cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trover Saves the Universe - reviews and impressions - an amazing VR experience!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Trailer:

Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051200/Trover_Saves_the_Universe/

ABOUT THIS GAME

From the co-creator of Rick and Morty comes Trover Saves the Universe.

Your dogs have been dognapped by a beaked lunatic named Glorkon who stuffed them into his eye holes and is using their life essence to destroy the universe. You're partnered with Trover, a little purple eye-hole monster who isn’t a huge fan of working or being put in the position of having to save the universe. He’s also not that big a fan of you quite frankly, and neither am I. (Jk, you’re great)

Only you and Trover can save everything in this bizarre comedy adventure, created by Justin Roiland!

• A comedy adventure filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices. See how the best intentions can go horribly awry.

• You control Trover's movements, but not his mouth. He’s got a lot to say about what’s going on in the game.

• Travel the cosmos to experience a variety of weird alien planets and bizarre characters with big personalities.

• Upgrade Trover AND YOURSELF with new abilities to (hopefully) defeat Glorkon while evading awkward situations.

• You'll be immersed in weirdness, no matter which display you use. Switch between TV, monitor or VR headset displays* whenever you want.

*Additional hardware required.

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION

The developers describe the content like this:

Blood and Gore
Drug Reference
Mature Humor
Strong Language
Violence

rzp6tea27sk5.jpg

sg8719cpo0og.jpg

kt2s980gwbie.jpg

5j64o10vxdmi.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

75 REPLIES 75

CrashFu
Consultant
Now when you say "Out for Rift June 4" do you mean an Oculus Home release is confirmed for that date, or are you just talking the usual half-assed Rift support in SteamVR?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

CrashFu said:

Now when you say "Out for Rift June 4" do you mean an Oculus Home release is confirmed for that date, or are you just talking the usual half-assed Rift support in SteamVR?

It's the usual half-assed Rift support in SteamVR :blush: The devs have not mentioned Oculus Home support - but we'll see. And we don't know yet if it's really half-assed - Polybius was totally awesome on the Rift - the devs even ran the game outside SteamVR - even though the game needs to be bought through Steam. Trover will probasbly not have this kind of Rift support, but I'm not sure it'll be a big problem, SkyrimVR and Doom VFR actually work great in SteamVR. 

I do get the feeling that Trover and I will do our best to save the universe, even if we have to go through Steam  B)  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary

CrashFu said:

Come on mate this is almost as bad as some of the anti oculus sentiment some give. Steam is a storefront just like oculus and there are plenty of titles which the Devs have clearly spent a lot of time getting working just right in VR on steam including the rift .

Even IF it is steam store only title it does not necessarily mean half assed.

(Of course it might be but we just don't know)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

CrashFu
Consultant

CrashFu said:

Come on mate this is almost as bad as some of the anti oculus sentiment some give. Steam is a storefront just like oculus and there are plenty of titles which the Devs have clearly spent a lot of time getting working just right in VR on steam including the rift .

Even IF it is steam store only title it does not necessarily mean half assed.

(Of course it might be but we just don't know)

If a game's devs have actually gone to the effort of proper Oculus support, they'd have no reason not to release on Oculus Home, especially considering the market dominance of the Rift. That's been the case with almost every multi-platform VR game worth playing.

If a game releases exclusively on SteamVR, that's a sign that it either wasn't good enough to pass Oculus' minimum quality standards, or that it was developed exclusively for the Vive, and the Rift support is just incidental or an afterthought  (in which case it probably won't work well, if at all)

I have no doubt that Trover passes the quality check, so the question is whether the developers give a rat's ass about Rift owners. Considering their previous VR games were advertised very prominently as Vive-exclusives when they first came out, and only got Oculus releases long afterwards,  I would bet on them making us a distant afterthought yet again.    (That, or Valve paid them for limited-time exclusivity.  Not that they'd ever admit to it, after how much of a stink Newell made over Oculus-funded games not being on Steam)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
........ WOW that trailer pretty much screams adult.
WAAAGH!

Digikid1
Consultant
Too much swearing. 

CrashFu
Consultant
Just noticed this is also available (for preorder) on the Epic Games Store, so I guess I'll get to play it after all.  :wink:

CrashFu
Consultant
Oh hey, look, Trover preorders temporarily $16.99 on the Epic Store:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/trover-saves-the-universe/home

(And every other game that is $14.99 or above, including preorders and games already on sale, get an automatic $10 discount.  Yes, that's $10, not 10% )

pyroth309
Visionary
I like games like this, they usually keep me entertained and laughing.