cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Pet Project - VR London

I've gone back to trying my hand at 3ds max after some time with Blender (thanks to @LZoltowski for steering me away from the dark side!). So if anyone's interested, this is what I'm working on...

I haven't posted this in the developer section cos it's so far away from being an app it's not funny. Plus I don't want to give away what I have planned other than it's VR London! and I still have to get familiar with Unreal once the modeling's finished, this could take some time.

Anyway, here's some images so far:

2i0k8y6wh62x.jpg

This the terrain covering 3km x 3km (9 x 1km OS grid squares) around the centre of London... Charing Cross.

ajbo082wywvr.jpg

The terrain is from the Ordinance Survey 50m terrain data which unlike other data is true land data ignoring buildings and foliage.

ep9i29a2nko4.jpg

Here, all buildings have been placed. These are basic outlines but are accurate OS building data.

hakx7seay8fc.jpg

Now the hard work, modelling the major landmarks from scratch, above is Westminster bridge, railings and ornamental lighting to be added.

vm28i0jyf880.jpg

...and the London Eye main structure, capsules and spokes to do.

35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ooh look, Big Ben!!!

I've been looking for someone to do me for ages and @vannagirl is having none of it. 😄

sford52
Heroic Explorer
@DaftnDirect - very cool!  Will we see a TARDIS fade in somewhere?
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

sford52 said:

@DaftnDirect - very cool!  Will we see a TARDIS fade in somewhere?

Maybe in the House of Lords.... Time Lords

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Is there any way you can open source it and get a bunch of people collaborating together working on different parts of the city? Maybe we can create our own VR open world games through crowd open source programming. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

MowTin said:

Is there any way you can open source it and get a bunch of people collaborating together working on different parts of the city? Maybe we can create our own VR open world games through crowd open source programming. 

That would be ideal MowTin, it's going to take me a long time working solo. I'm not sure how to go about doing that except to ask here if anyone would be interested in getting involved.

Setting up a website for the project would be the way to go i guess but that kind of thing costs money and time in itself. I'm thinking of putting the individual models up for sale on one of the commercial sites created for that purpose. Undercut the price of similarly detailed models, maybe get enough to fund a website.

I may never finish this project but lockdown's helping
e3ynzjvgwlj3.jpg