cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Did you enjoy the movie? I really enjoyed it and would give it an 8/10. Did you watch "The House That Jack Built" yet?

Ok, gave it another check - I'll definitely order this in a few days, thanks - love the box - and Dillon, Thurman and especially Bruno Ganz (he played Hitler in Downfall as you may know).

Image result for house jack built blu-ray

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Finished the last 4K movie borrowed from a colleague tonight - I did not really like this one, it's probably 4/10 - especially because I could have played Shadow Legend instead, sigh 😉 

m7syctxd1szo.jpg
I did not feel any Ridley Scott magic in this movie - I believe Scott's name is on the front primarily to trick persons like me to watch this movie. Felt like old wine in a new cheap bottle, Ex Machina was head and shoulders above this. Morgan was directed by Ridley's son Luke, and Luke could have a great future with some more practice, but this movie - even in 4K with HDR - wouldn't be worth more than $5 to me. Well $0 right now, I don't think I'll ever watch it again 😉 No Dolby Atmos on this one either, but the sound was quite good. For this movie I don't think 4K is important - get the blu-ray instead (which has the same DTS-HD Master 7.1 audio). 

The movie was done in 2K and upscaled to 4K, the image quality is OK, but Fantastic Four 4K + HDR was a lot better - even though both movies are upscaled from 2K. FF + Morgan were interesting excursions in image quality due to both being fake 4K confirming that fake 4K movies may be quite different in quality. The Revenant was so much better (shot in real 4K). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Epona0000
Protege

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Or don't get Venom at all because it's pants 😛

Overord a 5/10 from me.

I just watched "The House That Jack Built". Quite a disturbing movie tbh. I'd rate it 7/10 for doing something different. Made "Silence of The Lambs" look like a comedy to me.

@RedRizla @RuneSR2 I loved Venom.. "Pile of bodies, pile of heads"... very organized.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Mailman arrived and I'm all set for the weekend, not the most intellectual movies though :blush: (House Jack Built pre-ordered, won't arrive over here before April 3rd)

986m1risaud5.jpg

Maybe silly to get Venom limited edition steelbook ($40 like Lone Echo, sigh), but I like the cover and to support the industry to some extend. Furthermore, while I may have been slightly wrong about VHS (and DVD and blu-ray :blush: ), I'm totally confident that semi-rare 4K movies will only gain in value and be worth a trillion in the year 2060! :smiley:

It does worry me that Samsung has given up on 4K movies, I better buy some more, double sigh...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsung-quits-4k-blu-ray-player-market/#4bcb60be1...

Right now 4K blu-rays may be way too expensive, but hard to forget once you start to notice the difference. I probably should just have sticked with 2K movies (upscaled to 4K), have saved a lot of money and never known what I'd miss. But that would be boring 😄

BTW, while Pineapple Express is an old movie, it should be particularly awesome in 4K:

"Stunning." Without having any previous experience with the movie, having neither seen it nor reviewed either of its previous Blu-ray releases, the immediate reaction to Sony's 2160p UHD/HDR Blu-ray is one of awe, awe at the image's robustness, stability, and even and endlessly attractive filmic veneer. Grain is constant and evenly distributed, gorgeously textured and a key in bringing a true cinematic flavor and experience to the home. Detailing underneath is nothing short of a revelation. Rogen's brown sports coat is particularly impressive, reveling fine stitch work, seams, and tiny flaws in every scene. His car interior, and Franco's character's home, are treasure troves of little details. Whether grime on the seatbelt, wear on the dashboard and steering wheel, or the definition with which tiny little trinkets in the home are revealed even as background details is amazing. Likewise, facial textures are precise and highly revealing even in medium shots. Very fine pores, facial hairs, and other skin textures are remarkably lifelike. 
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pineapple-Express-4K-Blu-ray/145675/

Who cares about the story in a movie if the 4K images are amazing?  B) (Then again Pineapple Express is quite funny - highly recommended!)

https://youtu.be/NvGsF61YGXg

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Do you have to watch the other Transformer Movies before watching Bumblebee? Anyone know?

Digikid1
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Do you have to watch the other Transformer Movies before watching Bumblebee? Anyone know?

No you don’t. Bumblebee is a prequel. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Digikid1 said:

RedRizla said:

So what order is it best to watch Transformers in?

Anonymous
Not applicable

They're robots in disguise!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
 😄 😄 😄

Digikid1
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Digikid1 said:

RedRizla said:

So what order is it best to watch Transformers in?

I would say in the order they were released....except waych Bumblebee first. 

All of the Transformers movies are great despite what others are saying.