cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deanmrd said:

snowdog said:

Deanmrd said:

It concerns me the most is the IPD, My IPD is 70 so I am only just able play on the rift,

Don't think I am willing to buy anymore games off oculus store as they can't be trusted to develop with all people in mind.

If anything happens to my head set I would have to switch and find a new vr driver losing all games I have purchased on the oculus store. 

Shame on you oculus. 

Someone on Reddit with a 72mm IPD tried the Rift S and didn't have any problems with it, so you might be okay.

Thanks for the info my IPD is infact 72 until I went to the optician's yesterday thought it was 70.

Off topic is the anyway to play rift games if you have a htc vive? 

Yup, you can use Revive to play Rift games on the Vive.

schmeltzer
Protege
Yes, I am disappointed. IPD of 74. CV1 was not ideal. Bought all my software on Oculus Store. That race to the bottom sure isn't working out for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am disappointed. IPD of 74. CV1 was not ideal. Bought all my software on Oculus Store. That race to the bottom sure isn't working out for me.

Yeah sad to see Oculus no longer being a leader in the PC-VR category.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Do all the people on these forums that know their IPD wear glasses? I was just wondering because I don't know my IPD but I don't wear glasses so maybe that's why. 

I currently own Oculus GO though and I don't feel any discomfort compared to my Rift which is also perfect but obviously has the IPD slider. So I'm guessing my IPD must be in the majority range of 65. Although I do have a big head! lol
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

pyroth309
Visionary

Do all the people on these forums that know their IPD wear glasses? I was just wondering because I don't know my IPD but I don't wear glasses so maybe that's why. 

I currently own Oculus GO though and I don't feel any discomfort compared to my Rift which is also perfect but obviously has the IPD slider. So I'm guessing my IPD must be in the majority range of 65. Although I do have a big head! lol

You can ballpark it with a ruler or stiff tape measure. https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic   Won't be as accurate as an eye test but good enough to have something to work from. Mine's 68ish. 

CrashFu
Consultant

dburne said:

Yeah sad to see Oculus no longer being a leader in the PC-VR category.

If your definition of "leader" is "making ultra-expensive devices that tech nerds wank off to the specs of, but which nobody ends up actually buying"   then sure, other companies definitely have them beat.  And I'm sure that "Race to Bankruptcy" is working out much better than the so-called "Race to the Bottom".

Personally I prefer Oculus' strategy of "Making good VR systems that the average person can actually afford, and ensuring those headsets have quality content available for them".

P.S.   Sorry to the people who fall outside of the Rift-S IPD range, though. That's one area Oculus shouldn't have made a trade-off on.  Hope you can find a good alternative device.. I hear Quest still has physical IPD sliders?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get yourself a mirror. Close one of your eyes and put the end of the ruler to the middle of your pupil. Open your other eye and you'll see the measurement where the middle of the other pupil is.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I know my IPD from the DK2 days. There was a process in the old software to determine your IPD within the headset, which then gave you a number that you could put into your user profile (the pre-CV1 software let you create multiple user profiles).

I've also confirmed it with the mirror-and-ruler method, and verified it against the CV1 adjustment process.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

CrashFu
Consultant
Y'all know I'm not a fan of Palmer Luckey, but he may have actually come up with a good idea:   Manufacture multiple models of Rift-S with differing IPD ranges.

Taken from an UploadVR article: https://uploadvr.com/palmer-luckey-rift-s/
So what would Luckey have preferred? He presented several possible alternatives but his favorite was offering different versions of Rift S tailored for different IPD sizes. “Rift S should have done this,” he said. “The logistical overhead of managing a handful of different SKUs with slightly different plastic pieces holding the lenses at slightly different distances would have allowed Rift S to keep costs low and expand the addressable market for VR without cutting out new and old customers alike.”

Seems like that'd do the trick, wouldn't it?  And you'd probably only need like, three separate models to really accomodate everyone;  the standard mid-range, a low-range, and a high-range.  Set the median point of the low-range headset at 60 ipd, and the high-range at 70, or something like that?

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

ShineHunter
Protege
Well it turns out the fanboys are not listening to those disappointed. Lets hope Oculus is.