New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will Rift -S be £300 in the United Kingdom?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,016 Valuable Player
edited March 2019 in General
Some people are saying it's £399, but it's $399, which makes it £300 in the UK. Can anyone confirm the price in the UK and if not when will we get to find out?

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,483 Valuable Player
    It'll be £399, all of the Oculus VR hardware has been the exact same amount of pounds as dollars so far, I can't see any reason why they'll change it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 772
    3Jane
    edited March 2019
    Yeah i doubt it will be £300, as stated above expect a $ for £ match on this.....but i expect it to drop quite quickly seeing as at launch most companies sell for as much as they think people are willing to pay at the launch of something, then when sales start to slow after launch they start dropping the price or add value to the product, so if the launch price is too high wait it out a bit.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,304 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    It'll be £399, all of the Oculus VR hardware has been the exact same amount of pounds as dollars so far, I can't see any reason why they'll change it.

My thoughts too - and €449. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    This.

Rift was £349 and $349 on Oculus' UK and US websites respectively, Go is £199 and $199 for the 32GB model.
    Oculus has never applied exchange rates unfortunately, like so many hardware and software companies from across the pond.

Well I suppose that's better than companies applying some sort of inverse exchange rate... 3ds max being £216/month and $190/month... I haven't checked adobe lately but I suspect something similar.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Put it this way, when I ask them "so, how much do you want for this then?" will be followed by "ok here's £300 because I still gotta buy bloody headphones and all that weight is more than my old Rift! Take it before I withdraw!"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,738 Valuable Player
    To play fair - you guys also get another year of warranty for the price differences (because by law it is force). Here in the US - its only one year.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,016 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Put it this way, when I ask them "so, how much do you want for this then?" will be followed by "ok here's £300 because I still gotta buy bloody headphones and all that weight is more than my old Rift! Take it before I withdraw!"

The weight of the headset won't matter much tbh. I've tried the PS -VR and it's super comfy and Rift -S has the same design. The PS -VR feels more like wearing a hat and the CV1 grips your face which I don't like. I can tolerate CV1, but only with the PV cover from VR cover.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    This.

Rift was £349 and $349 on Oculus' UK and US websites respectively, Go is £199 and $199 for the 32GB model.
    Oculus has never applied exchange rates unfortunately, like so many hardware and software companies from across the pond.

Well I suppose that's better than companies applying some sort of inverse exchange rate... 3ds max being £216/month and $190/month... I haven't checked adobe lately but I suspect something similar.
    The $349 price is accepted as the silent "Clearance" price. $349 was only announced in January, and was essentially globally sold out a month later.

It seems Oculus will be maintaining a $399 price for Rift (barring sales).
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2019
    To be fair $399 will be excluding tax where as £399 will include VAT @ 20%
    Fair point bigmike, I keep forgetting about tax law in the US, isn't there sales tax over there? I guess that varies from state to state or something.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,174
    Wintermute
    To be fair $399 will be excluding tax where as £399 will include VAT @ 20%
    And import duty at whatever it is at the time.
    $ = £ when duty & taxes are added, roughly so I was calculating on the same :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,321
    Wintermute
    Mradr said:
    To play fair - you guys also get another year of warranty for the price differences (because by law it is force). Here in the US - its only one year.
    the 2-year warranty that Europeans enjoy appears to be as a result of EU law, so quite what happens to the UK after the April 12th BREXIT, or whenever it will be, will be interesting to see.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    edited March 2019
    Brexit will release alongside knuckles and halflife 3 I bet !
    Be good, die great !
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,321
    Wintermute
    ...or CV2 maybe??  😏
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Dotn forget import tax and VAT :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,016 Valuable Player
    edited March 2019
    Greyman said:
    Mradr said:
    the 2-year warranty that Europeans enjoy appears to be as a result of EU law, so quite what happens to the UK after the April 12th BREXIT, or whenever it will be, will be interesting to see.

I never thought about that when I created this thread. 

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74531/amazonuk-1-year-warranty-on-rift-in-the-uk#latest
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    So, how much are we going to ask for our Rifts on ebay/Gumtree etc then?

I reckon £200 - though my headband plastic is starting to turn white, which is an off-putter for buyers