cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Purchase Options After Rift S?

nick_hanssen_37
Honored Guest
So I'm planning to get an Oculus Rift with touch in May this year. The plan for the Rift S is to replace to Rift. After reading reviews and looking into it, it seems that the Rift is still the better option over the Rift S. Does anybody know if there will be any problems purchasing the original Rift after the S is released? 
45 REPLIES 45

MikeF
Trustee
it's already being discontinued, if you can find stock get it now

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Try to get your hands on them now, 'cause they are going bye-bye fast.

…or see what used Rifts become available. I probably wouldn't be keen on a used VR headset personally as they're pretty complex and delicate (compared to a mobile phones at least) so I suppose you'd need to know how well one's been treated.
But in advance, if I buy an S and end up not using my CV1, I can honestly say mine is perfect and would make an excelent used purchase 😉 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

So I'm planning to get an Oculus Rift with touch in May this year. The plan for the Rift S is to replace to Rift. After reading reviews and looking into it, it seems that the Rift is still the better option over the Rift S. Does anybody know if there will be any problems purchasing the original Rift after the S is released? 

Your new to VR and Rift so I would say get a Rift S as Rift S is designed for YOU, it has better optics then the first Rift edition so I think it's a much better option for you, and I also think you will be happy with the tracking also.

Rift S is a refresh of Rift CV1 and if your coming into VR for the first time then I would highly recommend Rift S with Touch 2.0, I believe you will be very happy with your purchase, it's a bargain at £400. 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

CrashFu
Consultant
Per forums rules I don't think I'm allowed to say that I would sell you my spare rift for $400 + shipping...

Buuuuut if you really don't want a Rift-S, there are certainly people you could buy a CV1 from.  :innocent:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Honestly - if you are just now getting into VR - I would recommend getting the Rift S as it'll still be a good starting VR headset unless you had a taste of the current tracking - you will have a fresh start on how VR works and over all for the price feel like it's amazing to get into. Most people that try the Rift S still says it's amazing jump for what it is even after using the CV1.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Most people that try the Rift S still says it's amazing jump for what it is even after using the CV1.

I saw none of this "amazing jump" sentiment from first-hand reviewers like Tested and MRTV. Quite the opposite, in fact. Nor is it an "amazing jump" based on its specifications.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

Most people that try the Rift S still says it's amazing jump for what it is even after using the CV1.

I saw none of this "amazing jump" sentiment from first-hand reviewers like Tested and MRTV. Quite the opposite, in fact. Nor is it an "amazing jump" based on its specifications.

In terms of setup time and getting into VR - that still night and day compare to setting up cameras, making sure they point in the right direction, and running cables around the room. Like I said, for what it is. It's still a downgrade/trade off in many other ways though.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
In terms of setup time and getting into VR - that still night and day compare to setting up cameras

A point argued and refuted plenty last week... where there are new tracking blindspots introduced with inside-out tracking, so it's not exactly "night and day" in a good way. I mean, you might as well argue that Cardboard VR is better since it requires zero setup time! Never mind the "tradeoff" of reduced immersion and lack of 6DOF.