Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Techy111 said:

For pushing the pixels and future proof then yes, grab a 2080ti 😉 retire that poor old 980 !!!

I had a 980 and pre ordered a 2080ti. I was dissapointed with the specs but hung on in there. The straw which broke the camel's back for me was the company were deliberately borking the power delivery compared to their premium model to artificially make the more expensive card attractive . I got a £580 1080ti instead which sits all day around 2ghz and a 1ghz.OC on the memory under benchmark load.
The 2080ti IS a great card however . I do think this generation is a skippable one however. If it were me right now with a 980 I would pick up the cheapest 2070 you can find. It will be a nice step up from a 980 and use it to ride out this generation and go balls to the wall top end on the 7nm refresh.
This is of course ignoring AMD. I am not sure how good AMD is in VR but at the mid range the Vega 56 and 64 is pretty good when you factor in the free games. Worth thinking about.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
+1 on what he said ^^^ 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

pyroth309
Visionary

Techy111 said:

Just for your info, I had a 1080 and the jump from that to a 2080ti was measured close to a 50% increase in pixel power 🙂

Then that's even crazier. And Yea, what bigmike said is valid. 7nm/Ampere should be a big jump, holding off with a incremental update might be smarter since you're going for a Rift-S.

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm redownloading VRmark myself to test my system. I was looking at bad numbers. This article mirrors what you said Techy. https://uploadvr.com/rtx-2080-performance-benchmark/ ;

I hadn't looked at the performance metrics since the 2080TI came out and when all the problems people were having with them happened I ruled it out and haven't revisited until this morning.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
It is a beast, a pricey one but a beast mate. Even the 2080 over the 1080 is worth it imo

Oh and I'm going down the reverb path 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

pyroth309
Visionary

Techy111 said:

It is a beast, a pricey one but a beast mate. Even the 2080 over the 1080 is worth it imo

Oh and I'm going down the reverb path 😉

That's why I'm re-downloading VRMark right now. I might spring for a 2080 as a hold me over and still go for an Ampere.

pyroth309
Visionary
Ok i figured out what happened, with my CPU, the Orange benchmarks only show a 20% bump for the 2080 and 30% for 2080TI. The Blue shows a 34% bump for the 2080 and a 53% bump for the 2080TI. Yeaaa I think I might be ordering a 2080 lol. I just wish Nvidia would give a hint on when Ampere is coming.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

I  certainly will, my aim is to be first on the purchase list !!!!

😉 
I will likely be right there with ya.

Anonymous
Not applicable
When overclocking your GPUs take care not to go overboard with your GDDR5 overclock. Doing so can negatively affect your framerates.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Great interview with Jason Ruben of Oculus on both Quest and Rift-S