cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know why Rift S has Lenovo design and not Quest/Rift design?

markhollis
Expert Protege

My
perplexity is the fact that rift s is "newer" in the production than
quest but they use the lenovo/halo system (that on samsung odyssey+ was
causing me a big red mark on the front)

So why this choice?

halo
system is less comfortable, and more heavy. Another thing not so
important is that with halo system it's not possible for example watch a
video or a movie in the bed with the head on the pillow, or watch/play
with the head resting on the chair due to the plastic of the halo system

21 REPLIES 21

I suspect we may becoming unpopular with the follically challenged at this point.

pyroth309
Visionary
I much prefer the rift ski mask design...once I put on VR covers. Main reason being I can shake my head back and forth and look around fast and the thing does'nt move. The halo design shakes and honestly feels heavier on me on both my odyssey and PSVR. I do not prefer either one to the Rift. I use the leather cover and I don't even get rift face. 

When I first got the rift I used it Stock for a couple of months. I remember when I was in middle of a several hour Rift session and someone knocked on my Door. I answer it and it was a policeman asking about an incident that happend with my neighbors. He kept staring at me with a curious and confused look like wtf is this guy doing. I didn't understand. After he left, I went into the restroom and turned around to the mirror and I had the worst Rift Face you ever seen. Way worse than that guy a few posts above. Cop was probably trying to figure out what the hell could possibly cause that Lol. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm fine with the CV1 and the memory foam PV leather cover from VR cover, but I want a headset to be comfortable from the get go. I don't want to have to rely on VR Cover, otherwise I can't wear my headset until they design something. If Oculus used both materials as an option then I wouldn't mind the CV1 design.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

A bit off-topic from the head strap choice, but that was a good read, and highlights my own main concern about the Rift S.

On topic, I personally haven’t tried a halo strap HMD, but user testimonials about the Rift S version have been positive so far, so I’d be willing to give it a chance. The CV1 strap is a bit too tight for perfect comfort on my big head (although better with the thin leather VRcover), so maybe this would be an improvement. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Digikid1 said:

The weird thing on CV1 when I try to set IPD is that it's like looking through binoculars. No mater how hard I try to get rid of that faint cross over line in the middle of the screen I can't. My IPD is 65 but does anyone else get this cross over curved line in the middle of the screen? It drives me mad sometimes, but other times I can forget it's there.

pyroth309
Visionary

nalex66 said:

Digikid1 said:

A bit off-topic from the head strap choice, but that was a good read, and highlights my own main concern about the Rift S.

On topic, I personally haven’t tried a halo strap HMD, but user testimonials about the Rift S version have been positive so far, so I’d be willing to give it a chance. The CV1 strap is a bit too tight for perfect comfort on my big head (although better with the thin leather VRcover), so maybe this would be an improvement. 

My concerns about the halo design may be alleviated in the Rift-S. Won't know unless I try one for myself. It does have an extra strap across the top that my two halos don't, so that would likely provide a more even weight distribution. May actually feel lighter than my Rift does, who knows. 

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

Digikid1 said:

The weird thing on CV1 when I try to set IPD is that it's like looking through binoculars. No mater how hard I try to get rid of that faint cross over line in the middle of the screen I can't. My IPD is 65 but does anyone else get this cross over curved line in the middle of the screen? It drives me mad sometimes, but other times I can forget it's there.

Nope it's there for me too. I learned not to look at it lol. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The new strap is something I am fine with. From a visually look it seems like it does make the HMD look heavier than the CV1. From a knowledge stand point - it should help with longer sessions and bit more comfortable while providing less face pressure. The only think I don't like about it (was hoping with this design - but after the interview) that it had a hing with it. That way you could flip it up and down for in and out VR access super fast.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've just realized something...something quite concerning, is the Rift S going to fit and push towards our faces like the normal Rift? It's just I tried my cousins PSVR and it was quite floppy and didn't sit on your face, it was quite lose with a large gap below. 

I like the way my Rift is attached to my face quite tight. If this is the case I don't think I will like that design either 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!