cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus at GDC Discussion/News and Announcements Megathread

LZoltowski
Champion

Hello folks, ahead of the GDC reveals and Oculus news I thought it would be nice to have one space where we can discuss the news rather than a million threads. What are you hoping for? What are you most excited about?

Keep an eye out on Oculus twitter and the official blog, will try and update here also:

GDC starts this week at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and we. are. pumped. Game devs and gamers alike will get hands-on with Oculus Quest, we’ll share some brand-new Rift demos, and we may just have an announcement or two up our sleeves...

RIFT S COMING IN SPRING 2019!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oculus-rift-s-our-new-pc-vr-headset-launching-spring-2019/

#QuestCountdown 

Oculus will be announcing exciting news through the week, so stay tuned!

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-at-gdc-2019-oculus-quest-rift-demos-and-more/

Update:
https://twitter.com/hbarra/status/1107537148008255488

Update: Monday:
Beat Sabre Announced for Oculus Quest:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/freestyle-beat-saber-joins-the-oculus-quest-launch-lineup/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
79 REPLIES 79

Digikid1
Consultant

It is one of my pet hates too. Up there with this modern speak where "sick" is somehow good

Yeah I am with you there.  Today's gen just don't know how to speak proper English.

Richooal
Consultant
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not (I stopped trying to keep up after the first 40 pages of post GDC news)
Anyway, interesting comment from JC about possible tethering on the Quest .............

w4mfn5orr3t0.jpg
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

I could care less about their 'involvement within the community'. 

...or, are you using it correctly...?  I can't tell lol

Best be safe - never say "I could care less"    B)

It is one of my pet hates too. Up there with this modern speak where "sick" is somehow good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

My point was their involvement in the community bears no weight on their view as a paying customer. Just because someone doesn't post in the forums, doesn't mean their views aren't valid.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yep, post count generally shouldn't be a judge of views.

I've made only a couple of posts in over 10 years on the SFML forums (open source 2d c++ game engine), but I've been using SFML that whole time for personal projects and teaching it to games programming students. I know it inside and out. I just never embedded myself in their forum. (Not sure why)

Then there's people who were on here who had lots of posts but their views were, umm, less than worthy. 🙂

Let's not jump to conclusions.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

CrashFu
Consultant
No, but someone who has never bothered to participate in our community before now and then suddenly shows up just to make a scene? That looks like a troll to me.   And when it's a number of people like that, saying the exact same things as each other?  Well that makes it look like an organized attempt by the anti-Oculus camp to manipulate the public opinion,  like they did years ago trying to get people to jump ship to the Vive.

At best, I'd think they're just people who have been out of touch with the VR community / industry for a long time, now making knee-jerk reactions to developments they don't fully understand.  Either way, I'd rather be paranoid than assume honest intentions from every faceless rando who shows up and starts Oculus-bashing. 
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good grief. Get a grip. There's roughly 1,000,000 Rifts out there...you'd be lucky to have maybe 10% of those owners on this forum. There's people who never post in their lives, but only visit to get the info they need for whatever problem they face. That doesn't make them trolls if and when they voice their opinion. Thinking they are is just arrogant and dismissive.

Anonymous
Not applicable
1million is not a lot globally is it. I don't see Oculus selling 1,000,000,000 especially as probably half of the Rift Users will either stay OR get the Rift S OR move to another maker! What a pipedream 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAC_MAN86 said:

1million is not a lot globally is it. I don't see Oculus selling 1,000,000,000 especially as probably half of the Rift Users will either stay OR get the Rift S OR move to another maker! What a pipedream 😮

9a2ndl33xzuo.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

9a2ndl33xzuo.png

Precisely...1000 x a million is not possible when they are merely doubling each year. Like I say consider my statement and it looks already to be just 2million in 2019. Sure there's the existing years + secondhand market to accumulate but a loooooooong way to get to 1 billion (1,000,000,000 Oculus VR Users).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry...I misread your statement. I read the 1,000,000,000 as 1,000,000. I just woke up. But my point was that there's roughly 1,000,000 Rift owners out there...and not all of them post or are even members of the forums. That doesn't make their opinions any less valid. Whether they leave for another headset maker or not is irrelevant to my point.