cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Disappointment Thread so Oculus knows our feedback!

Cyion
Protege
Hello Oculus,

I just would like to express my severe disappointment at the now confirmed features of the Oculus Rift S.

Here are the deal breakers for me (ranked from biggest deal breaker to smallest):

#1 - Lack of outside-in tracking (was hoping for something of the level of tracking that the vive has without having to plug 3 usb sensors in and all the hell that comes with that because of crappy motherboards/cords etc.)

The reason this bothers me so much is I play games like Echo Arena and you need AMAZING tracking, I am constantly pushing off walls that are completely behind my back without looking and inside out tracking is insufficient.  I also will take a swing behind my back without looking and again inside out tracking won't cut it.

#2 - Lack of a physical IPD adjustment

My IPD has to be bang on or I end up getting headaches after playing longer then 2 hours.  If it is even 1 mm off, the headaches happen, if it is set just right, I can play for 8 hour plus with no side effects.  I cannot play test a rift S to find out if it will give me headaches for more then 2 hours.

#3 - No option to set your refresh rate to 90 Hz

If you want the default refresh rate to be 80 Hz fine, but give me the option to allow it to be 90 Hz.  When the fps gets lower than 90 fps I notice it and it does not feel good for me.

#4 - Lack of quality headphone included with the headset

I love the sound on my rift CV1 and I will not accept anything less and I don't want to have another wire that my hand can bump into when I am playing highly competitive games since I would have to plug in my own headphones.

The small jump in resolution doesn't outweigh all the negatives I have mentioned above and a slight increase in the FOV would have been nice!

I think Oculus has failed in that they should have been developing the Rift S and another new Rift headset that is geared towards those enthusiasts who are willing to pay a bit more for a QUALITY headset.  You have made an AFFORDABLE headset that will get a lot of new people into VR but you have neglected the wants of a LARGE CORE (enthusiasts) of your fans!

Your future headsets has to have a outside in tracking option and an physical adjustable IPD or I will never buy another oculus headset.  At this point I don't want to wait another 2 years for a new proper headset that meets these requirements and my money will likely go to another company that pulls this off in the mean time.  I wish I bought all of my games on the steam store now.  Wouldn't have imagined Oculus's next headset would be so contrary to what I want.

Sincerely,

Cyion
231 REPLIES 231

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

I can also tell you also didn't read my post. I read that someone said Carmack would have used the Lcd screen in the Oculus Quest had Oculus GO come before Oculus Quest. 

OH I did, "Lots of people also don't like GO either that cause them to have headaches and eye wear. Are you saying GO is a good example of the high end? I mean if you want to compare what Carmack said to what customers have said.. go right a head." Again - I dont think you are reading it all.

Like I already said, I agreed with you about the ipd. There's also plenty of people who really like Oculus Go though. According to Oculus it is a very popular VR headset. No I'm not saying Oculus GO is an example of highend VR, I just said the Oculus GO looks so much better then the current Rift and that is the screens that Rift -S uses. Are you saying that Oculus GO doesn't look better then the current Rift or something?

There more to a highend headset then just screen resolutions. The Rift -S offers so much more for just $199 more then Oculus GO.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

I can also tell you also didn't read my post. I read that someone said Carmack would have used the Lcd screen in the Oculus Quest had Oculus GO come before Oculus Quest. 

Oh I did, "Lots of people also don't like GO either that cause them to have headaches and eye wear. Are you saying GO is a good example of the high end? I mean if you want to compare what Carmack said to what customers have said.. go right a head." Again - I dont think you are reading it all. Plus cutting out 30% of the IDP chap seems a bit weird. Granted you can't cover everyone - but 30% is still a pretty high number. Ideally you want less than 10 to 5%.

Na, Nate said him self - they didn't add one because of the cost only. Glasses have nothing to do with it. Your glasses fit inside the headset or just hold onto them as you flip up the headset.

Some people have had headaches with the Oculus Go because the Oculus Go has a fixed IPD setting of 64. We don't know the range of IPD that the Rift S has available yet, my suspicion would be because they're still working on it, but someone on Reddit with an IPD of 72 had no problems using it during his 30 minute demo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:
Like I already said, I agreed with you about the ipd. There's also plenty of people who really like Oculus Go though. According to Oculus it is a very popular VR headset. No I'm not saying Oculus GO is an example of highend VR, I just said the Oculus GO looks so much better then the current Rift and that is the screens that Rift -S uses. Are you saying that Oculus GO don't look better then the current Rift or something?

Most of that arrangement you have to understand why it is better and that GO it self isn't the reason it's better. GO it self shouldn't been seen as a prime example of high end and shouldn't be copy for high end usage.

What makes the GO better than the current CV1 alone was age and time. GO was using better lenses and screen technology that follow the CV1. In this case - TIME was a big factor to make the GO better than what the CV1 was because it built on what they learn from CV1.

LCD doesn't look better alone because it is LCD - no it's because of using full RGB looks way better than pen til. That was discuss way back when CV1 was release. We wanted full RGB over OLED back in the day. It wasn't possible yet because they needed more time to scale their OLED lines (and they did).

Really, there isn't a reason why higher end PCVR can't use these and still split it self off from GO. The use of a single displays remove IDP - you can't have IDP without dual screens in this case. Plus the fact that a single displays loses some of the PPD because of the over lap.

So yes, GO wouldn't look better than CV1 if they did go for full RGB OLED screens and new lenses.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:

Oh I did, "Lots of people also don't like GO either that cause them to have headaches and eye wear. Are you saying GO is a good example of the high end? I mean if you want to compare what Carmack said to what customers have said.. go right a head." Again - I dont think you are reading it all. Plus cutting out 30% of the IDP chap seems a bit weird. Granted you can't cover everyone - but 30% is still a pretty high number. Ideally you want less than 10 to 5%.

Na, Nate said him self - they didn't add one because of the cost only. Glasses have nothing to do with it. Your glasses fit inside the headset or just hold onto them as you flip up the headset.

Some people have had headaches with the Oculus Go because the Oculus Go has a fixed IPD setting of 64. We don't know the range of IPD that the Rift S has available yet, my suspicion would be because they're still working on it, but someone on Reddit with an IPD of 72 had no problems using it during his 30 minute demo.

Check out this latest video on Rift-S:

The user gets headaches from Oculus GO (which also has no physical IPD adjustment) but did not get any headaches from Rift-S. He admits that he only had a small time frame to show it, but more testing is coming this week.

I didn't know the Go had a fixed IPD.
Every now & then people say useful stuff 😜 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found out after buying it. Everything looks slightly blurry to me in the Go. This was not a good move on the part of Oculus. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't know what my IPD is, but my GO has always looked glorious to me!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

I don't know what my IPD is, but my GO has always looked glorious to me!

You are obviously very average, 😉

I guess they went with an average IPD but wouldn't be great if you're too far away from that. I haven't measured mine properly but 69 seems to be the most comfortable in CV1. @Dooguk , yeah, I may have also had problems with a Go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess they went with an average IPD but wouldn't be great if you're too far away from that. I haven't measured mine properly but 69 seems to be the most comfortable in CV1. @Dooguk , yeah, I may have also had problems with a Go.

I seem to remember they went with an IPD of 64. I have my CV1 set to 68 and looks great. Constantly trying to get your eyes to focus would be a good way of getting a headache. :s