cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I will admit that I am disappointed with the Rift-S but not because it is a disappointing product (it's far from that, it's literally both bleeding edge and leading edge), but because Facebook and Oculus have turned me in to a spoiled sheit with 3 years of amazeballs.
😛

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

If people want a low end Rift for their low end PC's why don't Ouclus just keep the OG Rift and keep making it cheaper. The price could of been Go price one day. Lots more people would jump on then. OG Rift for low end PC and a new Rift CV2 for high end PC users. Kinda like the Vive and Vive Pro. Though please be better than the Vive Pro. 

Because despite what people think, Oculus Rift -S is an upgrade and it's only $50 more then the current CV1. It has higher resolution screens, better lenses and is much easier to setup. You could also argue that it's mobile because with a Laptop on your back you could use it anywhere. You can also take it to another place were there's a desktop PC and not have to fart around setting up sensors. 

People like things to work right out of the box and Oculus Quest and Rift -S will do that unless theirs faulty of-course. Setting up 3 sensors for room scale VR not only looks untidy with leads going here and there, but it's a pain to setup for some people. You just have to read the Oculus forums to know this is true. What with USB problems and the power options mess about, it's just not made easy enough. Inside Out tracking is the way forward and even Vive will take this approach. I'm afraid you will have to move with the times because I don't think any VR company is going to start using outside in tracking in the future.

Once Oculus has enough people in VR, then might be the time to create a higher end headset for people who can afford such luxuries. Right now though they want more people in VR and they want the setup to be as easy as possible.

Also, Vive Pro is the higher end headset, so why don't you just buy that instead? You have the option to buy a higher-end one already is what I'm saying. You will probably need a Geforce 2080Ti for games with good graphics though because of the higher resolution screens it uses.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Because despite what people think, Oculus Rift -S is an upgrade

In some ways yes it's an upgrade, and in other ways it's a downgrade. No point restarted the debate all over again. We've seen the specifications being argued for about a week. Until we've all tried it first-hand, we're stuck knowing that, on paper, there are parts that are upgraded and parts that are downgraded. Nate Mitchell of Oculus himself acknowledges this, and he refers to the downgraded aspect as "trade-offs."

I don't think we're doing either Facebook nor Oculus any favors by portraying these trade-offs as "not" being trade-offs. If everything about Rift-S was an upgrade, then there wouldn't be any trade-offs.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Zenbane - It's a downgrade because the current Rift uses outside in tracking, but can that really be classed as a downgrade if inside out tracking will be the future of VR headsets from now on? Some will see it as an upgrade that you don't have to mess about with sensors and that it also makes Rift -S more portable. The only complaint is that is might have some slight blocking behind your head, which software will fix like we have seen with the Samsung odyssey that only has 2 camera's.

The audio isn't a problem because I suspect Oculus will bring out some earphones now some people have complained, but I'll use my gaming ones which are better then the current Rifts audio.

Apart from what I've mentioned above, I can't think of anything else that is a downgrade. I don't even think what I've mentioned above really makes the Rift -S a downgrade though tbh.

Edit: Also, I was replying to someone to better inform them why it's not a great idea for Oculus to make a highend headset that costs more money. Just buy a Vive Pro if you want a highend headset that costs more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

@Zenbane - It's a downgrade because the current Rift uses outside in tracking, but can that really be classed as a downgrade if inside out tracking will be the future of VR headsets from now on? Some will see it as an upgrade that you don't have to mess about with sensors and that it also makes Rift -S more portable. The only complaint is that is might have some slight blocking behind your head, which software will fix like we have seen with the Samsung odyssey that only has 2 camera's.

The audio isn't a problem because I suspect Oculus will bring out some earphones now some people have complained, but I'll use my gaming ones which are better then the current Rifts audio.

Apart from what I've mentioned above, I can't think of anything else that is a downgrade. I don't even think what I've mentioned above really makes the Rift -S a downgrade though tbh.

Edit: Also, I was replying to someone to better inform them why it's not a great idea for Oculus to make a highend headset that costs more. Just buy a Vive Pro if you want a highend headset that costs more.

Just got back to page 6 and read the M-Wall:) but to make this short - there is till another price point that doesn't break into Vive Pro price point that still would allow some great upgrades while over all giving options to people that want no trade-offs and provide a better experiences over all. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

Edit: Also, I was replying to someone to better inform them why it's not a great idea for Oculus to make a highend headset that costs more. Just buy a Vive Pro if you want a highend headset that costs more.

Just got back to page 6 and read the M-Wall:) but to make this short - there is till another price point that doesn't break into Vive Pro price point that still would allow some great upgrades while over all giving options to people that want no trade-offs and provide a better experiences over all. 

Yes, it's called the Oculus Rift 2, but it's not ready yet. When it is ready it will arrive at a good price and have most of what people want. Until then if you want something highend then buy a Vive Pro, if price doesn't bother you. They've already said they are probably going to offer audio to the Rift -S, by adding some over the ear speakers, so I'm interested to know what more you want?

