comfortable than CV1

This is the reason and I much prefer the halo myself rather then having something grabbing my face like a facehugger from the Alien movies. I had to purchase VR PV cover from VR Cover before I could even stand to wear the current CV1 for more then 15 mins. I tried a friends PS -VR and it's super comfy, I used it for a couple of hours and had no problems with comfort.

The Vive is also going to go with the Halo on their next headset.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,544 Volunteer Moderator
    Samsung did GearVR (and supplied note3 screens for the DK20 and other stuff), Xiaomi did the Go and Lenovo did the Rift-S. But who helped Oculus with Quest? Was it another Xiaomi?

RedRizla said:
    The Vive is also going to go with the Halo on their next headset.
    Vive with halo? All I can imagine for that is someone wearing the ring of a giant vive wand. :)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    I much prefer the rift ski mask design...once I put on VR covers. Main reason being I can shake my head back and forth and look around fast and the thing does'nt move. The halo design shakes and honestly feels heavier on me on both my odyssey and PSVR. I do not prefer either one to the Rift. I use the leather cover and I don't even get rift face. 

When I first got the rift I used it Stock for a couple of months. I remember when I was in middle of a several hour Rift session and someone knocked on my Door. I answer it and it was a policeman asking about an incident that happend with my neighbors. He kept staring at me with a curious and confused look like wtf is this guy doing. I didn't understand. After he left, I went into the restroom and turned around to the mirror and I had the worst Rift Face you ever seen. Way worse than that guy a few posts above. Cop was probably trying to figure out what the hell could possibly cause that Lol. 
    I'm fine with the CV1 and the memory foam PV leather cover from VR cover, but I want a headset to be comfortable from the get go. I don't want to have to rely on VR Cover, otherwise I can't wear my headset until they design something. If Oculus used both materials as an option then I wouldn't mind the CV1 design.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,883 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 25
    Digikid1 said:
    A bit off-topic from the head strap choice, but that was a good read, and highlights my own main concern about the Rift S.

On topic, I personally haven’t tried a halo strap HMD, but user testimonials about the Rift S version have been positive so far, so I’d be willing to give it a chance. The CV1 strap is a bit too tight for perfect comfort on my big head (although better with the thin leather VRcover), so maybe this would be an improvement. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited March 25
    Digikid1 said:

The weird thing on CV1 when I try to set IPD is that it's like looking through binoculars. No mater how hard I try to get rid of that faint cross over line in the middle of the screen I can't. My IPD is 65 but does anyone else get this cross over curved line in the middle of the screen? It drives me mad sometimes, but other times I can forget it's there.
    nalex66 said:
    Digikid1 said:
    A bit off-topic from the head strap choice, but that was a good read, and highlights my own main concern about the Rift S.

On topic, I personally haven’t tried a halo strap HMD, but user testimonials about the Rift S version have been positive so far, so I’d be willing to give it a chance. The CV1 strap is a bit too tight for perfect comfort on my big head (although better with the thin leather VRcover), so maybe this would be an improvement. 
    My concerns about the halo design may be alleviated in the Rift-S. Won't know unless I try one for myself. It does have an extra strap across the top that my two halos don't, so that would likely provide a more even weight distribution. May actually feel lighter than my Rift does, who knows. 
    RedRizla said:
    Digikid1 said:

The weird thing on CV1 when I try to set IPD is that it's like looking through binoculars. No mater how hard I try to get rid of that faint cross over line in the middle of the screen I can't. My IPD is 65 but does anyone else get this cross over curved line in the middle of the screen? It drives me mad sometimes, but other times I can forget it's there.
    Nope it's there for me too. I learned not to look at it lol. 
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,528 Valuable Player
    edited March 25
    The new strap is something I am fine with. From a visually look it seems like it does make the HMD look heavier than the CV1. From a knowledge stand point - it should help with longer sessions and bit more comfortable while providing less face pressure. The only think I don't like about it (was hoping with this design - but after the interview) that it had a hing with it. That way you could flip it up and down for in and out VR access super fast.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,232
    Wintermute
    I've just realized something...something quite concerning, is the Rift S going to fit and push towards our faces like the normal Rift? It's just I tried my cousins PSVR and it was quite floppy and didn't sit on your face, it was quite lose with a large gap below. 

I like the way my Rift is attached to my face quite tight. If this is the case I don't think I will like that design either 
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    Maybe it was a fast track to get something out on the market!

To bad they didn’t use the Quest design / just ripping out the GPU/CPU/Battery and adding an external connector/cable & logic!(Simplified explanation)

Reusing the base HMD parts and screens/cameras in the Quest to lower the costs! Or maybe that 5’th camera is needed.....

Wanted to pay for an premium (pro) upgrade for the Rift, but ”Rift S” really looks kind a plastic!

Will go for Quest unless there will be a premium feeling with the Rift S, then maybe booth of them will!

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I said no head strap mother*#ker!!!!