cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Cooling Mods

Captain_Dark_One
Explorer
So has anyone come up with or agreed to a good cooling mod?

I see an image of a 3D printed faceplate with a fan slot extension, but they have not shared the STL file.
I know a simple one is just sticking it on with double-sided foam tape, but with too much shaking that can fall off easily.
22 REPLIES 22

MrDood12
Expert Protege
this is my solution, it only cools your forehead though. in my case it's not important to cool the inside of my rift with air as it'll dry out my eyes.
0kvq3ucw9ha6.jpg
I used the Vive 'n Chill that i superglued on a Velcro strip that holds on the Velcro on the side. with a USB powerbank on the top strap in a way so you won't notice it.

and offtopic : the modmic 5 on the side since my rift microphone sounded super muffled.

Captain_Dark_One
Explorer
Well I am gonna try this one first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVGOElOMBo

Instead of a USB cable and a powerpack I have glued a 9V battery to the fan as well.
Didnt have a 9V connector or an old 9V battery to splice together a connector, so just made the negative end wire into a hook to place in the connection and take it out when not needed

uospwyxd9byp.jpg

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
Here's my solution: Horns of Coolness.  Also makes a great Touch holder 😉

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
I also have @Techy111 's fan, but @Captain_Dark_One is right - you also need a way to blow into the HMD.

I don't think you will be happy, Captain, with the blower underneath unless you keep your mic muted - that is where the mics are.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

Captain_Dark_One
Explorer
Horns? Or chicken legs? 😄 

I was hoping this guy would have released this stl files for this
Or rather I wish I was good at CAD so I could make my own using the file oculus shared.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/57chcl/cooling_venting_fan_for_facial_interface/

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
That design covers at least one LED.  Probably OK, but I set out to make sure none were obscured when I designed mine  (which is why it is a little weird coming up away from the HMD).  Chicken legs?  You got some funky chickens where you live!  :smile:
 -Groucho Marx

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody,

just stumbled over this thread.
My name is Daniel and i´m from germany.

I would like to introduce my cooling kit for the Rift.

Since i love endurance sim racing it was time to do something against fogging Rift lenses and glasses.

Therefore i created the Cooling Kit for the Oculus Rift CV1.

Main part is a 3D printed part that replaces the Oculus facial
interface. On it you can mount a fan that gently sucks air out of the
Rift and prevents any type of fogging.
After ordering the rest of the parts needed, you can assemble the Kit.

To not make it a miracle a manual for the assembly can be found on my homepage.

See the pictures to get an idea.

pktvt27h3rd4.jpgch9tqdj2492g.jpgllvzcj1ecg2k.jpg6a0n4f4qa2hr.jpg

Overall price if you order the parts mentioned in the manual is about 80USD.

It depends on the parts you choose except the 3d printed one.

I use this solution since Octobre 2018, and i won´t miss it anymore

What you think of it?

Oppinions are very welcome

Cheers Daniel

PS.: Hope it is OK to post it here!!

ivankio
Honored Guest

Therefore i created the Cooling Kit for the Oculus Rift CV1.

Main part is a 3D printed part that replaces the Oculus facial
interface. On it you can mount a fan that gently sucks air out of the
Rift and prevents any type of fogging.
After ordering the rest of the parts needed, you can assemble the Kit.

Overall price if you order the parts mentioned in the manual is about 80USD.

It depends on the parts you choose except the 3d printed one.

I use this solution since Octobre 2018, and i won´t miss it anymore

What you think of it?

Oppinions are very welcome

Consider selling only the model file on a site like Cult3d or similar. I'm from Brazil and wouldn't buy from Shapeways because of shipping and taxes that will more than double Shapeway's price. I imagine more VR enthusiasts are also enthusiasts about 3d printing and have already a 3d printer at home.

feelreal
Protege
We have included cooling feature into Feelreal Multisensory VR Mask. As a whole, the Mask is designed to add smells and haptic feedback to VR, but also its two powerful micro coolers cool down your face and headset, and help prevent lens fogging. 
Virtual reality will feel so real...
...with Feelreal  ❤️ 

Pre-order World's First Multisensory VR Mask on Indiegogo now:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/feelreal-the-world-s-first-multisensory-vr-mask--2

ZingBingDing
Honored Guest

Well I am gonna try this one first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVGOElOMBo

Instead of a USB cable and a powerpack I have glued a 9V battery to the fan as well.
Didnt have a 9V connector or an old 9V battery to splice together a connector, so just made the negative end wire into a hook to place in the connection and take it out when not needed

uospwyxd9byp.jpg

If you make me one I'll send you money over paypal lmao