Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Now that a new week is starting, and GDC is behind us while Rift-S is ahead of us, I believe that one thing was made very very very clear...

No one properly braced themselves. At least not proper braced.

pyroth309
Visionary

Digikid1 said:

Excellent article on the Rift S.....and right on point as well. 

http://palmerluckey.com/i-cant-use-rift-s-and-neither-can-you/

That was a great read and valid point, especially about people investing in software in the Oculus Ecosystem and are no longer supported. Hmm, I might have to box up my CV1, maybe it will be worth some money after all!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rift S - Iribe must have been well aware of what the Rift S was going to be when he decided to leave Oculus.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
I did follow a thread about that subject on Reddit - some potentially important answers:" [...] you misunderstood what Nate said. He specifically said that Rift S won't support external sensors, but Oculus would continue to support the OG Rift external sensor

setup."https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3r5vy/nate_mitchell_said_they_will_support_existing/My hopes aren't high, sadly...  

Well I'm still keeping them up because they are attached to my wall using trunking and are screwed in. I can't be arsed to take all that down and make a mess of my walls. I'll just keep CV1 as a back up to my Rift -S.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ll need to hear some more user reviews to get an idea of whether the lack of physical IPD adjustment will make the Rift S unusable for me. I know there was a video from someone (365VR?) who said that it was fine for them with a high IPD, but it was an hour-and-a-half of talking that I wasn’t willing to sit through to hear it first hand. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

I’ll need to hear some more user reviews to get an idea of whether the lack of physical IPD adjustment will make the Rift S unusable for me. I know there was a video from someone (365VR?) who said that it was fine for them with a high IPD, but it was an hour-and-a-half of talking that I wasn’t willing to sit through to hear it first hand. 

YI can't remember who said what now - one reviewer said that it made it look/feel a bit too narrow while 365VR said it felt fine - but was at the edge of their comfort zone.

Wildt
Consultant
Even though I'm still pro-constellation, this made me chuckle

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

inovator
Consultant
Anybody think with talk of playing any game through a quest through your computer by streaming to play can cause it to be a waste to buy the quest and rift s? I think it's called typecast 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:
I did follow a thread about that subject on Reddit - some potentially important answers:" [...] you misunderstood what Nate said. He specifically said that Rift S won't support external sensors, but Oculus would continue to support the OG Rift external sensor

setup."https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3r5vy/nate_mitchell_said_they_will_support_existing/My hopes aren't high, sadly...  

Well I'm still keeping them up because they are attached to my wall using trunking and are screwed in. I can't be arsed to take all that down and make a mess of my walls. I'll just keep CV1 as a back up to my Rift -S.

There has been some photos of sensors on Reddit making my skin crawl  😄

If this is the best some dudes can do, Oculus is really showing some mercy by giving them Rift-S. The Horror... the horror....

iigqf3l6kg2m.jpg
bcmjc264l1o4.jpg
75wte66rkbga.jpg
f9aeyvo0zo73.jpg
hh2jei8ul41o.jpg
xzrs2n0fyqia.jpg
bcqjms559e0j.jpg
i8cbgie3jyx0.jpg
92joev8c6vep.jpg

Maybe one or two of the sensor placements above weren't that bad - and I think someone at Oculus should have the courtesy to phone this guy and let him know his sensors aren't supported for future Rifts...  😐

44976b5aopbz.jpg
3d6b5i8idejb.jpg
zz2j3yx4n5az.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:
This is why the design of the Rift S is so much better than the design for the HTC Cosmos.

I wish we knew enough about the HTC Cosmos to make such a comparison! 

We know enough. We know that it's not using Lighthouse tracking because neither the headset or the controllers have light sensors. We know that it's using inside out tracking similar to the WVR headsets because the controllers have lights on them (I suspect that Oculus have a patent for using IR LEDs on a headset and controllers) and the headset has cameras on it. We also know that the tracking for the Vive Cosmos is going to be inferior to the Rift S because the Rift S has an extra camera.