Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I've said, we know this for a fact unless HTC have a bit of a panic and duct tape another camera on the top lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:
 All you need to do is be able to count to 5.

youtube.com/watch?v=RpA6TCWApfk

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:
And regarding the fact, and yes it IS a fact, that the Rift S tracking is better than the tracking on the Vive Cosmos it's quite plain to see WHY it's better. All you need to do is be able to count to 5. You don't even need to try the Cosmos to know this.

Again - interesting to hear your opinion. But as in the past I would rather focus on actual, but, hey thanks for sharing, I am sure we will be hearing a lot more of your views soon

Again, you don't seem to prefer actual when the speculation favors your preferences. But again, this topic is for both the actual and speculation. If you desire only the actual then this is likely not the best discussion to participate in.
B)

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Those images perfectly illustrate the horror of dealing with multiple sensors.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

I blame those dudes for deliberately sabotaging and destroying the future of my beloved sensors - those photos have been all over Reddit :#  😉  I'm sure the photos were posted by undercover WMR agents, and it worked  :'(   (Now where did I put my pills...  :D)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Yeah, almost as horrifying as dealing with owning multiple pairs of shoes.

wk6aad85h7hh.jpeg

Digikid1
Consultant

MowTin said:

They’re fine if you set them up properly and have the correct Startech card installed. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

It's arguably "more difficult" to set up multiple Computer Monitors than it is to set up multiple Rift sensors.

This idea that setting up 1-4 VR Sensors is soooo daunting that the Industry needs to turn itself inside-out (pun intended) is a bit hyperbolic considering all the things we do to synchronize existing tech in our daily lives: bluetooth in cars, Alexa, Google Home, Robot Vacuum Cleaners, etc.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

It's arguably "more difficult" to set up multiple Computer Monitors than it is to set up multiple Rift sensors.

This idea that setting up 1-4 VR Sensors is soooo daunting that the Industry needs to turn itself inside-out (pun intended) is a bit hyperbolic considering all the things we do to synchronize existing tech in our daily lives: bluetooth in cars, Alexa, Google Home, Robot Vacuum Cleaners, etc.

I never found Rift's CV1 setup daunting or hard but I did find it inconvenient when I first set it up. Having USB cables all over the place and having them take up 4 ports is a bit of nuisance, especially if you're using a room for multipurpose. Considering how much of a pain a lot of USB controllers can be with disconnects and errors and even incomptability with the Rift.(Though that's less of a problem with boards made today) having that problem multiplied 4 fold can be frustrating when it's partially working.

Then there's a lot of additional costs: 80 bucks or more to get a good USB expansion board if you need one. Up to 100 bucks for extension cabling for all the sensors and headset if you have a large room or are far from the PC. It's just an unnecessary annoyance and barrier especially for people using laptops which tend to have more issues and don't typically have many USB ports. Moving to a single cable off of the headset is just a lot better for the average use case. 1 USB extension cable needed, 1 HDMI.. done! And you dont' have to worry about anyone knocking your sensors around. 

I do understand it sucks for people who only care about scores/tracking as you're giving up a very important piece of that puzzle.. IE true 360 tracking. But the average person in VR are just in it for the experiences and to be wow'd by VR. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
I never found Rift's CV1 setup daunting or hard but I did find it inconvenient when I first set it up.

Inconvenient in the way that it can be annoying to have to buy lots of hangers in order to hang up all your shirts and pants. I mean, we're talking luxury management here.

Having USB cables all over the place

Why are your USB cables all over the place? There is only one cable per sensor, and most rooms in homes are square shaped. Just follow the lines?

and having them take up 4 ports is a
bit of nuisance

I have a surround sound system that has far more inputs/outputs than an Oculus Ready PC with 4 readily available ports.  I wouldn't describe it as a nuisance. I describe it as a luxury that I invested in.

On a personal note,

I spent over 10 years playing in Heavy Metal Bands. I used to have to carry around my guitar, amp, head, and special effects pedals everywhere all the time. To and from practice, to and from live performances. We had to set up and break down our own gear. I never made any money out of it, but it was a great feeling playing music in a tight group. When I read people complain about "Virtual Reality cables," not only am I incapable of sympathizing, but I can't help but wonder how that person would handle a real crisis in life. That's not directed at you, just an overall sentiment I have.

Considering how much of a pain a lot of USB controllers can be with
disconnects and errors and even incomptability with the Rift.(Though
that's less of a problem with boards made today) having that problem
multiplied 4 fold can be frustrating when it's partially working.

If someone isn't enjoying the process of "solutioning" these issues, then they are probably in the wrong hobby. I spent over 100 hours just trying to get the right "sound" on my guitar. I used to run our instruments through my Desktop (Win XP days) and had all sorts of hardware/software combinations to get some fancy stuff going. Sorry, but I just can't sympathize with anything you are describing. It appears as if there's a generation of consumers that seem allergic to the concept of "figuring things out." Again, not direct at you, just an overall sentiment.

Cheers, buddy!