Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Something I really like about the difference between the Store Front's for both Quest and Rift-S:
  • Rift-S will continue to allow Early Access content, for dev's to experiment and PCVR users to engage in early access content.
  • Quest will be only finished, final products.
I think this is great.

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

When overclocking your GPUs take care not to go overboard with your GDDR5 overclock. Doing so can negatively affect your framerates.

This can happen with System Ram too and can effect your tracking. I had to reduce my Ram Speed because of some tracking microstuttering.

inovator
Consultant
Agreed. The quest is making more of an attempt for mainstream and unfinished games would not help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"its a choice not a force" LOLOOLOLOLOL "We are no longer selling the CV1"

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

Great interview with Jason Ruben of Oculus on both Quest and Rift-S

This was a good look into their thinking. After the Rift-S reveal that's pretty much what I deduced just from the design of it after my initial disappointment subsided. They're still trying to get as many people as they can into VR and remove as many barriers to entry as possible. Releasing a "CV2" would make me and a lot of people on this board very happy but the average joe blow out there can't afford it. I just kinda wish they could do both but I also understand the cost with that is probably not worth it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was a good look into their thinking. After the Rift-S reveal that's pretty much what I deduced just from the design of it after my initial disappointment subsided. They're still trying to get as many people as they can into VR and remove as many barriers to entry as possible. Releasing a "CV2" would make me and a lot of people on this board very happy but the average joe blow out there can't afford it. I just kinda wish they could do both.

It sounds more like comp-out honestly. He repeated things that every manufacturer has to deal with and do it well. Even startups can produce more than one SKU to support more than one group of users. I mean the comment like, "its a choice not a force" and at the same time stop selling CV1 is just an example of, "We know, but we just don't care" to me. Basically - we wont be seeing a CV2 for a few more years from what it is sounding like and the Rift S is the carry over until then. Aka, the Rift S is the new high end and their "upgrade" because there isn't another headset coming out any time soon in the "pro" market. More or less, this guy just gave me and everyone else that wants a higher end headset the middle finger for people that just want low cost headsets even though the cost of entry isnt the headset - but the PC it self. Amazing!

inovator
Consultant
OMG I didn't know I wouldn't have to pay again for rift ported games to the quest. I want to play for example the climb and superhot again without the wires on the quest which will make it a very different experience.

CrashFu
Consultant

inovator said:

OMG I didn't know I wouldn't have to pay again for rift ported games to the quest. I want to play for example the climb and superhot again without the wires on the quest which will make it a very different experience.

He did mention that this would be up to the individual developers whether they opt for it or not  (As it should be) but yeah, this will be awesome for owners of multiple devices!

Combined with the cross-play feature (also a big deal!  Means those games' multiplayer communities won't be divided up)  I wonder if it will be possible for a household with both a Rift(-S) and a Quest to log in to the same game, from the same Oculus account, and play together?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Something I really like about the difference between the Store Front's for both Quest and Rift-S:
  • Rift-S will continue to allow Early Access content, for dev's to experiment and PCVR users to engage in early access content.
I think this is great.

Great for us Rift CV1 users, but maybe not so great for us Go users?  Sorry but I'm not sure why a CV1 user with a Go would actually buy a  Rift S or Quest?  Esp. if the Quest cannot use your current Go library (albeit 3dof).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ShocksVR
Superstar

TomCgcmfc said:

Zenbane said:

I think this is great.

Great for us Rift CV1 users, but maybe not so great for us Go users?  Sorry but I'm not sure why a CV1 user with a Go would actually buy a  Rift S or Quest?  Esp. if the Quest cannot use your current Go library (albeit 3dof).

I'm a CV1 w/ a GO. I'm buying Rift-S for the improved optics, tracking ease, new features like Passthrough+
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S