I also read that Carmack said they would have used Oculus GO screens in the Oculus Quest had Oculus GO come before Oculus Quest, so what else is it you want other than something similar to a Vive Pro?

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Yes, it's called the Oculus Rift 2, but it's not ready yet. When it is ready it will arrive at a good price and have most of what people want. Until then if you want something highend then buy a Vive Pro, if price doesn't bother you. They've already said they are probably going to offer audio to the Rift -S, by adding some over the ear speakers, so I'm interested to know what more you want?

I also read that Carmack said they would have used Oculus GO screens in the Oculus Quest had Oculus GO come before Oculus Quest, so what else is it you want other than something similar to a Vive Pro?

IDK, maybe the IDP adjustment back and per eye screens vs single display:)? OLED vs LCD - my full 90Hz back and the higher resolution found on the Quest along with my over ear headphones back:)? Hell keep the head strap - offer a hing so I can lift it up to get in and out of VR quickly for the short time I just need to for whatever reason. Boom - a true upgrade vs trade off update. Sure wont be a 2.0 - but at least then it be a 1.5 upgrade vs a <1.5 it is now. I can live with the new tracking design as a trade off - but the other things would is just too much of trade off not to worry about the direction Oculus is going.

Who knows if we are really getting a CV2 now though - if they are trying to keep the same price point - that be another 6 years. I mean that is your argument correct? Base off trying to go mass market - a CV2 wont be out for a long long time as you will have to scale the parts to match that low of a price point if entry is your goal. Are you saying you rather wait 6 more years? Lots of people also don't like the GO screen after using the OLED panels. Are you saying those people's options don't matter either? Lots of people also don't like GO either that cause them to have headaches and eye wear. Are you saying GO is a good example of the high end? I mean if you want to compare what Carmack said to what customers have said.. go right a head.

How is the Vive Pro wands similar to Oculus controllers? How is Vive Pro software similar to Oculus Store? I think the argument between getting a Vive Pro and a higher end headset from Oculus is a stupid one at best and a misleading understanding of the major differences each brand offers a worst. Hell if you hit the target higher end 800 you still come in under 300$ that of the Vive Pro if you include everything. Are you telling me there isn't a difference between 800 vs 1100? Are you telling me Oculus and Vive are a 1:1 in their software?

I can tell you didn't read the whole post - because I already cover a lot of what you said with a counter argument.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@Zenbane - It's a downgrade because

I understand what the trade-offs are, and why they happened. It was debated for a week. There are more than one area where it is a downgrade, and you can read the various thread on the subject to get a clear picture. As I said, we don't need to re-start the debates all over again. We need to move forward with the facts known.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

IDK, maybe the IDP adjustment back and per eye screens vs single display:)? OLED vs LCD - my full 90Hz back and the higher resolution found on the Quest along with my over ear headphones back:)? Hell keep the head strap - offer a hing so I can lift it up to get in and out of VR quickly for the short time I just need to for whatever reason. Boom - a true upgrade vs trade off update. Sure wont be a 2.0 - but at least then it be a 1.5 upgrade vs a <1.5 it is now. I can live with the new tracking design as a trade off - but the other things would is just too much of trade off not to worry about the direction Oculus is going.

I can tell you didn't read the whole post - because I already cover a lot of what you said with a counter argument.

I can also tell you also didn't read my post. I read that someone said Carmack would have used the Lcd screen in the Oculus Quest had Oculus GO come before Oculus Quest. Well that is what @snowdog said in another post anyways :). If that's correct he obviously thinks that the Lcd is better and having had the Oculus Go, I can confirm it looks so much better then the current Rift and will work great with mid range Nvida cards, which means more people being able to get into VR.

I also said Oculus were considering adding headphones. Well not me who said it, it was Oculus themselves that said it. 

IPD for people out of range not sure until we get feedback, but I agree. Maybe adding a hinge may have prevented glasses users wearing Rift -S. The Rift -S lifts forward for glasses, so it might of being difficult to add a hinge for that reason. A hinge doesn't cost much so they must have had a reason for not adding it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I can also tell you also didn't read my post. I read that someone said Carmack would have used the Lcd screen in the Oculus Quest had Oculus GO come before Oculus Quest. 

Oh I did, "Lots of people also don't like GO either that cause them to have headaches and eye wear. Are you saying GO is a good example of the high end? I mean if you want to compare what Carmack said to what customers have said.. go right a head." Again - I dont think you are reading it all. Plus cutting out 30% of the IDP chap seems a bit weird. Granted you can't cover everyone - but 30% is still a pretty high number. Ideally you want less than 10 to 5%.

Na, Nate said him self - they didn't add one because of the cost only. Glasses have nothing to do with it. Your glasses fit inside the headset or just hold onto them as you flip up the headset.